• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

An interesting discovery....

Last year here, the cayennes during the regular season had one look, but the late-season pods had a somewhat different look. So the difference in your pods could be similar - just seasonal difference caused by the plant's response to changing weather.

Last year here, the cayennes during the regular season had one look, but the late-season pods had a somewhat different look. So the difference in your pods could be similar - just seasonal difference caused by the plant's response to changing weather.
Yeah, I was thinking that might be the case too. Both the weather and the season are certainly different than what they were when the plant first produced.

How big of a difference did you notice in your cayennes when the season changed?

Size was the most notable visual difference - the regular-season pods were anywhere from 8" to 10", while the late season pods got no longer than 5". The regular-season pods were also more wrinkly, while the late-season pods were smoother. The other BIG difference was the heat level - the regular-season pods were a LOT hotter than the late-season ones. The late-season pods were almost like snacking on a bell pepper with a touch of heat - big disappointment at the time, compared to the stinging OUCH of the others.

I agree, 2gods. Sadly though, after overwintering the plant, the pods are now ripening to more of an orange colour this season. :(

IMG_6588.jpg

IMG_6713.jpg

IMG_6717.jpg

IMG_6742.jpg

IMG_6679.jpg

I started a new plant this season from seed saved from one of the yellow pods. It has yet to produce be should be interesting to see how it turns out once it does.

A little bit wiser now, it definitely appears to be some sort of unstable hybrid, no?

Dont think it matters, it still has the wrinkled shape, and it's incredibly shiny, almost like a car that has just been polished.

Hope it stays that shape and, keep the shiny look.

I agree with you gas, an unstable hybrid. You've gotten what three different colors with how many different shapes? Keep having fun with it.

I agree with you gas, an unstable hybrid. You've gotten what three different colors with how many different shapes? Keep having fun with it.

Speaking of different shapes... the "yellow" plant has started yet another round of production and the shape is different again!

IMG_6839.jpg

IMG_6840.jpg

IMG_6841.jpg

Is this normal behaviour of a hybrid? I have been under the impression that changes occur after grow out of a new generation, not during the life of a single plant. Guess I was wrong....

Hope it stays that shape

Too late. ^^^ :lol:

The plant I am growing from saved seed from the yellow pods--when they were actually yellow--is coming along nicely despite a little set back not long ago (had to snip a lot of the top growth due to broad mite damage). I'm seriously hoping it produces something similar to the original yellow pods! (They were my favourites. :mope:)

IMG_6838.jpg

It seems to have the same grow hard determination as it's parent.

Holy crap that's a huge plant!

And they absolutely go off too... :D

IMG_6843.jpg

IMG_6842.jpg

very nice Gas....keepem' growin'...I love those yellow pods....very pretty

Wow gas I love the look of those plants and production is unreal. Another var. Of seeds I might just need to get my hands on. Keep the updates rolling "!

*LOL*
There is nothing that plant is unable to do, maybe the next will be red.
Keep posting pictures, it's too funny.
But again, nice shape.

Back