• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Annie's 2014 Glog: FINAL Grow List before new 2014 glog

Began 2013 yesterday morning. 12 hour soak seed soak in potassium nitrate and H202 (diluted) in ice trays. Kept warm on heat mats. Mix is Promix BX with a lot of perlite added. Pre-moistened, then put in 72 cell 6 pack flats and bottom watered on heat mat to fully wet mix with Actinovate, kelp, Biotamax--a sliver--then drained, aerated with fork, then back to mats to await seeds. Lost a few seeds as I'm handier with turkey baster (obviously from seeds left in bulb when clean-up) when it's used for Q or turkey, but have plenty of viable seeds. Trying to prevent damping off. Seeds from Chris, Jamie (Romy6), Ed, Judy (pepperlover.com), peppergal, peppermania, Baker Creek, Trade Winds, Tomato Grower's Supply, My Patriot Supply . . . and my own saved. Now to prevent damping off. Have ordered Pyrethrin to go with Actinovate, lots of fans, soil temps were 85 this morning when wood stove was dying, restoked, back up to 90F, soil temps (sorry, no pic), as while carrying in wood in our ice and snow/ice storm yesterday morning, I fell. Sorta fell. Falling would have hurt less: why do we try to stop the inevitable? This is my first grow of superhots, so please, any suggestions?! Lemme know, please. Right now the domes are on again, but will be slanting them off in a couple days, if not sooner, and always, flats get 20 minutes fresh air in morning. (Freezing but fresh air <grin>.)

Anns2013Glogsuperhotsinaflat.jpg

Anns2013Glogsuperhot2.jpg

Anns2013Glogfanonflats.jpg

Lights and mylar box--other side of shelving unit is large white sheet (and I know the mylar is crinkled). Also there's some diluted Clorox gunk am gonna get off, but for now, I like the idea of diluted Clorox gunk.
Anns2013Gloggrowlights.jpg

Anns2013Gloglightsmylarupclose.jpg

Other side lights: fans

Anns2013Gloglightswithfans.jpg

Thanks to so many helpful members here. I hope these seeds hook, live long, prosper, aka do not damp-off. Updates, I hope :rolleyes:. Peace, Annie

stickman said:
Hi Miz Annie,
   Just a quick note to say I'm finally getting around to trying your meat blend and Bevo Squealer Juice. I browned a #3 pork roast with the meat blend and it's in the slow cooker now. Pulled pork tonight with the squealer! ;)

Lemme know how it goes, Rick! Looks great!

I broke with my own trad (well, half-way) and smoked 10# pork butt with the meat powder blend added to rub and instead of usual Eastern NC sauce, mixed with Bevo/Squealer and Moruga Red flakes; it  :onfire: rocked! (I tuned-down finishing sauce for the more timid.)

That's a fantastic grow list, Annie.  I think I counted about 80 varieties.  Mine's sitting at around 75 right now, but plans are to add a few more (and hopefully subtract a few).

How much pepper space will you have once the maple and fence are removed?  I've found it's a lot harder to remove a fence that it is to install one.  I removed one (100' of 4' 2"x4" welded wire garden fence) running right through the middle of my current garden layout.  It had some mulberry, privet, and yellow wood growing in it.  Talk about a pain.

Good luck in 2014!

Sawyer said:
That's a fantastic grow list, Annie.  I think I counted about 80 varieties.  Mine's sitting at around 75 right now, but plans are to add a few more (and hopefully subtract a few).

How much pepper space will you have once the maple and fence are removed?  I've found it's a lot harder to remove a fence that it is to install one.  I removed one (100' of 4' 2"x4" welded wire garden fence) running right through the middle of my current garden layout.  It had some mulberry, privet, and yellow wood growing in it.  Talk about a pain.

Good luck in 2014!

Yeah, and it grows, still, ArksawJohn! Might update this mess before midnight and just might begin the 2014 glog ahead of time and then again, might take it easy before that 10 mile run with old friend tomorrow. Time is so . . . fluid.

Yeah: the fence is going to be a pain, which is why I offered it free to anybody willing to take it down . . . although some on C-list thought I was offering 170 linear feet of fence and posts and gate free??? Really nut-job people around here. Seriously. I got the rest of the good wood to burn up today in my "ATV" aka, Subaru Outback. (Old buddy who's in helped me. We used old pillows I was saving to make dog and cat beds to line windows: 5 trips for nearly short-bed full of decent hard wood. Took it to car-wash and vacuumed. Done.) Rest is mulch, older: really need truck for that but if plan goes well, can just shovel it over to where new garden spot will be. I've gotten the rose bushes cut away--loppers--good gloves, some Kevlar climbing chaps converted to arm protection as well, and now just have to take chainsaw to grapevine trunk and rose bush trunks: I can pull stumps up with car jack bro is loaning me. More I think about this, more I think gonna trade neighbor with couple pints Tabasco puree (he said he'd till existing garden for one pint but my cousin does that) since he has a tractor and get neighbor to carry off wood that's not mulch, not burnable, imo, and to help me pull those posts with his tractor, and sell the blasted fence. People wanting something for nothing on my last nerve.

Once that's out of way, I only have 3 poplars, 1 walnut, 2 red bud trees, and 2 pecan to fell and I can do that myself, as long as somebody's around. Buy an extra chain and blade, just in case need to (and will need to), and smarter to do it all, and split in 3 days with a friend's wood splitter. Maple is different matter but I do know how to work the ground to lower limbs will pulley. I won't let my cousin climb that thing and just drop limbs, as it's too dangerous. Or he can work ground and I'll climb it, dang. But, not just dropping them: even when notching out and back cutting too much can go wrong. Get the sucker down to 30' and just fell it after that.   

