• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Annie's 2014 Glog: FINAL Grow List before new 2014 glog

Began 2013 yesterday morning. 12 hour soak seed soak in potassium nitrate and H202 (diluted) in ice trays. Kept warm on heat mats. Mix is Promix BX with a lot of perlite added. Pre-moistened, then put in 72 cell 6 pack flats and bottom watered on heat mat to fully wet mix with Actinovate, kelp, Biotamax--a sliver--then drained, aerated with fork, then back to mats to await seeds. Lost a few seeds as I'm handier with turkey baster (obviously from seeds left in bulb when clean-up) when it's used for Q or turkey, but have plenty of viable seeds. Trying to prevent damping off. Seeds from Chris, Jamie (Romy6), Ed, Judy (pepperlover.com), peppergal, peppermania, Baker Creek, Trade Winds, Tomato Grower's Supply, My Patriot Supply . . . and my own saved. Now to prevent damping off. Have ordered Pyrethrin to go with Actinovate, lots of fans, soil temps were 85 this morning when wood stove was dying, restoked, back up to 90F, soil temps (sorry, no pic), as while carrying in wood in our ice and snow/ice storm yesterday morning, I fell. Sorta fell. Falling would have hurt less: why do we try to stop the inevitable? This is my first grow of superhots, so please, any suggestions?! Lemme know, please. Right now the domes are on again, but will be slanting them off in a couple days, if not sooner, and always, flats get 20 minutes fresh air in morning. (Freezing but fresh air <grin>.)

Anns2013Glogsuperhotsinaflat.jpg

Anns2013Glogsuperhot2.jpg

Anns2013Glogfanonflats.jpg

Lights and mylar box--other side of shelving unit is large white sheet (and I know the mylar is crinkled). Also there's some diluted Clorox gunk am gonna get off, but for now, I like the idea of diluted Clorox gunk.
Anns2013Gloggrowlights.jpg

Anns2013Gloglightsmylarupclose.jpg

Other side lights: fans

Anns2013Gloglightswithfans.jpg

Thanks to so many helpful members here. I hope these seeds hook, live long, prosper, aka do not damp-off. Updates, I hope :rolleyes:. Peace, Annie

WalkGood said:
Apreta me aqui para empesar y apreta aqui para la receta y su nombre ... espero que disfrutes la salsa ^_^

Aprete los dos. Thank you! (Pues, al encontrar chocho o chayote . . . una tienda, es posible que hay . . . )

Now, since Ramon posted that delicious sounding sauce recipe, recalled these--show and tell--just wondered how common are scotch bonnets with tails? (I'd think maybe relatively common, unless MoA.) Much hotter, sweeter, full as they age on vine. Tail's cute:

AnnsGlog9-4ScotchBonnetwithstinger_zps214224dc.jpg

annie57 said:
… just wondered how common are scotch bonnets with tails? (I'd think maybe relatively common, unless MoA.) …

Great looking pods you picture Annie ^_^

I’m not sure how common tails are on Scotch Bonnets in general but my MoA Scotch Bonnets did produce some pods with little tails. Not much bigger than the picture below but I still find dat look smexy ~_^

Great job on your entire grow, girl you have some beautiful peppers :)

JA MoA with small tail:
b49j4i.jpg

WalkGood said:

Great looking pods you picture Annie ^_^

I’m not sure how common tails are on Scotch Bonnets in general but my MoA Scotch Bonnets did produce some pods with little tails. Not much bigger than the picture below but I still find dat look smexy ~_^

Great job on your entire grow, girl you have some beautiful peppers :)

JA MoA with small tail:
b49j4i.jpg

That's a thing of beauty, Ramon! Kid just burst into tears in my office because she didn't understand research librarian and "Bodeen" searches. I gave her a kleenex and said I'd explain Boolean at 10:20. Few mins from now.

PIC 1 said:
Amazing Harvest(s)...........doing some overhaulin in the garden are ya ?
Your stories are hilarious and energetic...got me on a roll.

Over is better than under . . . unless barbed wire? Hiya maestro chef and pod master, Greg! Want to check your glog but gotta scoot down hall to class atm. Later, hon! Glad you get some laughs outta . . . Jane Foxworthy needs to git to her class, to uh, maybe uh, teach it? LOL!

Hi Annie!

Bonnet's look great! You...kicked some ass this season!

The pods you sent me were great! I tried as many as I could before it was time to dry them, didn't want to lose any of those precious gems! I ate so many by Sunday my stomach was wimping out..LOL

Saved the seeds for next years grow, can't wait to get them in the dirt..

Kid just burst into tears in my office because she didn't understand research librarian and "Bodeen" searches. I gave her a kleenex and said I'd explain Boolean at 10:20. Few mins from now.
All you had to do was point her to Jeff's (Bodeen's) glog.... :D Life is hard...

