• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests another bug id

Found a couple bugs. One after doing some google searches looks like a tortoise shell beetle and then another, looks to be cousin of a lady bug. Didnt see them on the list on the pest post thought I would share with you and see what you thought. The tortoise shell beetle scared the crap out of me, my wife and I thought it was some bird dung on the leaf, cleaned it and it fell off. Looked closer and was like this looks like a baby frog got plastered in slime, my wife said it looks like a turtle. Either way took a picture of it, flipped it over to get the underside. Thing hadn't moved the entire time, then when i put it on its back it flung open. scared me!

_MG_5980_zpss22vlfuj.jpg

_MG_5982_zpsavorttrk.jpg

Some sites says it eats foliage. Your thoughts?

Also not sure about this one, so any feedback is appreciated. (sorry for the blurryness, was in a rush.

_MG_5986_zpsin1kwqmf.jpg

That bottom pic looks very much like a "bug" I find around here in Cincy, OH. They tend to look very similar to "lightening bugs" with roughly the same size body but with a much much smaller head & longer antennae. I've never noticed any damage from them so I never bothered to id them..
Good luck.

Been trying to research them, they feed on Solanaceae which I guess Tabasco is a member of, and possibly some other flowers my wife has. So weird, never seen one before. Cool looking but creepy at the same time.

Back