Sorry for thinking aloud, there. The space I'll have then will be, after stump-grinding that maple, which will bore and burn first, be a level 50' x 175' garden space to go with 50' x 150' existing. Getting rid of the honey suckle is worst part but have a plan for that, which after getting maple down and out--thank God not an oak but softer wood--will be EASY. Also gonna move some azaleas (which are super easy to dig up since they're so shallow) on bank and either sell them or maybe keep one and relocate and hope it lives. Tricolor. Amazing and "created" locally by this fella who's passed on. AND have some french drain and not ironically, I have 130' of it. Saved it for something, didn't know what to do with it and now I do! Goes at base of bank to keep garden area not as wet as it would get. Another friend has bobcat with small bucket and I see no need to dig trench for the drain by hand! Not 130 feet of it! Nooo. Nice thing is, all those trees that hung there for so long, seriously rich soil. I mean, John, when I've needed humus for fungally based compost teas, I went down there, barely dug into moss. Earth worms jumped up at me. So, area will be very rich soil.

Might "take a village" but for the grunt work, I can lol, have "field trip days" to discuss Thoreau with students. I've already written that syllabus. Approved joyously by department chair: "Struggling with the American Pastoral in Transcendentalist Theory and the Contraries." Imagine. :rofl:  (Yep; title and semester layout came right off top of head: Thoreau, Dickinson, Emerson, and Poe with preludes by James Fenimore Cooper and Phillip Freneau.) Heck, college kids need to "go into the woods to live deliberately" (this rationalization for free labor is workin' for ya, right?) after reading the texts, and doing some nature-labor, they'll learn more in context than they would if we stayed in a room for the entire first half of the semester. Which is not a rationalization. I don't think. :liar

Have a great New Year John. Gotta go meet my buddy to watch this old building burn. Local FD is burning a building for practice, so a bunch of us are using this opportunity to gather and watch, take blankets just hang out, play music; somebody needs to bring a fiddle and play part of Nero!  Looking forward to your 2014, hon!

annie57 said:

Time is so . . . fluid.  So true.

I can pull stumps up with car jack bro is loaning me.   Now why didn't I think of that?  I've got two of those old "handy-man" jacks.

...get neighbor to carry off wood that's not mulch, not burnable, imo...  Or just have a bonfire on site. 

Once that's out of way, I only have 3 poplars, 1 walnut, 2 red bud trees, and 2 pecan to fell...  "Only", she said.

Buy an extra chain and blade, just in case need to (and will need to), and smarter to do it all, and split in 3 days with a friend's wood splitter. Maple is different matter but I do know how to work the ground to lower limbs will pulley. I won't let my cousin climb that thing and just drop limbs, as it's too dangerous. Or he can work ground and I'll climb it, dang. But, not just dropping them: even when notching out and back cutting too much can go wrong. Get the sucker down to 30' and just fell it after that.   Chains and pulleys and cables and come-along, oh my.  I cut a silver maple a couple of years ago that was leaning over one of my buildings (and stealing nutrients from one corner of the garden).  Took awhile, but I laid it right where I wanted, 180º from the lean.  One of the scariest things I've every done was limbing out an old hickory many years ago.  No thank you, climbing trees with a chainsaw is not for me.

Sorry for thinking aloud, there. The space I'll have then will be, after stump-grinding that maple, which will bore and burn first, be a level 50' x 175' garden space to go with 50' x 150' existing.  That's getting up to commercial scale, for hot peppers, anyway.  I hope that class is a two-semester plus summer session course; you're going to need the labor.

Getting rid of the honey suckle is worst part but have a plan for that,  Only time in my life I broke down and used Round-Up.

which after getting maple down and out--thank God not an oak but softer wood--will be EASY.   Silver maple?  For some reason I was thinking hard maple, though all but one of my own are silver.

Also gonna move some azaleas (which are super easy to dig up since they're so shallow) on bank and either sell them or maybe keep one and relocate and hope it lives. Tricolor. Amazing and "created" locally by this fella who's passed on. AND have some french drain and not ironically, I have 130' of it. Saved it for something, didn't know what to do with it and now I do! Goes at base of bank to keep garden area not as wet as it would get. Another friend has bobcat with small bucket and I see no need to dig trench for the drain by hand! Not 130 feet of it! Nooo.  I've got some trenching to do, too, both for drainage and to keep some bamboo at bay.  No bobcat, though.  I do have pick and mattock, axe, shovel, etc, and a need for exercise (if not the desire).

Nice thing is, all those trees that hung there for so long, seriously rich soil. I mean, John, when I've needed humus for fungally based compost teas, I went down there, barely dug into moss. Earth worms jumped up at me.  I lol'ed.

Might "take a village" but for the grunt work, I can lol, have "field trip days" to discuss Thoreau with students. I've already written that syllabus. Approved joyously by department chair: "Struggling with the American Pastoral in Transcendentalist Theory and the Contraries." Imagine. :rofl:  (Yep; title and semester layout came right off top of head: Thoreau, Dickinson, Emerson, and Poe with preludes by James Fenimore Cooper and Phillip Freneau.) Heck, college kids need to "go into the woods to live deliberately" (this rationalization for free labor is workin' for ya, right?) after reading the texts, and doing some nature-labor, they'll learn more in context than they would if we stayed in a room for the entire first half of the semester. Which is not a rationalization. I don't think. :liar:

Sounds like a class I'd audit.  And I like this idea for slave free labor work credit.  I've met three different people in the last two or three weeks who work with kids and have expressed interest in field trips out here.  It's not child labor if they aren't getting paid, is it?