Devv said:
Hi Annie!

Bonnet's look great! You...kicked some ass this season!

The pods you sent me were great! I tried as many as I could before it was time to dry them, didn't want to lose any of those precious gems! I ate so many by Sunday my stomach was wimping out..LOL

Saved the seeds for next years grow, can't wait to get them in the dirt..

All you had to do was point her to Jeff's (Bodeen's) glog.... :D Life is hard...

Hiya Scott! Aside from evaling 60 essays over fin de semana, I'm done for week (tolt ya I made .50 per hour, lol) and yes! I thought of Bodeen's glog when the . . . know that song by Austin Lounge Lizards, "Life Is Hard (But Life Is Harder When You're Dumb)"? Effin . . . how did a great research librarian say "Boolean" and they got "Bodeen"? Too much text and not enough conversation? Dayum.

Glad you enjoyed peppers! I ate a Jame/Romy6 box in about a week and hit store twice for Pepto. By the way, if you decide to grow the Aji Limon, Yellow Bouquet, or Trini Perfume, I've decided to go containers with those next year. Inca RDrop works in ground but the others sprawl. Would like to have shallow and wide for them. Maybe find some halved wine barrels with drainage holes at garage/yard sale? I like what you did with liner; could be custom-depth and width. I don't know if bamboo/arrows would keep them from getting really comfortable and hogging bed. Problem with that habit of growth is a lot of fruit on ground. Just my observations. Stripping some leaves early on would be maybe good idea with Trini Perfume. Make it a tree? If I could find HUGE hanging baskets, be great! Or maybe good case for topsy turvy tomato type thing?

Kicking ass? They kicking my ass. Wandering (and wondering) around garden this evening, these temps without rain are causing some major turn. Lots of . . . whew: yeah.

Also, can you tell a lot of different between yellow brain and TSMBlend yellow? Just wondering if you noticed a discernible difference in taste and heat. (I can't; just curious if you did.) Thanks, hon!

Cool idea Annie, I'd probably go with super large hanging baskets over topsy turvy. Long story but I tried the upside down grow and heck I got more tomatoes growing them sideways on the ground, lol. Regardless if I find the right basket I think I might give that a try too, tanks for da idea muchacha!

WalkGood said:
Cool idea Annie, I'd probably go with super large hanging baskets over topsy turvy. Long story but I tried the upside down grow and heck I got more tomatoes growing them sideways on the ground, lol. Regardless if I find the right basket I think I might give that a try too, tanks for da idea muchacha!

Oh, don't thank me. Tanks be to da Aji Limon! I was messing with it--trying, futilely--to kind of contain it (no way), when it turned and nodded up toward deck, where have some nasturtium in hanging baskets. Okay, okay: exaggeration. But when < foot tall and nearly 3 wide . . . also, those are so short that in-ground easy for them to get shaded; hanging in sun, no crawling to pick?  Coconut fiber ones at Lowe's would likely be deep enough and the coconut fiber air-prunes roots. At least I did that with the gigantic nasturtiums. Upgraded the hardware--chain and S hooks--(yes, I'm the person in the big box store you see trying to break something and if it does, I still buy it and "adjust" if the idea's decent :rolleyes: )--now, if knew a welder-artist . . . custom fit for short, sprawling peppers. Hmm.

Hi Annie,
   That sprawling habit seems to be an Aji trait. My Omnicolors are doing the same thing. I put plastic mulch under them so the pods stay clean if they drop or trail down onto it. Considering your observations on the student body at your school, you might get a chuckle out of BootsieB's user pic. Cheers!

stickman said:
Hi Annie,
   That sprawling habit seems to be an Aji trait. My Omnicolors are doing the same thing. I put plastic mulch under them so the pods stay clean if they drop or trail down onto it. Considering your observations on the student body at your school, you might get a chuckle out of BootsieB's user pic. Cheers!

Whatever works, Rick! :party: I have straw under mine but have 5 plants wide-loading it over into other plants so, thinking big baskets. Meybe.

LOL! Yesssssss. Thank you, Rick. "I see dead dumb people." A Bruce Willis film where he had to semi-act.

Student body as whole is skilled. Have 3 classes of freshmen this year. Freshmen are never skilled. Never. Texting has delayed many/most of their developmental abilities to have a meaningful conversation. Two pieces to that skill: actively listening and thoughtfully responding . But delayed is not deceased. Doing a long week for me next week with them: 60+ students? But, going to coffee shops, jewelry art shops, pottery making-selling places, juice bars, basketball rim runs, whatever but one on one, for 50 minutes with cells off, while maybe turning on other "cells," they have a conversation with me. I gotta convince kids in a university that they are worthy of the privilege of participating in higher ed. :rolleyes: However, when they begin to respect untapped abilities, their lives change. Slowly but leaves an impression. After 70 damn hours of this, mine does as well :shocked: .

