• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

An overdue appointment

Thanks to all for the comments and offers of support. It is refreshing and encouraging. It's not often one makes a life altering decision. Lostmind's dad - I want to be that guy...

Good luck Canuck. I know this is no easy task, I've been trying to follow doctor's orders but its real tough.

On a funnier note, I am a proud, unofficial member of D.A.M.M. (Drunks against mad mothers):)

POTAWIE said:
Good luck Canuck. I know this is no easy task, I've been trying to follow doctor's orders but its real tough.

On a funnier note, I am a proud, unofficial member of D.A.M.M. (Drunks against mad mothers):)

I only see mad mothers at the rink...lol...

imaguitargod said:
Honestly, I don't know how you do it, buddy. I really do admire you for your discission.

I am with you IGGY. I am a problem drinker, well no problems really just drink get drunk fall over no problem!

I however hope that all the alcohol i drink goes to preserving my internal organs to the point of no decay!

One day at a time, my friend.
I won't wish you good luck. Luck implies chance, and this is gonna be an active, hard work thing for you, so instead I will wish you the strength to see you through your efforts.

You can do this.

I've posted this before, but I think that this is a good thread to repeat it. I have found (out of necessity) that Milk Thistle is a really good liver repairer. It has done wonders for me ever since I discovered a local brand of it here. Over the years that brand became more and more expensive so I went looking for less expensive alternatives and found Wonder Labs in Tennessee. They sell 250 pills for only $12.49. Here is the link:

http://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=8122

...and NO I am not affiliated with this company at all.

Congrats, HC. I stopped drinking and smoking cigs on june 16 and have been on the wagon ever since. It turns out my suspicion was correct. Once i start drinking i can't stop. So i basically just gave up the starting part. I didn't got to AA but i did ramp up my mountain biking dramatically. As in i used to go every now and then but now i go every other day or so. It really does help a lot to have something to keep your mind occupied. Everytime i get an urge, i just jump on the bike and ride as hard as i can for a few miles. Keep up the good work.

Sickmont said:
Congrats, HC. I stopped drinking and smoking cigs on june 16 and have been on the wagon ever since. It turns out my suspicion was correct. Once i start drinking i can't stop. So i basically just gave up the starting part.

for years all I kept trying to do was 'drink better'... well, I finally realized that I can't. I am still getting dizzy spells so i am clearly feeling withdrawing, which is good, because it confirms there was a problem I was hiding from.

I spent a great weekend with my dad and my 18 year old son ( yeah, it's already cost me my marriage...), and between that, the first meeting and the support I am getting here ( it's been a while since so many of you have responded to a post of mine...and yes, I had noticed...again, sorry all :oops: ), that I am feeling very strong and good about my decision... I just want to string a ton of days together so that I can start marking off milestones. As soon as the headaches stop I will start looking at physical exertion as an alternative. For me it would be hockey, walking and weights...

Thanks.

HC

P.S. What's with the ****ing Avatar??? I thought I was hallucinating too...lol...

Novacastrian said:
Big decision Canuk. Heres to feeling the same all day as when you wake up!

yeah - I am looking forward to no more hangovers...and no more regrets from the nite before...

imaguitargod said:
Honestly, I don't know how you do it, buddy. I really do admire you for your discission.

Thanks dude.

Novacastrian said:
I am with you IGGY. I am a problem drinker, well no problems really just drink get drunk fall over no problem!I however hope that all the alcohol i drink goes to preserving my internal organs to the point of no decay!

I am hoping I haven't done anything irreversible...time will tell..

Skydiver said:
One day at a time, my friend.
I won't wish you good luck. Luck implies chance, and this is gonna be an active, hard work thing for you, so instead I will wish you the strength to see you through your efforts.
You can do this.

Thanks. That is what I realized at the meeting. Quitting isn't a hobby. It's a 24 hour a day job...

Philipperv said:
I've posted this before, but I think that this is a good thread to repeat it. I have found (out of necessity) that Milk Thistle is a really good liver repairer. It has done wonders for me ever since I discovered a local brand of it here. Over the years that brand became more and more expensive so I went looking for less expensive alternatives and found Wonder Labs in Tennessee. They sell 250 pills for only $12.49. Here is the link:
http://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=8122
...and NO I am not affiliated with this company at all.

Thanks. I will definitely have a look. Again, I am hoping there is no major damage.

lostmind said:
Everytime you want a beer, take some defcon zero.

Basta!

Saving that for special occasions...lol... Made a stirfry Friday with 70 % Defcon 1, 30 % Defcon 2... Great combo... Not beer related, but you brought Defcon up... THAT is my healthy addiction...:cool:

Novacastrian said:
Hey Canuk, on any given day how much were you drinking? Of course don't answer if you don't want.

A normal day - 5 or 6 beers... ... My problem was that 2 could become 15, and I basically had no control over it. I would always admire the guys who would come out for two and head home. A sad thing to loook up to, when you think about it...

Day 4 and counting...:woohoo:

I could see how the ramping of beers change -- it could be a matter of someone coming over and the 6 you had by yourself turns into another 6-9 with them -- I've had trouble, many years back, with hard alcohol. Basically anything with a name wasnt my friend but an enabler, the nights me, Jack, Jim, Jose, Johnny and Rumpleminze had having "fun" was only me becoming an instant asshole simply by adding alcohol.

Good luck to ya and stay strong and eventually you'll enjoy not having to say your sorry all time -

Back