Have a great New Year John. Gotta go meet my buddy to watch this old building burn. Local FD is burning a building for practice, so a bunch of us are using this opportunity to gather and watch, take blankets just hang out, play music; somebody needs to bring a fiddle and play part of Nero!  Looking forward to your 2014, hon!

Happy New Year to you, too, Annie.  2014 is going to be awesome for all of us!

Sawyer said:

Time is so . . . fluid.  So true. For instance, 2014 is here and oddly, feels like 2013. Hmm. Except for being in wind today/tonight feel slight dose of earache. Time and ears are fluid? "Turning and turning in the widening gyre. The falcon cannot hear the falconer" because she has a danged earache? (Yeats might actually find that interesting.)

I can pull stumps up with car jack bro is loaning me.   Now why didn't I think of that?  I've got two of those old "handy-man" jacks. The longer the handle the better!

...get neighbor to carry off wood that's not mulch, not burnable, imo...  Or just have a bonfire on site.  That would help garden-land too and if controlled, hit some that honeysuckle.

Once that's out of way, I only have 3 poplars, 1 walnut, 2 red bud trees, and 2 pecan to fell...  "Only", she said. Well, only is relative. These don't have bad side or back lean.

Buy an extra chain and blade, just in case need to (and will need to), and smarter to do it all, and split in 3 days with a friend's wood splitter. Maple is different matter but I do know how to work the ground to lower limbs will pulley. I won't let my cousin climb that thing and just drop limbs, as it's too dangerous. Or he can work ground and I'll climb it, dang. But, not just dropping them: even when notching out and back cutting too much can go wrong. Get the sucker down to 30' and just fell it after that.   Chains and pulleys and cables and come-along, oh my.  I cut a silver maple a couple of years ago that was leaning over one of my buildings (and stealing nutrients from one corner of the garden).  Took awhile, but I laid it right where I wanted, 180º from the lean.  One of the scariest things I've every done was limbing out an old hickory many years ago.  No thank you, climbing trees with a chainsaw is not for me. It is scary. Methodically and carefully wins races. Just too blasted big to fell, I think. But with other trees out of way, maybe not. But geez, 180°--was that side-lean 180° or back-lean 180°? That is to say, the blasted maple has left side lean, but want to check top ONE MORE TIME to see if . . . boy to fell that sucker 180 from front lean and 180 from side lean be a mean feat with two trucks, but whole lot safer than climbing. "What could possibly go wrong?"

Sorry for thinking aloud, there. The space I'll have then will be, after stump-grinding that maple, which will bore and burn first, be a level 50' x 175' garden space to go with 50' x 150' existing.  That's getting up to commercial scale, for hot peppers, anyway.  I hope that class is a two-semester plus summer session course; you're going to need the labor. Sadly, no; a required "American Lit" class and from looks of their GPAs none would fail, drats: lol!

Getting rid of the honey suckle is worst part but have a plan for that,  Only time in my life I broke down and used Round-Up. I don't think honey suckle cares about R-Up. Clearing out good wood today, some of it was green as grass and growing in this cold. Scorched earth policies and giving it nothing to climb to, helps. Was thinking flame thrower! Thermite? I saw this at Northern Tool and have 20 lb. propane tank and uh, student carriers of tank, ha!

which after getting maple down and out--thank God not an oak but softer wood--will be EASY.   Silver maple?  For some reason I was thinking hard maple, though all but one of my own are silver. It is hard maple but not as hard as oak: taking my blessings where I can get them.

Also gonna move some azaleas (which are super easy to dig up since they're so shallow) on bank and either sell them or maybe keep one and relocate and hope it lives. Tricolor. Amazing and "created" locally by this fella who's passed on. AND have some french drain and not ironically, I have 130' of it. Saved it for something, didn't know what to do with it and now I do! Goes at base of bank to keep garden area not as wet as it would get. Another friend has bobcat with small bucket and I see no need to dig trench for the drain by hand! Not 130 feet of it! Nooo.  I've got some trenching to do, too, both for drainage and to keep some bamboo at bay.  No bobcat, though.  I do have pick and mattock, axe, shovel, etc, and a need for exercise (if not the desire). I have no need for more exercise than I already get. And it's okay if I have an earache, I was assured; as we left burn-party tonight, friend from h.s./college says, "Nothing on my docket until next week, so we can run" (10 mile run S. Mountain State Park and MY idea?) "whenever you feel better." Her husband's fishing off SW FL until next week, too. Damnit. Said buddy from h.s./college is a lawyer but the good kind, prosecutes primarily child sexual abusers/pedophiles. For all of our sakes, she's not used to losing. We used to run barefoot on gravel to see which one gave in first. Gathering stuff to make the ATV-truck, aka Subaru wagon, we were singing, "And a country girl can survive!" With all this work, I'll take any easier softer way there is vis a vis bobcat and how does one keep bamboo at bay? But on the other hand, ya have handy homemade supports for garden! When moved back here, first house lived, HUGE forest of it down WAY down below house, garden area. Free bamboo! But glad it was far away, too.

Nice thing is, all those trees that hung there for so long, seriously rich soil. I mean, John, when I've needed humus for fungally based compost teas, I went down there, barely dug into moss. Earth worms jumped up at me.  I lol'ed. Yeah, just like sailfish; glad ya liked that! But they were startled!