"Texting has delayed many/most of their developmental abilities to have a meaningful conversation. Two pieces to that skill: actively listening and thoughtfully responding"

love it... I am still cracking up over your "Spanish major" student.

I couldn't tell the difference, and as you know....if you eat a whole bunch of supers in a short while the taste buds go on vacation. I never could taste the difference between the Aji Limon and the Yellow Bouquet! I made a hot sauce with the 3 giant Yellow 7's and it came out great! Amazing flavor and the heat was a creeper, brought some to work and everyone loved it....but said it was hot! But they kept loading up the chips..

<Rant>
I hear ya about the students, they have their face glued to the phones when they change classes. Remember when you went to school and respected when an adult walked down the hall? Now I just stop and let them run into me. They have no manners (well most don't) I open a door with my arms full of gear and they try to get through the door that I JUST OPENED FOR ME ignoring my presence, again I just stop and let them bounce into me..

And am I crazy thinking that hallways and doors should be treated like the roads we drive on? You know the out door is on the right, in on the left if you are inside the building? I lock the right door so the have to use the correct door to enter the building....one gets satisfaction out of the little things...LOL

Glad you're taking them out into the real world, it's shame their parents haven't. And this is my thought...why do they need cell phones? Somehow I made it to my 50's without one, I do have a cheapo work makes me wear. They think I keep it with me...LOL when I get home it's sits in my truck or some employee that needs a life calls me at bedtime because they can't open an attachment...OK I'm rambling..again.</RANT>
Have a great weekend!

See!!! I knew your big numbers were right around the corner! Very nice lady! Next thing you know I'll be asking you for pods!!! I think I may be about out??? :liar:

annie57 said:
... Texting has delayed many/most of their developmental abilities to have a meaningful conversation. Two pieces to that skill: actively listening and thoughtfully responding ... ...
I agree with your statement +googolplex  

Apologies for hot linking the correct definition of “googolplex” (per Milton & later Kasner) as I know you know. I had to because those same freshmen, others and the company “Google” have different definitions referring back to the Google company headquarters, hahaha ... Milton would be rolling in his grave ;)

Durham Bull said:
"Texting has delayed many/most of their developmental abilities to have a meaningful conversation. Two pieces to that skill: actively listening and thoughtfully responding"

love it... I am still cracking up over your "Spanish major" student.
I read at 40 "descriptive" essays yesterday, Sy. Only 20 more, lousy--and I said I didn't care about grammar but no text language, but--"oops:" they can't help "thsves." I knew whether to run, shit, go blind or commit murder, which is why I don't eval this stuff at my office. Nearly blind from text language, might as well have murdered a few, had they been within my reach. Ever read floral, adjective-laden descriptions of a sunset in text language? Not missed a DAYUM thang.

Hell, I told them that they could describe sex--anything but rape--theirs, homicide or suicide attempts---theirs . . . but out of 60--30+ of them males, not one described a sex act (that was consensual).

I did have a couple of good completely descriptive essays, all came from male students. One was EXCELLENT. He went to public schools in NC. Baseball scholly guy. And he wrote it. Have talked with him some in class; my "flying ace" in one class, for sure.

15 others were plagiarized, 1 student we'll probably have to suspend until further police/SBI investigation because he claimed his descriptions were his "fromRL" (real life?) I told them not to, and it's a relatively infamous local rape case. Dayum. Idiots. See what happens with other 20 today. :mope: Dear Christ.

Devv said:
I couldn't tell the difference, and as you know....if you eat a whole bunch of supers in a short while the taste buds go on vacation. I never could taste the difference between the Aji Limon and the Yellow Bouquet! I made a hot sauce with the 3 giant Yellow 7's and it came out great! Amazing flavor and the heat was a creeper, brought some to work and everyone loved it....but said it was hot! But they kept loading up the chips..

<Rant>
I hear ya about the students, they have their face glued to the phones when they change classes. Remember when you went to school and respected when an adult walked down the hall? Now I just stop and let them run into me. They have no manners (well most don't) I open a door with my arms full of gear and they try to get through the door that I JUST OPENED FOR ME ignoring my presence, again I just stop and let them bounce into me..

And am I crazy thinking that hallways and doors should be treated like the roads we drive on? You know the out door is on the right, in on the left if you are inside the building? I lock the right door so the have to use the correct door to enter the building....one gets satisfaction out of the little things...LOL

Glad you're taking them out into the real world, it's shame their parents haven't. And this is my thought...why do they need cell phones? Somehow I made it to my 50's without one, I do have a cheapo work makes me wear. They think I keep it with me...LOL when I get home it's sits in my truck or some employee that needs a life calls me at bedtime because they can't open an attachment...OK I'm rambling..again.</RANT>
Have a great weekend!

