• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Am I doing organic fertilizer right for my pepper plants?

I was looking at alfalfa hay on amazon and someone here told me it is good mulch. what am i looking for in alfalfa hay? It shouldn't attract any animals right?  What is a good brand of alfalfa hay on amazon?

Codeman said:
I was looking at alfalfa hay on amazon and someone here told me it is good mulch. what am i looking for in alfalfa hay? It shouldn't attract any animals right?  What is a good brand of alfalfa hay on amazon?

Codeman said:
`
No duplicate content or cross-posting. Cross-posting is cutting and pasting or posting virtually the same content to multiple forum categories or even the same topic to bump it. Please choose the most appropriate forum for your post, and post it there. Cross-posting is considered spam, and clutters the forum.

Codeman said:

When I gave you that advice, I was really thinking that you'd be going to a feed store, and buying a 100lb bale. (3 straps)

There's gotta be a farm and feed store near Greensboro...

solid7 said:

When I gave you that advice, I was really thinking that you'd be going to a feed store, and buying a 100lb bale. (3 straps)

There's gotta be a farm and feed store near Greensboro...

Tractor supply place about 5 minutes from my house. My only concern is attracting animals.

Codeman said:

Tractor supply place about 5 minutes from my house. My only concern is attracting animals.
Reading all of your posts, you almost seem too concerned with attracting animals. I think just about anything you add to the garden has the potential to attract animals, or not attract animals. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Jubnat said:
Reading all of your posts, you almost seem too concerned with attracting animals. I think just about anything you add to the garden has the potential to attract animals, or not attract animals. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Agreed.  You can really only attract what's already there, anyway.

solid7 said:

Agreed.  You can really only attract what's already there, anyway.

Correct. I ordered neptunes harvest tomato and veg fertilizer 2-4-2.  now a need for mulch and thats it besides getting some wheat straw.

Codeman said:

Correct. I ordered neptunes harvest tomato and veg fertilizer 2-4-2.  now a need for mulch and thats it besides getting some wheat straw.

That stuff works good.  If you have Alaska Fish available in your area, don't be afraid to try it.  You may be surprised how effective it is for nearly half the cost.
So are you getting alfalfa hay AND wheat straw?  Or some other mulch?
Alfalfa hay will really cover you...  Straw will be cheaper, but the alfalfa hay will break down into something much more useable. 
Simple, simple, simple. 
14056968195_0e5b38a089_z.jpg

14057438764_1783a4cbb2_z.jpg

solid7 said:

That stuff works good.  If you have Alaska Fish available in your area, don't be afraid to try it.  You may be surprised how effective it is for nearly half the cost.
So are you getting alfalfa hay AND wheat straw?  Or some other mulch?
Alfalfa hay will really cover you...  Straw will be cheaper, but the alfalfa hay will break down into something much more useable. 
Simple, simple, simple. 
14056968195_0e5b38a089_z.jpg

14057438764_1783a4cbb2_z.jpg

I was going to buy some rubber mulch but read that it isn't a good idea. For alfalfa hay what brand did you use? I have a tractor supply store 2 miles from my house. What pepper plant is this?

Codeman said:

Oh shit...forgot to mention that neptunes harvest tends to attract possums. I would get a possum dog ASAP. (I've got one, and don't worry, she only goes for possums). You'll have a possum or two to dispose of every week. But there's really not much else you can do.

Hah, jk

I like to pee on my compost pile, I also dilute it and feed it directly to any plant that I feel needs some nitrogen.  Too much info? haha

Codeman said:

I was going to buy some rubber mulch but read that it isn't a good idea. For alfalfa hay what brand did you use? I have a tractor supply store 2 miles from my house. What pepper plant is this?

Brand of hay?
Shit, I don't know... Whatever God and the farmer work out, I guess...

solid7 said:

Brand of hay?
Shit, I don't know... Whatever God and the farmer work out, I guess...

hmm. thanks i guess. i didn't say hay. just alfalfa hay. i read regular hay has too many seeds.

Codeman said:

hmm. thanks i guess. i didn't say hay. just alfalfa hay. i read regular hay has too many seeds.

Here in the US, unless it is sold as something otherwise, hay is alfalfa.  There are different kinds of alfalfa, but that's the definition of hay in any agricultural establishment in the US.  UNLESS otherwise specified...

solid7 said:

Here in the US, unless it is sold as something otherwise, hay is alfalfa.  There are different kinds of alfalfa, but that's the definition of hay in any agricultural establishment in the US.  UNLESS otherwise specified...

Hmm i really don't want to pull hay growing in my plant pots because that is what is going to happen. do you have that problem when you put down alfalfa on your garden? so lets try this, what kind of alfalfa did you use? is it the alfalfa used for feeding bunnys? thanks.

Codeman said:

Hmm i really don't want to pull hay growing in my plant pots because that is what is going to happen. do you have that problem when you put down alfalfa on your garden? so lets try this, what kind of alfalfa did you use? is it the alfalfa used for feeding bunnys? thanks.

I use alfalfa hay, period.
I've never had any alfalfa grow that I didn't plant intentionally from seed; however, it's not a bad thing.  Alfalfa creates a very healthy symbiotic relationship with other plants.  If it goes to seed, cut it down, and leave it in the pot.  It becomes mulch and fertilizer.
You are one worried fella.  LOL

Back