Might "take a village" but for the grunt work, I can lol, have "field trip days" to discuss Thoreau with students. I've already written that syllabus. Approved joyously by department chair: "Struggling with the American Pastoral in Transcendentalist Theory and the Contraries." Imagine. :rofl:  (Yep; title and semester layout came right off top of head: Thoreau, Dickinson, Emerson, and Poe with preludes by James Fenimore Cooper and Phillip Freneau.) Heck, college kids need to "go into the woods to live deliberately" (this rationalization for free labor is workin' for ya, right?) after reading the texts, and doing some nature-labor, they'll learn more in context than they would if we stayed in a room for the entire first half of the semester. Which is not a rationalization. I don't think. :liar:

Sounds like a class I'd audit.  And I like this idea for slave free labor work credit.  I've met three different people in the last two or three weeks who work with kids and have expressed interest in field trips out here.  It's not child labor if they aren't getting paid, is it? No, sir! It is assuredly not if ya don't pay them, but they need to be old enough to be helpful. :rolleyes:

Happy New Year to you, too, Annie.  2014 is going to be awesome for all of us! You bet! :party: But ya know, sounds like a bit of work too! :shocked: ;)

Happy New Year!!!! :dance:
just been AWOL.

Beautiful Growlist. Garden expansion is always exciting. Can't wait to see it grow.

Yeap, send 'em to the woods to "live deliberately". The woods teach a lot "deliberately" and it doesn't waste any time getting around to it. A great way to solidify and verify a formal education. Even with the invasiveness of the cell phone, a six month trip up or down the Appalachian Trail is the  best post-grad undertaking a body can find in my book.  

Dayum, 42 minute 10k is smokin' :hot:  in my book. It's an old book, but it's still smokin' :hot: .(must be a sub 20 5k, eh?)

Best wIshes for '14.

I think you hit it out of the park with your "Squealer Juice"/meat blend powder combo Miz Annie!  You're right... it is pretty mild, tasting mostly of onion, garlic, tomato, a hint of the bourbon and the slight bitterness of a fermented sauce. In all, it harmonizes well with the sweetness of the pork, and your meat blend powder did a good job of kicking the heat up a couple of notches while further adding to the overall taste. Very nice combo! My wife vetoed collards in favor of a salad last night, but we'll have them tonight with Hoppin' John and rice. Happy New Year!

SANY0678_zps3987f7f7.jpg

Happy new year Annie. I don't know the size of your trees ( pecan, red bud) but I know local garden centers around me will be them off you or remove them for free with an earth spade. It's worth a phone call to your local center. I work for a school and during an addition we gave a bunch away to one. ( less work for us )
If you do cut them down leave the trunk 10 or so feet high and pull it over with your atv. ( leverage is your friend )
Enjoy your new year

annie57 said:
Buy an extra chain and blade, just in case need to (and will need to), and smarter to do it all, and split in 3 days with a friend's wood splitter. Maple is different matter but I do know how to work the ground to lower limbs will pulley. I won't let my cousin climb that thing and just drop limbs, as it's too dangerous. Or he can work ground and I'll climb it, dang. But, not just dropping them: even when notching out and back cutting too much can go wrong. Get the sucker down to 30' and just fell it after that.   Chains and pulleys and cables and come-along, oh my.  I cut a silver maple a couple of years ago that was leaning over one of my buildings (and stealing nutrients from one corner of the garden).  Took awhile, but I laid it right where I wanted, 180º from the lean.  One of the scariest things I've every done was limbing out an old hickory many years ago.  No thank you, climbing trees with a chainsaw is not for me. It is scary. Methodically and carefully wins races. Just too blasted big to fell, I think. But with other trees out of way, maybe not. But geez, 180°--was that side-lean 180° or back-lean 180°? That is to say, the blasted maple has left side lean, but want to check top ONE MORE TIME to see if . . . boy to fell that sucker 180 from front lean and 180 from side lean be a mean feat with two trucks, but whole lot safer than climbing. "What could possibly go wrong?"  I forgot to add, sledge and wedges, too.  The tree was leaning to the SE, directly over the roof of the building.  I wanted to fell it to the NW, into the garden.  Put a ladder as far up the most SE leaning part as it would go and climbed up to wrap a chain around that section as high as I could reach.  (The wind was blowing and the ladder was bobbing, so that was rough, too, until I got the top of the ladder lashed to the tree.)  Attached a cable to the end of the chain and ran it all the way across the garden to the base of a conveniently located cherry tree to which it was attached via come-along and additional chain.  Put tension on the arrangement, started cutting (a 30" trunk with a 16" bar, poor little Stihl has never been the same since), notched the NW side as best I could, then started on the SE side until the weight of the tree started to pinch the bar.  Pulled more with the come-along, then cut more, back and forth until the tree looked like it might want to swing sideways.  That's when the wedges came into play.  Put them on the east and south corners to keep everything lined up the way I wanted it.  As you say, "Methodically and carefully wins races."  It took most of an afternoon just to bring it down.  Still haven't finished cleaning up all of the trunk, but it's not in the garden so I just mow around it.

