• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Am I doing organic fertilizer right for my pepper plants?

You definitely should not put vegetable oil or meat in your pepper garden... Oil will suffocate roots, and meat goes bad and attracts the wrong microorganisms and trash pandas. Beer and vinegar will not help you either, sounds like a perfectly good waste of beer. 
You seem to be overthinking it. You said you only started them a month ago in April? You need to take a little more of a laissez faire attitude towards the plants, if they are only a month old don't expect results immediately by burying a banana peel with them. Organics work, but its slower. Also, don't worry about calcium or any of that until you see a deficiency, most of the time your plants will not need supplementation of minerals because a lot of premixes already have them inside. 

Codeman said:

And for the molasses i would looking for unsulphured molasses?

Yes.  Only ever.  If you live in a rural area, you should be able to buy agricultural grade blackstrap for cheap.

solid7 said:

Yes.  Only ever.  If you live in a rural area, you should be able to buy agricultural grade blackstrap for cheap.

Would i be able to find this at a tractor supply place? My concern with fish emulsion is cats. Is there a organic one where it won't attract cats or other animals?

Codeman said:

Would i be able to find this at a tractor supply place? My concern with fish emulsion is cats. Is there a organic one where it won't attract cats or other animals?
I have a ton of feral cats in my neighborhood. I've always had a bit of a problem with them digging in the gardens, but mainly when they are relatively empty. This year ive started to use that Alaska liquid fish fertilizer, and I haven't noticed it attracting them at all. And now that my main garden is planted and mostly filled up, I haven't seen any evidence of them.

Now...my dog really wants to go and eat some of the dirt up right after I water with it, but I just have to give her a mean look, and she sulks away.

Codeman said:

Is it acidic? also where to buy?
It is slightly acidic(although, that may only be when fresh and green), but it doesn't actually translate to soil acidity. It is less acidic than rainwater.

I'm not sure where you can find it exactly. I've been lucky to get leftover bales from the university that are kind of old, and decomposing. I've got a couple of pine trees across the street from my house...just bring a wheelbarrow and rake a bunch up. Or check with your local nurseries(not home improvement stores), they might have bales for sale certain times of year.

peppamang said:
You definitely should not put vegetable oil or meat in your pepper garden... Oil will suffocate roots, and meat goes bad and attracts the wrong microorganisms and trash pandas. Beer and vinegar will not help you either, sounds like a perfectly good waste of beer. 
You seem to be overthinking it. You said you only started them a month ago in April? You need to take a little more of a laissez faire attitude towards the plants, if they are only a month old don't expect results immediately by burying a banana peel with them. Organics work, but its slower. Also, don't worry about calcium or any of that until you see a deficiency, most of the time your plants will not need supplementation of minerals because a lot of premixes already have them inside. 
That's right.  Never put kitchen waste like vegetable oil or meat directly into the soil but I don't think he's overthinking.  Kitchen waste is great plant food. Just need a way to break them down.  Also when microorganisms are activated, worm will increase in number, the result is healthier ecosystem. Many grower tends to focus only on nutrient, pesticide, fungicide ... but not the whole ecosystem.   I prefer to work with the nature, good thing will always happen.

I am having some trouble with my cherry tomatoe plant. It needs to be transplanted and no nutrients are in the soil. Could I use what solid suggested for my pepper plants on my tomato plant?

Kitchen scraps are OK but do not make the best compost due to the large water content
Leaf mould makes excellent compost

Powelly said:
Kitchen scraps are OK but do not make the best compost due to the large water content
Leaf mould makes excellent compost

Do you actually make compost?  Just curious...  You do weigh in  alot.  Please see my thread on compost, and let me know if you still think that kitchen scraps don't make good compost.

Well I bought mushroom compost, burpees tomato and veggie food,vermiculite. I basically dug out a quarter or a half of the soil. Took a cup of vermiculite,cup and a half of burpees tomato and veggie food,cup of mushroom compost and mixed it up. I think i will be ordering hydrolyzed fish and kelp emulsion by neptune.

solid7 said:

Do you actually make compost?  Just curious...  You do weigh in  alot.  Please see my thread on compost, and let me know if you still think that kitchen scraps don't make good compost.

Read what I wrote again, I said it doesn't make the best compost

It is very high in water and the nutrition is not the best, especially if they are store bought.
If you're composting with leaves from the dynamic accumulator thread I made the compost will be superior - I will post more about this as you're interested but it will take a while to gather everything for a good post

This video provides a nice illustration though - this is compost made only from pine bark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCtafUgoCX0

Powelly said:

Read what I wrote again, I said it doesn't make the best compost

Best or not - waste not, want not.  Growing a garden just for compost is an admirable feat, but half the reason to use kitchen scraps, is because you already have it.  And they do work, just fine.  I get more than I can use very year.
No proof whatsoever about the nutrient value of store bought food vs everything else, will be forthcoming.  Now you're bordering on religious statements. No credible scientific study has ever been published that validates your statement.  You should retract it.

solid7 said:

Best or not - waste not, want not.  Growing a garden just for compost is an admirable feat, but half the reason to use kitchen scraps, is because you already have it.  And they do work, just fine.  I get more than I can use very year.
No proof whatsoever about the nutrient value of store bought food vs everything else, will be forthcoming.  Now you're bordering on religious statements. No credible scientific study has ever been published that validates your statement.  You should retract it.

Yeah that's wrong - I'll post everything after I've collated it.

Brown - Green - Water - Turn is basic recipe for all compost heaps
If you want to save vegetable waste then ferment it in bokashi system first - high water content will make the heap go anaerobic - best to break that down anaerobically first then add to the heap

solid7 said:

solid7 said:

Oh, really...  So you don't consider worm bins compost heaps?

Convenience /= optimal

As said before vegetables and fruit can make good compost but it is not the best compost, that comes from green and brown organic matter especially leaf mould. A quick google will show you most recommend a 25:1 ratio of brown to green, kitchen refuse will be a very tiny percentage if you're aiming to make the best compost

I didn't say that a worm bin does not make compost, I'm not sure why you made that comment. However they prefer material that is already composted somewhat. They will not eat a fresh tomato or apple

Back