=[ Another GM Experimental Thread ]=

Mine works great. Just have to be careful to not just dump the sparge water in or the force will raise it up and allow grain under it, which in turn, causes the water to channel around the perimeter.
That's what happened here

What are you thoughts on immersion chillers. Currently just a ton of ice water in sink and it takes about 30 mins to cool. Is that fine or better off with a chiller?

Rapid chilling is good ish ...

Use of an immersion chiller is pretty simple to think through in terms of execution and sanitation ...

The plate chiller is faster, but it's "blind" and you really need a CIP plan to use it safely or whatever ...

Also, plate chillers work better with a recirculatory system and pump, imho ... you "can" gravity feed one, but I think an immersion chiller for small batches is suitable ...

I enjoy using the IC, actually ... I rinse it off before I put it in at the 15 mins left in boil point, and it gets sanitized by the boiling wort, then I rinse it when I'm done and call it a day ...

Easy to execute, easy to reason about, and sugar water, grains, trub, hop debris don't flow inside it where I can't see ...

eadd2c32d9c423e9a83f1639607df12b.jpg

ff98021ee7bb4116a1aeb3d302adcaed.jpg

Looks pretty...what is it?

20% off Northern brewers. Think I should use it or do you thonk better deal comes along for immersion chiller and the igloo mash tun/cooler?

Flow sight-glass or something ...

I can never tell the color of my beer when I'm brewing because the high-temp silicone tubing is opaque, and there's no retro-illumination in the kettle so it always looks dark ...

It happens to solve a real issue, though, as I'll be replacing the hose between my spigot and pump with it, so the pump won't tip over anymore. When the hoses get hot, eventually, they soften and my pump tips - this is rigid.
tctenten said:
20% off Northern brewers. Think I should use it or do you thonk better deal comes along for immersion chiller and the igloo mash tun/cooler?
20% is a good discount ...

tctenten said:
Looks pretty...what is it?

Yeah 20% is pretty good. If you want to save bucks though just buy the bottom and valve and buy the cooler at Hime Depot or Lowes. It really only takes 2 wrenches to install it.
Plus a piece of high temp tubing and 2 hose clamps.

6bdf2a9e9d82578bb8712445abbeac74.jpg

Clearing up ... but def off in the same way as the Kolsch, and the Golden Stout, and the Brett Trois IPA, and the Zythos/Galaxy IPA ...

622fb184837fd36a1fc47daff13db6a9.jpg

Higher alcohols, esters, fruity, fusel-y ...

And there's this smell in the nose, on all of them, that's not in the taste, but it's been there batch-to-batch ...

Meh ...

Looking forward to the next batches, I'll put it that way!

Ozzy2001 said:
Oh that's right, you shocked the yeast on that batch with the fast pitch. What size starter did you use?
800ml pure Fast Pitch (1.100), no water =)

I get bulk primary on a 9% beer done in 3-3.5 days normally, took 8-9 ...

Yup, this both beers in my freezer are getting dumped and I'm getting back to business with a clean slate ...

Hot alcohol, fusel-city ...

Ozzy2001 said:
Damn. That's too bad.

nice and clear now, still not good ...

wanted to be sure it wasn't the yeast still hanging around before i dumped it ... it's not.

freezer didn't keep working either ... no biggie, i'll hold onto it until after the main is switched out Thu, and verify it at that time ...

Back