Getting rid of the honey suckle is worst part but have a plan for that,  Only time in my life I broke down and used Round-Up. I don't think honey suckle cares about R-Up. Clearing out good wood today, some of it was green as grass and growing in this cold. Scorched earth policies and giving it nothing to climb to, helps. Was thinking flame thrower! Thermite? I saw this at Northern Tool and have 20 lb. propane tank and uh, student carriers of tank, ha!  Roundup will work on honeysuckle, but you have to be sure to get uniform and complete coverage.  Fire works, too, reducing the stand by as much as 50% after one burn.  I found this link that has useful info on control.  If you decide to go with the torch and want to be economical about it, Harbor Freight has one for considerably less money.  It gets good reviews.  I have one, but haven't used it, yet, so can't speak from personal experience.  One negative aspect about it is that the handle is too short for comfort.  If you decide to go that way, PM an email address and I'll send you a 25% off coupon.  At that point, for $15 it's almost a can't lose proposition. :flamethrower:

"And a country girl folk can survive!"  Fixed that for all of us.  :)   ...and how does one keep bamboo at bay?  Good question.  I'm starting by digging an 18"-24" deep trench around the periphery of where I'm willing to let it grown.  There are root barrier membranes available, but I think they are relatively expensive.  Maybe bury some sheet metal strips?  But on the other hand, ya have handy homemade supports for garden! When moved back here, first house lived, HUGE forest of it down WAY down below house, garden area. Free bamboo! But glad it was far away, too.  Yes, indeedy!  Mine is Golden Bamboo, Phyllostachys aurea -- if I'd known that from the start I wouldn't have let it take over; I thought it was a native river cane at first -- and doesn't reach the bong- or Chinese scaffolding-sizes one sometimes sees.  The biggest I've had was about 30' tall and maybe 2" in diameter.  But it does make good garden supports, and fishing poles.  I'm currently designing a system to make charcoal out of 3'-4' sections.  "Make use of what you've got." 

But ya know, sounds like a bit of work too! :shocked: ;)  That it does! 

Sawyer said:

Buy an extra chain and blade, just in case need to (and will need to), and smarter to do it all, and split in 3 days with a friend's wood splitter. Maple is different matter but I do know how to work the ground to lower limbs will pulley. I won't let my cousin climb that thing and just drop limbs, as it's too dangerous. Or he can work ground and I'll climb it, dang. But, not just dropping them: even when notching out and back cutting too much can go wrong. Get the sucker down to 30' and just fell it after that.   Chains and pulleys and cables and come-along, oh my.  I cut a silver maple a couple of years ago that was leaning over one of my buildings (and stealing nutrients from one corner of the garden).  Took awhile, but I laid it right where I wanted, 180º from the lean.  One of the scariest things I've every done was limbing out an old hickory many years ago.  No thank you, climbing trees with a chainsaw is not for me. It is scary. Methodically and carefully wins races. Just too blasted big to fell, I think. But with other trees out of way, maybe not. But geez, 180°--was that side-lean 180° or back-lean 180°? That is to say, the blasted maple has left side lean, but want to check top ONE MORE TIME to see if . . . boy to fell that sucker 180 from front lean and 180 from side lean be a mean feat with two trucks, but whole lot safer than climbing. "What could possibly go wrong?"  I forgot to add, sledge and wedges, too.  The tree was leaning to the SE, directly over the roof of the building.  I wanted to fell it to the NW, into the garden.  Put a ladder as far up the most SE leaning part as it would go and climbed up to wrap a chain around that section as high as I could reach.  (The wind was blowing and the ladder was bobbing, so that was rough, too, until I got the top of the ladder lashed to the tree.)  Attached a cable to the end of the chain and ran it all the way across the garden to the base of a conveniently located cherry tree to which it was attached via come-along and additional chain.  Put tension on the arrangement, started cutting (a 30" trunk with a 16" bar, poor little Stihl has never been the same since), notched the NW side as best I could, then started on the SE side until the weight of the tree started to pinch the bar.  Pulled more with the come-along, then cut more, back and forth until the tree looked like it might want to swing sideways.  That's when the wedges came into play.  Put them on the east and south corners to keep everything lined up the way I wanted it.  As you say, "Methodically and carefully wins races."  It took most of an afternoon just to bring it down.  Still haven't finished cleaning up all of the trunk, but it's not in the garden so I just mow around it. Now that, description sounds like smart. I offered on C-list free wood to cut it. Fools calling me, and I'm "As long as you got wedges." And them, "Well, we got them metal kind, yeah." Enough said. I got them metal kind too! But up a small log piece with 16# sledge with those wedges to split, great; but metal on metal if the chain, never mind; you know where am going. Rebuild that Stihl! Dang, after that, the demon deserves it: GOOD JOB, John! You've inspired me Arksaw John. I think I can or we can--my crazy cuz wants to climb it--but once he's up there, no guarantee he'll use the pulley system to lower, and next thing I know, am caring for an invalid for rest of my life. Jesus.

But if go against it's forward lean (W) which is only about 10% (doing some Trig here) and side lean due S at 25%, can tie off to a neighbor's big-a oak, which is healthy and would just love to take down for her for firewood (not as component of felling the maple, ha), as it is NE and a gazillion miles--no just 75 yards--away. Maybe my cousin would just be happy climbing to chain off to come-along? He can even pretend he's building a tree-house for a moment. (Geez.) Wedges S and W. Only issue is how much canopy, for real--was just out there cutting grapevine with chainsaw and even w/ earmuffs, had to stop, rest aching ear--but got serious about scanning top since you posted last night about going 180 with fell: not too bad canopy on west. South is virtually none. West and East are equal with LARGE portion canopy North, which helps. (Am seriously trying to get out of climbing this thing.) Thank you!

Getting rid of the honey suckle is worst part but have a plan for that,  Only time in my life I broke down and used Round-Up. I don't think honey suckle cares about R-Up. Clearing out good wood today, some of it was green as grass and growing in this cold. Scorched earth policies and giving it nothing to climb to, helps. Was thinking flame thrower! Thermite? I saw this at Northern Tool and have 20 lb. propane tank and uh, student carriers of tank, ha!  Roundup will work on honeysuckle, but you have to be sure to get uniform and complete coverage.  Fire works, too, reducing the stand by as much as 50% after one burn.  I found this link that has useful info on control.  If you decide to go with the torch and want to be economical about it, Harbor Freight has one for considerably less money.  It gets good reviews.  I have one, but haven't used it, yet, so can't speak from personal experience.  One negative aspect about it is that the handle is too short for comfort.  If you decide to go that way, PM an email address and I'll send you a 25% off coupon.  At that point, for $15 it's almost a can't lose proposition. :flamethrower:THANK YOU, JOHN!! I checked it out and that'll work just fine!! Thank you!!

