• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Annie's 2014 Glog: FINAL Grow List before new 2014 glog

Began 2013 yesterday morning. 12 hour soak seed soak in potassium nitrate and H202 (diluted) in ice trays. Kept warm on heat mats. Mix is Promix BX with a lot of perlite added. Pre-moistened, then put in 72 cell 6 pack flats and bottom watered on heat mat to fully wet mix with Actinovate, kelp, Biotamax--a sliver--then drained, aerated with fork, then back to mats to await seeds. Lost a few seeds as I'm handier with turkey baster (obviously from seeds left in bulb when clean-up) when it's used for Q or turkey, but have plenty of viable seeds. Trying to prevent damping off. Seeds from Chris, Jamie (Romy6), Ed, Judy (pepperlover.com), peppergal, peppermania, Baker Creek, Trade Winds, Tomato Grower's Supply, My Patriot Supply . . . and my own saved. Now to prevent damping off. Have ordered Pyrethrin to go with Actinovate, lots of fans, soil temps were 85 this morning when wood stove was dying, restoked, back up to 90F, soil temps (sorry, no pic), as while carrying in wood in our ice and snow/ice storm yesterday morning, I fell. Sorta fell. Falling would have hurt less: why do we try to stop the inevitable? This is my first grow of superhots, so please, any suggestions?! Lemme know, please. Right now the domes are on again, but will be slanting them off in a couple days, if not sooner, and always, flats get 20 minutes fresh air in morning. (Freezing but fresh air <grin>.)

Anns2013Glogsuperhotsinaflat.jpg

Anns2013Glogsuperhot2.jpg

Anns2013Glogfanonflats.jpg

Lights and mylar box--other side of shelving unit is large white sheet (and I know the mylar is crinkled). Also there's some diluted Clorox gunk am gonna get off, but for now, I like the idea of diluted Clorox gunk.
Anns2013Gloggrowlights.jpg

Anns2013Gloglightsmylarupclose.jpg

Other side lights: fans

Anns2013Gloglightswithfans.jpg

Thanks to so many helpful members here. I hope these seeds hook, live long, prosper, aka do not damp-off. Updates, I hope :rolleyes:. Peace, Annie

That's so true, its the initial cost of filling them, that's the killer isn't it. Since I posted that last snow pic, we've gotten more and its currently -35 here at the moment :rolleyes:

Great list Annie. How you manage to grow all those peppers and do all the other projects you are always writing about, I'll never know. I wouldn't have that much energy in 3 lifetimes.

Penny said:
That's so true, its the initial cost of filling them, that's the killer isn't it. Since I posted that last snow pic, we've gotten more and its currently -35 here at the moment :rolleyes:

Yes; initial cost of filling them. I could get every piece of wood I'd need loaded into one truck and that's easy. Boxing in is easy. Cardboard boxes, thick on bottom is easy. Once I go pick up torch at Harbor Freight stray weeds are easy. Tilling up the space and removing sod is not bad. If I had horses, would have manure, be no-brainer. Peat's cheap and I have vermiculite and perlite for days. I'd do it. I used some supposedly screened topsoil in those three beds. And the native soil under those trees is good stuff. But I don't have horses. One way to do it, would be to till it first year and plant. I use LOTS of straw and cardboard to keep weeds down. I do use compost (guy brings me composted horse manure) in planting holes. Do that a couple of years and after a year, garden is rich and just drop in already built boxes after a smooth till and edge around perimeter. Add some composted manure and 1. garden area is leveled out 2. enriched and 3. it's easier, cost less. Mel's mix exactly is fine but overrated . . . raised beds were around long before "Mel" was!

Whadya think of that idea, Penny?

Oh, I feel warmer now!

Jeff H said:
Great list Annie. How you manage to grow all those peppers and do all the other projects you are always writing about, I'll never know. I wouldn't have that much energy in 3 lifetimes.

Mama grew lots of spinach when I was a kid. Truthfully, I grew up materially poor. So, I never got out of "work ya a** off and have some fun doing it, mode. Or am bat sh**t crazy!

annie57 said:
..... Of course, my mother chuckles when I limp, too . . . ...
Our mother's must have been related.

Some argument for raised beds:

You don't bend over as much or as far.
The soil drains better in wet years especially
The soil warms quicker in the spring.
You can crowd the pepper plants to the point they are practically self supporting weed free. (I got 42 in a 4x30 and most of them did great)

Aginst:

Back breaking labor to build
Can be expensive to fill
Has to be tilled by hand.
Can be prone to dry out in hot weather, needs irrigation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Penny has about the most beautiful raised beds I've seen.
But I might die of sticker-shock if I priced or could find hemlock close by.
Hemlock may be going the way of the American Chestnut with that Fuzzy Adelg (sp or whatever)
So maybe the markets flooded from a glut of dead trees -dontknow

If it t'were reasonable to get that walnut milled, I'd use it. The heartwood last a long time against the ground, not the white sap wood though.

