• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Another bug ID please. And egg ID.

Hi again all. Found these bugs on the tomato plants today, and have also seen them on 1 of my hab plants. Does anyone know what they are? Good or bad?
20130825_172933.jpg

Also found these eggs on my cayenne plant. Quick Google search says lacewing eggs. Is this correct? If so, leaving well alone!
20130825_172712.jpg

megahot said:
1st pic I think is Assassin bug larvae which is really good!!!
Heres a pic for reference

http://www.google.com/search?q=assassin+bug+larvae&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=W5EaUszrL6b8iQKY8ICgAg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=360&bih=567&sei=YpEaUoKtOu33igLt94H4CA#biv=i%7C4%3Bd%7Ci8pcnyL17MEYYM%3A

2nd pic looks like Lacewing eggs which are also extremely beneficial!!!

Hope they are assassin nymphs. They look a little different to the assassins that are on my bell pepper plant though. We've been getting a lot of sap sucking insects on the tomatoes so wasn't sure if these were babies from them or not. Picked a couple of toms today and these things were all over them. Tomatoes were pretty messed up too.
Definitely leaving the eggs alone. Been seeing a lot of lacewings at work in the morning and getting seriously tempted to grab some to bring home lol.

1st pic doesn't look like assassins to me. They are clustered, and the spots are black, and the hind part is flattened into an oval. If it was in my garden I would label those as stink bugs = bad. If you can get a good look at the mouth parts, assassin bugs have long "fangs" almost as long as the main joint of their leg that they stab other insects with.  

So assassins for sure? I only ask cos all the pictures I've looked at of assassins they don't have the black spine looking things on the abdomen that these do. Just wanting to make sure as I'd hate to leave them if they'll do some damage.

MeatHead1313 said:
So assassins for sure? I only ask cos all the pictures I've looked at of assassins they don't have the black spine looking things on the abdomen that these do. Just wanting to make sure as I'd hate to leave them if they'll do some damage.

When u are not sure and dont want to take the risk u can allways try to get rid of them. U are making me doubt myself with those spine things on their backs...

If they are assassins, they are a different species from what we have in Houston. The black spines, the flattened abdomen, the grouping behavior, and the slightly flattened first segment of the hind legs indicate leaf footed bug. As they grow a little bigger, the flat leg segment will become more pronounced and they will start to lose the orange color. Assassins will maintain the orange color and will develop brown patches on the sides of the thorax that will eventually grown into wings. PepperDaddler's pic is 100% an assassin. Several pics from different angles of assassins in my garden are in this thread:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32123-assassins/?hl=assassins

Here is a pic of leaf footed bug nymphs from Texas A&M website:
IMG_0696%20Leaf-footed%20bug%20nymphs.GIF

PepperWhisperer said:
If they are assassins, they are a different species from what we have in Houston. The black spines, the flattened abdomen, the grouping behavior, and the slightly flattened first segment of the hind legs indicate leaf footed bug. As they grow a little bigger, the flat leg segment will become more pronounced and they will start to lose the orange color. Assassins will maintain the orange color and will develop brown patches on the sides of the thorax that will eventually grown into wings. PepperDaddler's pic is 100% an assassin. Several pics from different angles of assassins in my garden are in this thread:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32123-assassins/?hl=assassins

Here is a pic of leaf footed bug nymphs from Texas A&M website:
IMG_0696%20Leaf-footed%20bug%20nymphs.GIF

That's them. That explains the damage on the tomato plants too. Getting rid of them asap.
And yeah PepperDaddler's pic is what I have on my pepper plants. Saw them eating some bugs yesterday so leaving those alone.

Back