"And a country girl folk can survive!"  Fixed that for all of us.  :)   LOL!...and how does one keep bamboo at bay?  Good question.  I'm starting by digging an 18"-24" deep trench around the periphery of where I'm willing to let it grown.  There are root barrier membranes available, but I think they are relatively expensive.  Maybe bury some sheet metal strips?  But on the other hand, ya have handy homemade supports for garden! When moved back here, first house lived, HUGE forest of it down WAY down below house, garden area. Free bamboo! But glad it was far away, too.  Yes, indeedy!  Mine is Golden Bamboo, Phyllostachys aurea -- if I'd known that from the start I wouldn't have let it take over; I thought it was a native river cane at first -- and doesn't reach the bong- or Chinese scaffolding-sizes one sometimes sees.  The biggest I've had was about 30' tall and maybe 2" in diameter.  But it does make good garden supports, and fishing poles.  I'm currently designing a system to make charcoal out of 3'-4' sections.  "Make use of what you've got."  And bamboo charcoal bags are great odor neutralizers, like for folks who have unfinished crawl spaces: yeah!! Kind we they had could get huge. We cut at around 4" to get to shrink to 2" and am still using some of those poles in garden.

But ya know, sounds like a bit of work too! :shocked: ;)  That it does! Well, gotta go, with ear etc. move some contractor bagged compost to raised beds, off pallets, as some friends are bringing me a pickup truck of recently split--but felled last winter--hickory on Friday. "Recently split" mimics green to slow burn of my really seasoned fire wood. Am happy camper with earache!! Really! :party: Heck so what if a lot is work? I can take it easy when dead. Again, thank you so much, John!

JJJessee said:
Happy New Year!!!! :dance:
just been AWOL.

Beautiful Growlist. Garden expansion is always exciting. Can't wait to see it grow.

Yeap, send 'em to the woods to "live deliberately". The woods teach a lot "deliberately" and it doesn't waste any time getting around to it. A great way to solidify and verify a formal education. Even with the invasiveness of the cell phone, a six month trip up or down the Appalachian Trail is the  best post-grad undertaking a body can find in my book.  

Dayum, 42 minute 10k is smokin' :hot:  in my book. It's an old book, but it's still smokin' :hot: .(must be a sub 20 5k, eh?)

Best wIshes for '14.

Hey JJJCarl! How are ya, neighbor? That was a good day run, man. I average 22:5 and 55:10. 1. I hate to run 5ks. About the only one I really try to make is Karen Styles in A-ville but they moved it to Feb., most years, now. I just shudder at thought of 5ks: road-race, no scenery, nada. Don't have much time to get in a gone-zone, nada. But pride goes before a fall and with the ear, my buddy so graciously put off our run until Sat. "Bless her heart." I tried today, got two miles with this ear and said, "Hell with it." Came back, showered, got restless and went back to work on that idiotic grapevine. Got it about all off and ready for a really nice fire!

Glad you like my in vivo, experiential, I mean if I have to teach a class in "American Lit" why not let everybody benefit? I might even let them fell couple twigs. (Not that Thoreau likely did, but his reality v. writing of Walden is irrelevant! Love his cost/benefit analysis though. :rofl: Gonna quit rankin' on H.D. now. I just prefer Dickinson: "Transcend what? We're there, while here." Yeah buddy!) I'm glad you like the idea, JX3C ;) ; there is a good deal of sincerity in the gesture (as well as "jesture"), given I have to teach college students to sharpen an old, old mattock (my grandfather's) with file handle that he hand carved in 1940's (new file); of course, I just sharpened it but it'll be dull soon). I wonder if they can tear up both at same time . . . maybe I should give 'em 40 grit sandpaper (I use an angle-grinder but hell no!) Kids ought to learn stuff like this (even if HDT really didn't). The 2 only correct methods to start a chainsaw? Heck, I get one good at Trig and we can fell trees! :shocked:  Yeah, looking forward to more garden space. Quick question, though "JX3C." 

Even when I fell, we, my cousin and I, fell those black walnut trees (am surprised juglone has not done more damage. I don't bother trying to plant anything nightshade up there or sure-fire way for cukes to die), but once we fell, limb, buck, and either sell 8' pieces to Remington--they'll come get it and pay ya something for stock or heck, buck short and roll to splitter, NOT to split in garden if gonna burn it for firewood, but if we do this, THIS month or Feb, go back with chicken manure, all coffee grinds go there. Stump might pull but have doubts, what about spade-bitting down deep into short trunk remaining and potassium nitrate with sugar and water, then wait and douse w/kerosene? I mean, burn heck out of stump to roots--keep that fire going--just keep burning that stump, way down to roots. Cousin suggested 50 gallon drum cut in half and just keep burning since I got "stump-burning" trash wood? And then rip garden again--over time I've gone behind cousin, ripping garden, and he'd stop, we've axed and sawed those roots and tossed them. Go back again, go deeper, rinse/repeat. I don't WANT to grind it: no. Put that bark in that garden forever. No. I want to do at least as much as possible to roots before I ask friend with bobcat to try to dig it up. (And yes; I've thought of dynamite. I like the idea of dynamite!) 