I think I counted 96 varieties in that list. :shocked: And that's not counting the multiple sources for several of those.  I think that's the most I've seen here.

Just letting your tap water sit uncovered in a pail overnight should take care of any chlorine problems.  That's what I did for aquarium water before I moved here (on a well, now) and I never had any problems.

I have mixed feelings about raised beds, too.  In the main garden, I like to keep things "open", so to speak, so the "energy" can flow unimpeded.  Good drainage is assured by hilling up the rows.  From year to year, I can change the layout as the whim takes me.  I am thinking of putting some raised beds in the front yard (who needs lawn?) or the higher, rockier ground to the SW.

You're welcome for the coupons.  I hope your local store will accept them.

Raised beds are the best!  You can make raised beds without 'walls'.
In the biointensive gardening method, the sloping sides of the beds
are planted with companions and cover plants.  They say the idea is
that the air flow is better, and the roots from the raised portion can
wander a bit.

But, you probably already knew that.  It is fun making plans, though!

JJJessee said:
Our mother's must have been related.

Some argument for raised beds:

You don't bend over as much or as far.
The soil drains better in wet years especially
The soil warms quicker in the spring.
You can crowd the pepper plants to the point they are practically self supporting weed free. (I got 42 in a 4x30 and most of them did great)

Aginst:

Back breaking labor to build
Can be expensive to fill
Has to be tilled by hand.
Can be prone to dry out in hot weather, needs irrigation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Penny has about the most beautiful raised beds I've seen.
But I might die of sticker-shock if I priced or could find hemlock close by.
Hemlock may be going the way of the American Chestnut with that Fuzzy Adelg (sp or whatever)
So maybe the markets flooded from a glut of dead trees -dontknow

If it t'were reasonable to get that walnut milled, I'd use it. The heartwood last a long time against the ground, not the white sap wood though.

Yes; related mothers. Sick women! :rolleyes: ha!

Walnut? Juglone. Every part of tree is an herbicide. Heartwood too.

I don't mind buying the lumber and building them, but the fill is problem $$$. I mean, the 3 I have, I did "right" w/peat, some topsoil, vermiculite, perlite, and composted horse manure. They're only 4 x 10 each, but you're right: can put a ton of plants in them. Now, thinking of this new garden space, leaving room to mow (with riding mower): I can get 20 4 x 10 raised beds in there, easy. Hmm. OR cousin can come rip it and I can tote off some grass and then he can come back and till it just hopping over after he does the other garden space. Tote grass or build 20 raised beds. I know what would be best in long run.

But 20 raised beds?

The well guy showed this morning, $10,700, I told him to schedule us. I don't want to spend it...who does? But if you saw the 35 year old metal casing that's so rotted I can pick pieces off with my fingers, you'd be in the same place. It's a 30 day wait minimum, could be 45. I'm still working on the patch fabrication, I'll have to post a pic of that abortion, but it will work for providing a seal area and take the stress off the casing at the top. I figure the old well, as long as it lasts, will be for the garden.

Annie 150' x 50'???? That's close to 3 times what I grow. A ton of work! Can't wait for the pictures!

Stay warm Hon! They talkin' 23 here Monday morning...haven't seen that in 25 years...I know, global warming.. :D

Very nice list.  I think you will love the purple jalapeno and the serrano tamp.  I grew the Hawaiian sweet hot last year and wasn't too impressed with it.  The starfish will have a taste like the rain forest and the bishops hat...to me any ways.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the yellow Changuanas and red  mushrooms.  

Good luck on your grow!!!

Devv said:
The well guy showed this morning, $10,700, I told him to schedule us. I don't want to spend it...who does? But if you saw the 35 year old metal casing that's so rotted I can pick pieces off with my fingers, you'd be in the same place. It's a 30 day wait minimum, could be 45. I'm still working on the patch fabrication, I'll have to post a pic of that abortion, but it will work for providing a seal area and take the stress off the casing at the top. I figure the old well, as long as it lasts, will be for the garden.

Annie 150' x 50'???? That's close to 3 times what I grow. A ton of work! Can't wait for the pictures!

Stay warm Hon! They talkin' 23 here Monday morning...haven't seen that in 25 years...I know, global warming.. :D

Am so sorry, Scotty but that new one oughta take ya on through to the other side. Am still sorry. And sorry that you got to do a patch job for a month+. But if anybody can pull that off, you can. I guess, compared to Penny, we are "globally warmed" since she was at -35 this morning? Woah. :shocked:

maximumcapsicum said:
Gonna be a serious pepper jungle. Annie doesn't mess around.

Uh yeah, Adam. I hope . . . I think.

GA Growhead said:
Annie don't play nothing but a guitar!

