American Ex-pat in Japan

I am an American living more or less permanently in Japan. I have a Japanese wife and two children. Good peppers are hard to find here. I can get Blair's Death Sauce, which I use daily.

I'm hoping to learn more about growing peppers indoors, and maybe connecting with other ex-pats in Japan.

Welcome from Fort Worth...you may be the first member from Japan...

AlabamaJack said:
Welcome from Fort Worth...you may be the first member from Japan...

Wow! Does that mean you got my cherry or I got yours? :P

Novacastrian said:
Hey brother have you room to grow peppers? Welcome to thp!

I have windowsill space inside, but the problem (maybe) is that there is no central heating and precious little insulation in houses here. Japanese houses get VERY cold in winter...

I have a little space outside. Maybe one square meter?

Welcome from Canada eh. There was another member here from Japan a while back, I remember asking him about wasabi. Do you ever see wasabi plants being grown?

Novacastrian said:
We surely got yours, trust me:hell:

Any pics of your grow space available?

No, because my digital camera, or at least the program for it, is acting screwy. I'm working on it.

Lots of sun, a square meter of dirt surrounded by concrete.

POTAWIE said:
Welcome from Canada eh. There was another member here from Japan a while back, I remember asking him about wasabi. Do you ever see wasabi plants being grown?

Wasabi grows in creeks or moving water. It's a root. I've seen it grown on a farm we visited a few years ago, but they used chicken manure to grow it. The stuff they sell in squeeze tubes is fake and full of chemicals. The real stuff is quite expensive. It's realted to horseradish. One root (about 5" long) sells for up to $100, depending on the type. You have to grind it on a small piece of sharkskin glued to a small wooden paddle.

A great way of using wasabi is to mix it in with mayo. You can adjust the hotness to your liking, and keep the yummy wasabi flavor. Great on roast beef sammiches!

Passow welcomes you from Cleveland, Ohio!

Milarepa said:
Wasabi grows in creeks or moving water. It's a root. I've seen it grown on a farm we visited a few years ago, but they used chicken manure to grow it. The stuff they sell in squeeze tubes is fake and full of chemicals. The real stuff is quite expensive. It's realted to horseradish. One root (about 5" long) sells for up to $100, depending on the type. You have to grind it on a small piece of sharkskin glued to a small wooden paddle.

A great way of using wasabi is to mix it in with mayo. You can adjust the hotness to your liking, and keep the yummy wasabi flavor. Great on roast beef sammiches!
YES!!! Another person how actually knows what real wassabi is!

Welcome from Virginia:)

Milarepa said:
Good peppers are hard to find here.

Whatcha got?

Back