Any ideas short of dynamite, JJJ? Or maybe a "little" dynamite? :cool:  Have great 2014!

stickman said:
I think you hit it out of the park with your "Squealer Juice"/meat blend powder combo Miz Annie!  You're right... it is pretty mild, tasting mostly of onion, garlic, tomato, a hint of the bourbon and the slight bitterness of a fermented sauce. In all, it harmonizes well with the sweetness of the pork, and your meat blend powder did a good job of kicking the heat up a couple of notches while further adding to the overall taste. Very nice combo! My wife vetoed collards in favor of a salad last night, but we'll have them tonight with Hoppin' John and rice. Happy New Year!

SANY0678_zps3987f7f7.jpg

Glad ya'll enjoyed, Rick! Looks good! Good deal on the collards later!! :dance:

Scarecrw said:
Happy new year Annie. I don't know the size of your trees ( pecan, red bud) but I know local garden centers around me will be them off you or remove them for free with an earth spade. It's worth a phone call to your local center. I work for a school and during an addition we gave a bunch away to one. ( less work for us )
If you do cut them down leave the trunk 10 or so feet high and pull it over with your atv. ( leverage is your friend )
Enjoy your new year

Uh, these stumps are big but thank you SCrow!

Devv said:
Happy New Year Annie!

Happy New Year, Scotty!

What say you about black walnut? I asked JJJCarl or "JX3C" above. I want that one in particular so GONE. All: jugalone is toxic to too much.

The luck of 2014: Hoecake aka my version Johnny, fried in cast iron, THIN, collards, turnip greens, flavored with hambone, lots of black-eyed peas and of course, Tab vinegar and a few Tabs.

AnnsGlog2014HappyNewYearb-eyedpeasj-cakecollards_zps7f2ed325.jpg

Everybody have a great Thursday in 2014! :party:

Annie,

What I do here when I want a tree to go away like a Mesquite, which are hard to kill, is the cut it flush to the ground, then I take the small wood and stack it on the stump. Not all, as you want to keep it going; adding as needed to keep a nice bed of coals going. Get a fire going and keep it running slow for a weekend, exposing some of the trunk below the surface will help. Once it gets going it should kill the root system; I hoe it out , you know move the dirt and expose more of the trunk/root system. This should kill it, but won't remove all the root system. The thing is you need to start now, the longer you have until the burn the better. Works here well because the sand stays drier, don't know how things will work in clay country..So I think for year one doing it this way it's dead, but how the root system affects your garden is unknown to me. Nothing here has shallow roots..

Wish I could scarf the wood!  LOL ;)

Nice traditional 1/1/xx feast there, Annie.  
I went with Pad Thai for supper from my back porch wok. Even broke down and bought a green pepper from the supermarket and had brought home some long eggplants from the Asian market in Richmond yesterday.

I think Devv is right on it with the dig and burn method. I'd try to shovel out a hole almost 2' deep and 2' bigger radius than the tree and burn until satisfied. B Walnut doesn't root sucker like locust that I've ever seen. If the grinding were economical, I wouldn't be too concerned about the poison. Just get up as much of the chips as you could and maybe do a light burn. A hard burn has soil consequences too I'd think.

I hear ya on the 5k, Never had any speed, so I prefer long enough to take in some scenery, and not worry about upchucking at the finish line  :shocked:  :sick:

Good Luck for 2014!

maximumcapsicum said:
Making me hungry. Happy New Year Annie!

Happy New Year, Adam! That pic just suxed but after lookin' collards and turnip greens day before yesterday in between bouts of new-garden-space work, soaking black-eyed peas, and whippin' up that hoecake, after more NGS (new garden space) work yesterday, I'z tired. Everything Ramon taught me about shooting went out window!

Didn't give rat's rear about Rose Bowl. I care about as much about Sugar Bowl tonight as I wish Tide and OU could both get beaten. Got a bet on Clemson v Ohio State in Orange and want Auburn to take BCS. Frankly, wish they'd have a tournament like they do in basketball. But after some mind-numbing tv, heating pad on back, comfy couch and full tummy with fire in wood stove, fell asleep!

Hi Miz Annie,
   Yeah, toxins in Black Walnut are a drag if you're reclaiming the space for a garden, especially for Nightshades. I would hope that burning the roots would take care of it but it's not something I know much about... Why not build raised beds with well-draining soil inside and landscaping fabric underneath to keep the roots inside the raised bed so they don't come in contact with the contaminated soil? Then 3-4 years later when the roots have rotted enough you can put your plants in-ground. It's probably an easier solution than digging up and burning the roots I would think...

It's been years since I was cross-trained as a sapper in the Army, but if I were to use explosives to remove the stump and roots I would probably use the "snake-hole" method... use a 5ft crowbar to angle a small hole underneath, cap and tamp a small charge in the bottom of the hole and backfill with mud slurry. Blast mats are a good idea to avoid flying debris... Kids, don't try this at home!

Devv said:
Annie,

What I do here when I want a tree to go away like a Mesquite, which are hard to kill, is the cut it flush to the ground, then I take the small wood and stack it on the stump. Not all, as you want to keep it going; adding as needed to keep a nice bed of coals going. Get a fire going and keep it running slow for a weekend, exposing some of the trunk below the surface will help. Once it gets going it should kill the root system; I hoe it out , you know move the dirt and expose more of the trunk/root system. This should kill it, but won't remove all the root system. The thing is you need to start now, the longer you have until the burn the better. Works here well because the sand stays drier, don't know how things will work in clay country..So I think for year one doing it this way it's dead, but how the root system affects your garden is unknown to me. Nothing here has shallow roots..

