• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Another chilli id thread

I got a couple of chillies from a blokes at work, just wanted to find out what variety they are. Thought it might be worth grabbing some seed from them.

whatisit01.jpg

whatisit02.jpg

I thought they were some type of habanero. :?:

Anyone have any clues/ideas on what I have been given?

That's how the smaller peppers in a batch of red chinenses I got here in the US looked.

The larger ones looked like this...
DSCN0618.jpg

I asked the produce guy, and he said they were labeled "Carribbean Red Habaneros" by the people they bought them from. They don't look like a habanero pod type (Where's Willard?) I saved seeds from mine. They had a great sweet fruity flavor that wasn't so smokey like Habs tend to be. More sweet and fruity. I Liked them a lot, and they had a great burn.

Let us know what you think of them!

Habs all have that apricot like flavor and smell. I have never got anything smokey out of a hab. I even am harvesting White peruvian habs that are suppose to be smokey that i detect none of== only that charactertic apricot flavor-- just a little though.

FiveStar said:
That's how the smaller peppers in a batch of red chinenses I got here in the US looked.

The larger ones looked like this...
DSCN0618.jpg

I asked the produce guy, and he said they were labeled "Carribbean Red Habaneros" by the people they bought them from. They don't look like a habanero pod type (Where's Willard?) I saved seeds from mine. They had a great sweet fruity flavor that wasn't so smokey like Habs tend to be. More sweet and fruity. I Liked them a lot, and they had a great burn.

Let us know what you think of them!

You don't notice smokeyness in Habs? Hmmm.... tastebuds are different for eveyone I guess. As you can tell from the picture, I'm a smoker though, so maybe I detect smokeyness in everything! (Except these peppers?!?!?!):lol::lol::lol::lol:

I too notice smokiness in the red habs and white and most brown "habs" that I've tried. I notice the apricot flavor mostly in nagas/bhuts

They have a nice amount of heat with the burn hitting you at the back of the mouth.

I've saved some seed so they'll get a try out later this year.

stillmanz said:
they look like tiny congo trinidad peppers do they have alot of the sweet chinesis flavour?

From memory they didn't have the flavour you describe, they didn't seem to have much flavour at all.

Back