• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Another benefit of growing organically (New Study)

Dulac said:

I removed the question after thinking it was silly. However, less nitrogen would be left according to the article.

Thank you, I wasn't trying to annoy or get into an argument. I was just stating that this study offers nothing new about the benefits of SRB to legumes - We have known about the symbiotic relationship between these two for years, even school kids are taught about this. 

Celtic67 said:

Thank you, I wasn't trying to annoy or get into an argument. I was just stating that this study offers nothing new about the benefits of SRB to legumes - We have known about the symbiotic relationship between these two for years, even school kids are taught about this. 

Oh ok. You're right. It doesn't offer us anything new.

Still some good discussion here through regardless of the study. The genetics are where I think we need to go back to the future ... only using seeds from plants grown organically is where I would like to get to

Trippa said:
Still some good discussion here through regardless of the study. The genetics are where I think we need to go back to the future ... only using seeds from plants grown organically is where I would like to get to

I think in the future the lines between organic and non organic farming will become blurred (I do not totally understand the differences in SOME cases), in that it will be harder to separate the two as scientists will start to realise (as they are with respect to human health) that the bacteria associated with the plants are vitally important. Say for example someone discovered a compound which technically was considered non organic (say a synthesised peptide, made up of all the naturally occurring amino acids that say existed in the wild but not in sufficient numbers to be used on a mass scale), but the sole purpose and only effect was to boost the numbers of beneficial bacteria in the soil were it was broken down completely and had absolutely no effect on anything else but the bacteria and therefore the plant, would you object to it?

Celtic67 said:

I think in the future the lines between organic and non organic farming will become blurred (I do not totally understand the differences in SOME cases), in that it will be harder to separate the two as scientists will start to realise (as they are with respect to human health) that the bacteria associated with the plants are vitally important. Say for example someone discovered a compound which technically was considered non organic (say a synthesised peptide, made up of all the naturally occurring amino acids that say existed in the wild but not in sufficient numbers to be used on a mass scale), but the sole purpose and only effect was to boost the numbers of beneficial bacteria in the soil were it was broken down completely and had absolutely no effect on anything else but the bacteria and therefore the plant, would you object to it?
Sounds like that would easily pass OMRI here as "Organic"

Proud Marine Dad said:
Trippa, you mean you don't want the GMO crap from Monsanto? :rofl:
Well that for sure :D ... but further then that I would like to only grow seeds where possible in the future from people who use organic only principals ... and heirloom varieties in some cases (especially apples etc which taste but don't look miles better).. I had quite a collection of these types of seeds when I lived in New Zealand which I had to give up...
Celtic67 said:

I think the lines are already sufficiently blurred ... the only way to be certain you are satisfied with the "organic" produce and products even now is to to grow/produce your own inputs and produce/ food ... I think technology is both a blessing and a curse for the future of organics ...

taking anything out of the whole system as a singular part and looking at it in isolation is where the human race always comes unstuck ... nothing has zero effect ... that is just not possible with the laws of matter/physics

Back