• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Another fine ebay buy

Narrow thin leaves, small white flowers. Long narrow pepper with a bit or curl, hanging down, slight curling / taco'ing leaves.

Im not surprised it the wrong pepper plant / seeds.. But I'd like to know when to pic/harvest the peppers.

Thanks in advanced for your input!!

IMG_20130718_183809_699_zps29abcb7d.jpg

Ahhhh, interesting... I've rotated it a few time so far. So I imagine the inside if the pepper "bush side" would be green... Until they turn red!

So I'm under the impression its getting to much sun? Would it be a good idea for a little more shade??? Thanks!

Phil said:
I was wondering if they'd go from black to red. That's what my red chilis do. They turn black a day or so before the red sets in.

My annuums generally do that, or at least hit a dark brown phase before turning red (red + green = brown if I remember 3rd grade art class correctly) but my red chineses tend to go from green to orange to red. 

As for the pic he posted of the black ones my jalapenos tend to do that but I attribute it to the sun since the black part faces the sun and stays there for weeks before they turn red. 

Dorkasaurus said:

I know you can pay a lot more but 12 cents a seed is ridiculous imho.  People act like their pepper seeds are diamonds (I guess they are similar...both have artificially inflated prices).

Hmm, how are they artificially inflated? The market for pepper seeds looks free as can be. I know how diamonds are artificially inflated but pepper seeds??? In the defense of good venders, it takes  a lot of work breeding good strains for seeds. The good ones can offer you topnotch strains.

Dulac said:

Hmm, how are they artificially inflated? The market for pepper seeds looks free as can be. I know how diamonds are artificially inflated but pepper seeds??? In the defense of good venders, it takes  a lot of work breeding good strains for seeds. The good ones can offer you topnotch strains.

Well the OP never stated what they were supposed to be so I'm assuming something "rare & exotic" like a bhut jolokia or scorpion or 7 pod.  I don't think there's a real shortage of those seeds.  If I grow one healthy & isolated plant I'll have hundreds of seeds.  One plant.  It's not like farmers are planting hundreds of acres of these peppers (except jolokias I guess, but you can easily buy pounds of seeds to plant acres of them so I wouldn't exactly think they're rare and yet the uninformed still pay as much as twenty cents a seed for them...)

I guess my point is I can buy "ordinary" pepper seeds for two or three cents a seed (in small quantities, I'm guessing price drops considerably when I need ten pounds of them) and the amount of work and time involved in growing bell peppers for seed isn't that much different than growing a scorpion.  With minimal planning if you can grow one you can probably grow the other too.  And unlike diamonds, peppers are a renewable resource.

I still stick by my other comment that instead of playing pepper roulette on ebay you'd have better luck inquiring here.  My scorpion and 7 pod and jolokia seeds grew into scorpions 7 pods and jolokias and I would have sent some to anyone willing to pay postage, and I don't mean ebay shipping and handling style postage I mean the minimum amount to get them mailed out.  I don't even grow a lot of plants but have hundreds of seeds I'll never use that will inevitably get tossed out as I replace them with seeds from the current harvest.  Even without isolation I've only had one instance of a seed from the previous year producing a cross. 

Bells are easier to grow, more people grow them, and they sell much more than a 7 pot whatever. I think the price is high because superhot venders are not growing tons and tons of plants of the same variety. They are probably growing 6 or so of each and different varieties each year. I fail to see what is controlling the superhot seed market causing artificial inflation.

Personally I paid the amount to get ahold of them, I dont know of any local growers. And wasn't aware of this forum til later.

I just knew I wanted to grow my pepper garden with some great conversation starters!!!

They should have been Ghost peppers.... But thats what I get I guess... No harm really done. Lesson to be learned!!

OoReFLuXoO said:
Personally I paid the amount to get ahold of them, I dont know of any local growers. And wasn't aware of this forum til later.

I just knew I wanted to grow my pepper garden with some great conversation starters!!!

They should have been Ghost peppers.... But thats what I get I guess... No harm really done. Lesson to be learned!!
Been there, done that.
Now I get seeds from members or well reviewed vendors.

Except that couple expensive seeds from Fatali, all are at least reasonable from vendors, and damned cheap from members.
Sure, many are O.P., but at least you are reasonaby sure the rare cross will be a hottie and not a Bell.

My cayennes look exactly like that, except slightly bigger though its hard to tell without some reference.  They should be quite hot if you kept those leaves tacoing like that for that past couple months.  Especially after traveling.  Talk about stress.  

But I must say,  I know its late but I only have one red one on the plant right now.  It is in the low, center (shaded) and it definitely turned brownish before red.  Now it's the only bright red one amoungst 40 other greens.  So I would not attribute the brown before red to "sunburn."

Either way,  Cayenne for sure.  You can wait until they are red to eat them, but I learned from THP that you should eat them all the time and then decide for yourself which ripeness best fits your personal taste.  They should be a similar level of heat either way.  So really it comes down to how firm you like them.  You can even let them start to dry on the plant.  Then string'em along your window for entertainment while they dry. 

Back