Good one, Jason. Am short one those: gave the one I bought in Valencia, Spain in 1977, cross between flamenco and classical to my musician nephew's baby girl for Christmas. So far, my nephew is loving that rosewood. Dang, I said, "wood" again.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Very nice list.  I think you will love the purple jalapeno and the serrano tamp.  I grew the Hawaiian sweet hot last year and wasn't too impressed with it.  The starfish will have a taste like the rain forest and the bishops hat...to me any ways.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the yellow Changuanas and red  mushrooms.  

Good luck on your grow!!!

Thanks, Jeff!! With ice storm supposedly headed our way . . . I just want it to pass because as surely as we have one, got no power but I'm set for that. Just not too keen on starting seeds until some tree falls over a power line and it takes the town forever to understand how to fix that (with Duke Power wondering as well).

I've had the starfish and grew s. tampequino last year. Just forgot I'd saved seeds from them. Look forward to rest (I think). :lol:

Thanks y'all for votes of confidence!

Man, somebody shoulda made a movie today. Parental guidance for language. Headed to fence to take down another rosebush. Small pecan tree growing up through it, along with grapevine and honeysuckle. Worse than rat's nest in cheap bait-caster. I won't go into the assortment of tools. Only thing didn't have down there was a spoon. Sighed after I gave a pint blood or so. Had to take break after few hours. Looked at trees that have to be felled and took out phone. Looked for "excavator tree" and found this. The irrigating tool is entirely unnecessary and they put the bucket back on the CAT to push. Now, state of N.C. took money from me to kick back to some contractor who has left an excavator to pretty much rust, not too far from here. I figure, hot-wire what I've paid for, borrow it; friend of mine, doing well from her last and final, they think, Afghanistan surgery, can operate one. But she doesn't have one to operate. Y'all have a good night! :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqErRN6jFEI

Sanarda said:
I think you are going to really enjoy/love everything on that list.  This season is going to be great! :dance:

Pia! Hey girl! How's it goin,' boo! Need to come see if you've started seeds yet, cause I've not. Expecting ice and snow next couple days. I know what that means 'round here: some tree's gonna fall. Right into a powerline. It'll take them days to figure out, "A tree fell into a powerline. What do we do? Oh, yeah. We remove the tree. Duke Power comes to fix the line." Seriously. They'll scratch their a's and wonder what to do about it for 3 days. It'll take one day to fix. Bewildering. "Did y'all marry ya first cousin?" "No, by God! I married her sister." Oh yeaaaaaaaaah. Yes, it will be a magnificent season for ALL!! :party: :onfire:

Okay might be last pics of this glog. Yesterday buddies rolled up in a dump truck full of seasoned hardwood. My wood "pile" is stacked, of course, and I do mean stacked now. It's 32 wood skids, wood pallets, whatever. This is what they delivered yesterday and forgot I didn't have much tarp left, not purdy but will be nicer next year:

wooddelivered1-4-14_zps0822395e.jpg

Here is fence that will be gone by next Saturday, with stump burning wood on other side of it. Only one more rosebush to go. And the HUGE Maple ET is going to fell later this month, bring wood-splitter, and he doesn't want the wood. We constructed place to stack wood for seasoning yesterday. I'm afraid to attempt that Maple. But he says if he can't put it where corner of fence is, he'll build me new raised beds. Knowing how much he hated doing that for his wife, he'll put it where he says he will. ;) Man of his word. If you see a tree on this property, it's going to be firewood next year. After the Maple, the rest are easy. 50' x 35' chain link with another 50' feet on right side this pic and another 40' beyond fence to south. Which will give me two garden spaces: (1)150' x 35' (existing) and (2)150' x 45' to be and that is some rich earth from trees: humus.

Fenceentire1_zps4110aa94.jpg

Offensive Black Walnut. But the horse manure and straw at end of last season has composted down in existing garden!! :dance: However, I'm felling it. Nothing is in way of fall. Am gonna LOVE the sound of this mofo going down. LOVE the sound of limbing out and blocking to the splitter, EVERY second of it! :party: There will be video!

BlackWalnut2nd12-28-13_zpsc8a608fd.jpg

4 Poplar, 2 Hickory, 1 ridiculous Holly, and pecan--some of trees are in fence shot. Brush at top of shot is already gone for stump burning. (As is the rosebush that ate me alive.) I'm felling these.

Poplar212-28-13_zpsa888dadc.jpg

Got rid of ash, banked coals, and in no time this morning, ole Mama Bear is kickin'! (Early Fisher that my grandfather left me.)

woodstove1-5-2014_zpse06ee669.jpg

Supposed to snow tonight. I am blessed. ET and his wife, my friends of 35 years, got home and his wife called me, livid. "ET's putting that Scotch Bonnet sauce you gave us on ice cream! Is that normal?" I said, "Very." Stay warm, safe, have fun, y'all!

Back