Man, your taste buds were abducted by supers, Scott! Of course after first box I got of season, Jamie/Romy6 of 7 super varieties, I couldn't tell difference between broccoli and ice cream. Glad you're enjoying yellow 7's and brains. Not growing the TSMB yellow next year. Might go ButchT or Bubblegum instead along with Reaper seeds you sent. I guess it would be stupid to ask about Douglah, huh? :rofl:

There's a remedy for rude. Don't know your setting, but I got some local high school teachers, teaching seniors, to get parental permission to show the film, Deliverance based off James Dickey novel (JD plays sheriff in film as you know). After "squeal like a pig" they discuss "rudeness" with aghast, grossed out, students. I do it every semester with freshmen. I would never show this if teaching at a northern, midwestern, western state, because the south has enough of bad rep but they got theirs (or is it there's or they're or lol, never eaten a "sandwhich.") And really one page, ONE skimpy page of it's v. its? Just minor stuff but they can't do it initially. They were taught: they paid no attention.

But I suggest Deliverance for treatment of rudeness, uncouth, ill-mannered, in southern settings. And the sad thing is "rude boy" has been ruined by the behaviors of the children of parents who sent Buffalo Soldiers to kill First Nations people's here, or pick ya country. But I also show The Harder They Come (Lord, lord, lord, I love, love Jimmy Cliff!) and The Battle of Algiers; ask how these are different from or like, or not related to, Deliverance. Of course I'm leading them: difference in resistance and rude, inhumane, inconsiderate, irresponsible behavior without cause. AND I find the best students I have and a few of the worst to teach those classes. If we keep rape-boy--if not suspended/charged--he will be co-teaching this series.

stc3248 said:
See!!! I knew your big numbers were right around the corner! Very nice lady! Next thing you know I'll be asking you for pods!!! I think I may be about out??? :liar:

Shane, you ain't in no time soon asking nobody for a pod! But I'd send ya some!! Thanks for the faith, man! Hope to make some sauce tomorrow, Ramon's Tres Alarmas, if I can get work done and get to g-store and to tienda today.

WalkGood said:
I agree with your statement +googolplex  

Apologies for hot linking the correct definition of “googolplex” (per Milton & later Kasner) as I know you know. I had to because those same freshmen, others and the company “Google” have different definitions referring back to the Google company headquarters, hahaha ... Milton would be rolling in his grave ;)

Think I wouldn't know dat reference huh? My mother taught pre-school for a gazillion years. But I like Milton's idea of the googolplex and instead of my students "Googling" maybe they could go into a meditative trance writing 0's until the definition or answer came to them in a Zen state :cool: . We would be much trouble working together, mi hermano. :lol:

annie57 said:
Think I wouldn't know dat reference huh? My mother taught pre-school for a gazillion years. But I like Milton's idea of the googolplex and instead of my students "Googling" maybe they could go into a meditative trance writing 0's until the definition or answer came to them in a Zen state :cool: . We would be much trouble working together, mi hermano. :lol:
If you don't teach them now, don't know who will ... fast forward 20 years forward ... the population reads their texting devices as the president of the United States texts messages to da masses instead of public speaking, hahahahaha

Enough of this silly student talk.

Got to tienda . . . man, what a trip, place, how cool! Wanna move in. Totally stuffed on tostones. Woman's name is Lara and they're actually from, as there before tourists invaded, a small town near Tulum, which is Yucatan and totally different than rest of Mexico, so big bowl of tostones, brown paper bag under them; we munched, we talked, I got chayotes, gave her about 20 ripe JA Habs, she gifted me the chayotes, wouldn't take money since I gave her the peppers; we continued to talk until she closed, with her son, Miguel and his wife. Hole in wall and nice produce.

In preparation for Ramon/Walkgood's Tres Alarmas Sauce (which I hope to make tomorrow but it may be Monday at rate essays and life going):

AnnsGlog9-7chayotes_zps1fbb6cf0.jpg

Ain't dey cute?

WalkGood said:
Yes they are :D

161mg5g.jpg

Kermit! :clap:  You Kermitted my chochos! Now . . . how will I eat them? :think: Wait . . . I can pretend that Kermits are dead, and I already ate their legs, so might as well not waste rest of Kermits :dance: Thank you, querido! Wonderful ending to this day!! :party: Excellent art work!

Haha...last thing I need is another pod right now!!! Haha...and the really great thing is. YOU EITHER!!! :dance:

Enjoy them spicy cajun style kermits!

Back