Wish I could scarf the wood!  LOL ;)

Thanks, Scott. I still want to spade down center trunk and go laterally with spade bit with some KNO3, sugar water, and then go again with same and kerosene in holes, then some wood. Slap 1/2 50 gallon drum with lid over it--air-holes drilled in and as you said, use mattock to keep digging around to get fire to roots, keep adding wood for slow smolder down to roots. The roots coming toward garden are almost all gone. Dug up when ripping, pulled and cut back, but I don't go near drip line--that BWalnut has been near garden all along--just sick of "Oh can't plant that there" and the constant clean-up of it. Also, have emailed Remington Corp Headquarters in Madison, NC to see if they want to pay me for walnut--I suppose they still use some walnut for stocks. If don't hear from them soon, it's gonna be firewood. Wish I could fly you and JX3C here: "Have anything to check?" "Just this logging truck."

JJJessee said:
Nice traditional 1/1/xx feast there, Annie.  
I went with Pad Thai for supper from my back porch wok. Even broke down and bought a green pepper from the supermarket and had brought home some long eggplants from the Asian market in Richmond yesterday.

I think Devv is right on it with the dig and burn method. I'd try to shovel out a hole almost 2' deep and 2' bigger radius than the tree and burn until satisfied. B Walnut doesn't root sucker like locust that I've ever seen. If the grinding were economical, I wouldn't be too concerned about the poison. Just get up as much of the chips as you could and maybe do a light burn. A hard burn has soil consequences too I'd think.

I hear ya on the 5k, Never had any speed, so I prefer long enough to take in some scenery, and not worry about upchucking at the finish line  :shocked:  :sick:

Good Luck for 2014!

You deviant, JX3C! Sounds good! ;)

NO; nothing puts out suckers like locust. Except kudzu and honeysuckle.  Mmm.

As far away from existing garden--I've been planting there--just tired of the drip line, tired of clean-up, tired of it, period--and given that stump will still be on upslope to garden and that walnut is so, so hard, eh, bring it to ground level, dig, and burn. I don't even trust burning what's limbed out in it. Nope: got mess of "crap wood" for that: pine and pecan. The roots headed to garden have been diminished over time. Walnut is a slow grower and can only hope the burn will get to lateral roots. Given that little bit of slope, have good bet all roots want to grow down. At least I won't have to explain, in event Remington doesn't want to pay me for the stuff and pick it up, "We're not splitting this in garden." Nope. I don't trust that tree, any bit of it. Don't even like felling it in garden. Guess I could put "silencer" on chainsaw, ha! and fell it onto property across ditch behind it, since they don't care about that land, which they should and at one time, original owners did; but it is a good burning wood.

Neither y'all wanting to go with dynamite about to hurt my feelings!

5ks, yuck. But for good causes, I'll do them and occasionally nice to get heart-rate up but I can do that in 2 miles. Other runners tend not to be terribly cordial in 5ks either--brings out the worst in runners, so just gimme a reasonable 10k and I never throw-up but that's beside the point. Heck, as buddy I used to run through gorge with said about his marathons, "The idea is to finish. I might be goin' so slow am running in reverse and little old ladies w/ walkers passing me, but the idea is just to finish." Yep! But 5ks just aren't like that: runners try to bump ya to outside, and everybody zipping all at once for the duration. NASCAR drivers employ more etiquette.

Thank you both!

One other thought... do you have any local companies that sell specialty hardwoods? I'll bet they'd be over there in a flash if your price was right. I knew a family in Berkshire County, MA that had two 100+ year-old Black Walnuts planted in the front yard for shade. They left for a week's vacation and came home to find them gone... sounds like the "Wood Weasels" paid a visit...

stickman said:
Hi Miz Annie,
   Yeah, toxins in Black Walnut are a drag if you're reclaiming the space for a garden, especially for Nightshades. I would hope that burning the roots would take care of it but it's not something I know much about... Why not build raised beds with well-draining soil inside and landscaping fabric underneath to keep the roots inside the raised bed so they don't come in contact with the contaminated soil? Then 3-4 years later when the roots have rotted enough you can put your plants in-ground. It's probably an easier solution than digging up and burning the roots I would think...

It's been years since I was cross-trained as a sapper in the Army, but if I were to use explosives to remove the stump and roots I would probably use the "snake-hole" method... use a 5ft crowbar to angle a small hole underneath, cap and tamp a small charge... place the charge in the bottom of the hole and backfill with mud slurry. Blast mats are a good idea to avoid flying debris... Kids, don't try this at home!

I can't afford raised beds just to tear down, Rick. But mon, I fly you down here and we get some stump/roots up and OUT! Blast mats or "we can fix that vinyl siding for ya; ahh yes, that back door . . . shame" lol. No; I don't destroy property but it's work smarter not harder when possible.

But then, I watched my great-grandfather, method to his madness--get my grandfather (the one with double-digit IQ) to hitch 4 mules to ropes to chain up in tree. I guess. I was little. And I wondered why he hitched one mule that would stop and stand in a field for hours. Just stand there. Until my g-grandfather walked away: then, it ran. So, he hitched the smart-a mule, smartest one he had, and those ropes to mule hitch guided by my grandfather. (My great-grandfather knew what was going to happen.) He got that tree almost felling and my grandfather was screaming at the mules but none were moving since the one wasn't. Until that old mule heard the split and took off like a rocket, rest of mules pulling with him! Thankfully my grandfather got out of way and the mules were WAY beyond fell. Better than a truck: they knew which way to run: away!

We need to talk more about this "small charge." :dance: I like! Thank you, Rick!

Back