• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

An interesting discovery....

This last season I grew PepperLover's Wasp and to my surprise, one of my plants is producing yellow pods! (they are supposed to be red!)

IMG_4577.jpg

IMG_4898.jpg

IMG_4901.jpg

IMG_4940.jpg

Here's the colour they are supposed to be (hope Judy doesn't mind but I pinched some of her pics):

wasp1.jpg

wasp2.jpg

My last harvest from my other plant was a couple months ago but from what I can remember about the pods, everything about the two is pretty much the same except for the colour. Same pungent smell, same quick sharp sting, and pretty much the same flavour except for a little bit of a sweetness I don't remember the others having (but like I said, I can't remember exactly).

I'm certainly no expert so I discussed it with Judy and she tells me it must be a mutant due to the fact that nothing has really changed except for the colour. Looking at both of my plants side by side, it doesn't look like there is any difference between the two either.

Whatever is going on, I reckon my yellow pods are super cool! :cool: :D

so what your saying is you have 2 x plants of this variety but one plant is giving you red pods, the other yellow???
it seems that Judy's pods are a different shape to yours also, could it be that the seeds you got from Judy may have been inadvertantly crossed?
resulting in a hybrid and not a color mutation?

so what your saying is you have 2 x plants of this variety but one plant is giving you red pods, the other yellow???
it seems that Judy's pods are a different shape to yours also, could it be that the seeds you got from Judy may have been inadvertantly crossed?
resulting in a hybrid and not a color mutation?
That was one of my initial thoughts and the other was that maybe it was an unstable cross reverting back, but as I am still very new to this and don't know much at all about this stuff, I thought I would check in with Judy first and see what she thought.

As for my other plant, the colour the pods turned was probably a little closer to orange than it was to red but in terms of shape, probably looked more like Judy's. It has just started producing again so will get some snaps up soon.

I will save seeds from a few pods and grow them out next season and see what happens, I guess....

the pods does not have the same look. Gas. yours look more like lanterns habs. whereas judy's one looks more annumm.

Cool indeed! Not many seeds in that yellow pod did you take some out or is that it?
Saved the seeds. :D

Got about 7 out of that one I think (hiding under the placenta) but the plant is loaded with pods so should be no worries getting more.

The other thing is though, I haven't isolated any pods for seed saving so things might turn out even more interesting next season.....

I wish I had the talent for growing.....it'd make my life a whole lot more interesting!

Pretty neat, Gas!!!
I'm working on the whole talent thing.... all of my plants that have produced this season have done so because nature decided to throw me a bone or something! :lol:

whatever they are, i'd keep 'em. but then i'd say that about any pepper plant i got.
Yes, I'm definitely going to grow them out and see what happens. If they are a cross of some sort, hopefully I can stabilize them close enough to their current form.

Should be an interesting project for next season and a great opportunity to learn! :D

More pods! :D

IMG_4954.jpg

IMG_4973.jpg

The pods on the second plant are shaping up but look totally different than they did a few months back (they are not as crinkly this time)....

IMG_4965.jpg

The first time around they looked more like the ones in Judy's pics except they ripened to an orange instead of a red. Is that normal for a plant to change like that?? The plant was affected by mites at one stage after the first lot of production, could that affect pod shape?

Here is a comparison pic of green pods around the same age (yellow left, orange right):

IMG_4862.jpg

The other ones are definitely darker so I am assuming that they will still ripen to orange but now a different shape altogether!

Dude you are seriously kicking some ass, I will have to get some pics of mine up today but man you put me to shame.

Dude you are seriously kicking some ass, I will have to get some pics of mine up today but man you put me to shame.
Thanks, duuude!

It's only your first time growing, right? As long as you getting any pods at all, I will tell you now that your first season beat the absolute hell outta my first one! ;)

My first one, BTW, was an utter disaster! If I can recall correctly, by this time last year, not only were all my plants dead or eaten but I think all I saw in terms of pods was a handful of explosive embers, one or two black pearls and one lousy, sickly-looking orange habanero! :lol:

Yeah it is, I left them over at a mates house for two weeks while I was away and picked them up yesterday. Wow the improvement from leaving them in all day sun is dramatic.

I plucked a few Habs, Aji Lemon and Tabasco off to try tonight. My Trinidad S is flowering finally and the others are looking sexier than ever.

My Tobasco has too many pods and is leaning over hard so I may need to re-pot it.

Now this is even odder....

IMG_5061.jpg

(Left is the orange strain and all three on the right are the yellow strain)

The pods on the orange plant are starting to ripen and they definitely look different than they did the first time the plant produced (same orange but not as smooth and longer - but still different to the yellow strain).

Either way, definitely a cross, right?

I just wanted to add too that all the other seeds I have ordered from Judy in the past have always grown true. And in fact, most of my best and healthiest plants have grown from her seeds!

I'm actually happy that this has happened as it gives me a project for my coming season and something to study very closely. :D

I still have some of the original seeds plus I have saved seeds from both my plants this season so I will grow them all and see what happens!

Back