• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Another benefit of growing organically (New Study)

I don't need anymore proof then what I witness on a daily basis with my garden and lawn, but love reading new stuff...

Edit..woot woot 500th post...pat on my back for such a lame milestone...

This is why I love organic growing!
I am not a hippie or a vegan or anything like that, I just love the science behind organic growing and how it all works together. Amazing stuff!

Yeah same here , however I'm married to a tree hugging vegetarian...

but the soil food web fascinates me as well...

I should also edit in there that she is also a hippie as well...god bless her lmao

sp33d said:
I don't need anymore proof then what I witness on a daily basis with my garden and lawn, but love reading new stuff...

Edit..woot woot 500th post...pat on my back for such a lame milestone...
Congrats! I will give you a pat. Always cool to see those double zeros come up. Soon triples, right? Yes organic is the way. It feels good to be a ......ahhhh, I really want to quote something here, but my good sense says let it go! Great article PMD, thanks for sharing

SL3 said:
Congrats! I will give you a pat. Always cool to see those double zeros come up. Soon triples, right? Yes organic is the way. It feels good to be a ......ahhhh, I really want to quote something here, but my good sense says let it go! Great article PMD, thanks for sharing
Wink wink lol

Reactions: SL3
Have you read the actual study? It doesn't really give another benefit for growing organically. It is just a study showing how legumes recognise the nitrogen fixing bacteria and form the nodules and some of the changes that these induce. Ironically they use GM plants to demonstrate this. It is neither a for or against organic farming slant, in fact it has very little to do with either, imo.

I do appreciate the benefits of a healthy diverse microbiome.

Celtic67 said:
Have you read the actual study? It doesn't really give another benefit for growing organically. It is just a study showing how legumes recognise the nitrogen fixing bacteria and form the nodules and some of the changes that these induce. Ironically they use GM plants to demonstrate this. It is neither a for or against organic farming slant, in fact it has very little to do with either, imo.

I do appreciate the benefits of a healthy diverse microbiome.
It did say, "This could have implications for future sustainable agriculture, where useful microorganisms are increasingly sought to replace pesticides."
I am saying it's another reason to grow organically, not the article.

Proud Marine Dad said:
It did say, "This could have implications for future sustainable agriculture, where useful microorganisms are increasingly sought to replace pesticides."
I am saying it's another reason to grow organically, not the article.

The authors wrote that themselves as they are trying to big up a quite obscure article, I never said the article stated it's a reason to grow organically (as it doesn't), I was just saying that the study findings has nothing to do with the benefits of growing organically (as stated in your thread title.)  ;)  

Celtic67 said:

The authors wrote that themselves as they are trying to big up a quite obscure article, I never said the article stated it's a reason to grow organically (as it doesn't), I was just saying that the study findings has nothing to do with the benefits of growing organically (as stated in your thread title.)  ;)  
OK let me rephrase it then.....Another reason to not grow with pesticides. Better? ;)

Proud Marine Dad said:
Forget it. :high:

You should like this article though  ;)

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/33703/title/Fighting-Microbes-with-Microbes/

microbe_infograph_650NEW.jpg

A LOOK AT THE SOIL MICROBIOME
Plant pathogens, such as the Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato (1), can enter through leaf pores known as stomata, which control respiration and releaseof water (2). In response to infection, plants release L-malic acid (3) from their roots, a food source for the beneficial bacterium Bacillus subtilis (4). The bacteria release toxins that suppress the root’s antimicrobial defenses (5) and stave off other potentially pathogenic bacterial strains (6), allowing B. subtilis to colonize the roots. B. subtiliscolonization, in turn, causes the plant to produce abscisic acid, which leads to stomatal closing (7), helping prevent further infection. Similarly, when plants are infected with the tomato blight fungusAlternaria solani (8), nearby plants can initiate their own defenses by sensing warning signals transmitted between the plants via a plant root-fungal symbiotic system, the mycorrhiza, containing the beneficial fungus Glomus mosseae (9).

An interesting finding from one of the studies is that plants who have had a symbiotic relationship with the B. subtilis will produce seeds that give rise to plants which have better resistance to disease even if they are not forming a symbiotic relationship with the bacteria themselves i.e. get seeds from people who grow with a healthy soil microbiome as these will be more resistant to disease. Something for the seed vendors on here to consider!!

Celtic67 said:

lol not really as it has nothing to do with pesticides either  ;)

Pesticides kill beneficial micro organisms. Pesticides that build up in your soil stay there, preventing micro-organisms from thriving for years.

Dulac said:

Pesticides kill beneficial micro organisms. Pesticides that build up in your soil stay there, preventing micro-organisms from thriving for years.

Yes, but the study in question does not use pesticides or attempt to measure the beneficial effects of the bacteria i.e. compare it with plants grown without them. So, saying that it is a study demonstrating the benefits of organic or not using pesticides is simply not true (it was never the intention of the authors who designed the study) It is a purely mechanistic study trying to understand the MAMP (microbe-associated molecular pattern) receptors behind legumes recognising the SRB, it doesn't even apply to peppers. 

Celtic67 said:

Yes, but the study in question does not use pesticides or attempt to measure the beneficial effects of the bacteria i.e. compare it with plants grown without them. So, saying that it is a study demonstrating the benefits of organic or not using pesticides is simply not true (it was never the intention of the authors who designed the study) It is a purely mechanistic study trying to understand the MAMP (microbe-associated molecular pattern) receptors behind legumes recognising the SRB, it doesn't even apply to peppers. 

The study doesn't mention pesticides. However, breaking the mechanic (e.g. pesticides), the study is talking about, isn't desirable. The study we are viewing doesn't need to bother with pesticides, which would distract from the study. Studies on the effects of pesticides complement this article. The reason OP mentioned organic is because organic growers focus a lot on having healthy soil.

It's talking about microorganisms. 

Quote from the summary:

"Researchers have discovered revealed new fundamental features of biomolecular interactions that enable plants to identify and respond appropriately to microorganisms."

It also [SIZE=12.727272033691406px]mentioned[/SIZE] this (which is directly related to organic farming practices and goals):

"This could have implications for future sustainable agriculture, where useful microorganisms are increasingly sought to replace pesticides"

They're saying it has implications for sustainable [SIZE=15.454545021057129px]agriculture[/SIZE] because Rhizobium bacteria leaves nitrogen.

Dulac said:

The study doesn't mention pesticides. However, breaking the mechanic (e.g. pesticides), the study is talking about, isn't desirable. The study we are viewing doesn't need to bother with pesticides, which would distract from the study. Studies on the effects of pesticides complement this article. The reason OP mentioned organic is because organic growers focus a lot on having healthy soil.

It's talking about microorganisms. 

Quote from the summary:

"Researchers have discovered revealed new fundamental features of biomolecular interactions that enable plants to identify and respond appropriately to microorganisms."

Here is a question for you; what happens if you remove/destroy microorganisms with pesticides given the knowledge of this article?

Based on the knowledge gained only from this article - It is impossible to know what would happen if you removed/destroy micro-organisms as I stated previously, it was not tested for in this study.

Celtic67 said:

Based on the knowledge gained only from this article - It is impossible to know what would happen if you removed/destroy micro-organisms as I stated previously, it was not tested for in this study.

I removed the question after thinking it was silly. However, less nitrogen (implicit) would be left according to the article due to the way it reacts by producing less or no rhizobium bacteria.

Back