=[ Another GM Experimental Thread ]=

Going about making some changes to my gear and flow ...

Added a new secondary regulator that'll be here soon, a small SS conical fermenter that'll be easy to clean effectively, I'm going to install lengths of beverage tubing on my picnics, and then I'm going to finally move my connections and bits up from the 24qt kettle to a 44qt kettle in the coming months so I'm never at mash capacity inside, so I can walk away from it the way I was always supposed to be able to ...

Oh, adding a sight-glass to my recirc chain so I can see the fuckin' beer too - forgot that part ;)

I have some free time right now while work is slow, so I'm addressing all of the things that irk the shit out of me about homebrewing ...

The good news - transferred wheebz' ozzy's tripel to a flushed service keg ...

The bad news - transferred too much yeast again ...

Unless I weight my kegs and figure out when to stop the transfer short of getting the yeast too, I'm sure it'll keep happening ...

On the plus side, I did have a full dropper's worth of biofine clear in the bottle of the recipient keg, and the liquid's low 30F's, so I suppose it'll clear rather nicely, and then I can consider another racking down to a 2.5 gallon keg in a week or two (once I've drank a half-dozen glasses) ...

I won't be suffering much, since I'm using a ClearBeer pick-up, and I'll just try harder to stop it RIGHT when I see the transfer liquid's cloudy ...

:shrug:

Yup ...

No biggie ...

e8f5fb078a41d07421ee7340f2e566cf.jpg

Having an OB ...

95b0f4669c036f3cf2b4acc906c0bf10.jpg

I'll taste the beer after some yeast's settled a bit ...

I added more like 8-9oz candi sugar (rest of open one) when I goosed it, as opposed to the 5oz in the recipe, hence the little bit of extra ABV ;)

I'd used 3oz in SV batch, ate 3-5oz between brew sessions, and used the diff of a lb ...

Lots of yeast in jar sample ... like, lots ... didn't detect anything else out of place, though, and def not clove - which I'm sensitive to (and don't care for) ...

Can't really say much else til tomorrow, though, as it's carbonation-free right now, and correspondingly a tiny bit sweet ...

:cheers:

Conical and gear shipped FedEx Home Delivery ... which includes Saturday ... but from California ... no clue when it'll arrive ... but it's coming nonetheless.

Adventures in Homebrewing order that was supposed to arrive this afternoon, with dark LME for a batch tomorrow, is ffuuu'd ... they discarded the shipment completely, as damaged =( ...

I really need to make a decision on a bunch of things. Freezer/bigger pot...my biggest is 5 gallon/basket from Arborfab. I also am contrmplating getting a 5 gallon igloo to make a real mash tun. Just not sure.

tctenten said:
I really need to make a decision on a bunch of things. Freezer/bigger pot...my biggest is 5 gallon/basket from Arborfab. I also am contrmplating getting a 5 gallon igloo to make a real mash tun. Just not sure.

This is pretty nice: http://www.homebrewing.org/10-gal-BIABasKit_p_5118.html

Use it for grains in mash, then use it for hops in the boil thereafter - allowing them plenty of room to do their thing ...

I could brew with that on the stove-top and be pretty happy, I think ... I would get a weldless bulkhead and give it a spigot, though ...

tctenten said:

I can relate to being torn on which way to go with stuff ...

My needs have changed so much over the past year, though ...

Initially I only wanted dark beers ...

Then I wanted only dark beers and DIPA's ...

Then I wanted dark beers, all sizes of shapes of IPA's, and some smaller beers (ESB, Mild, Scottish Ale's) ...

Now, at this point, the only thing I'm sure about - is that I don't want to stand and watch my rig do it's thing for the time it takes being electric ...

I only care that my brew day is long, because my shit's got to be watched because of how 'full' it is with big beers going through it ...

I wouldn't care about the total time length, so long as I could be doing other things during the mash etc ...

The only equipment I use, I already had. I am not looking to do bigger batches than the 2.5/3 gallon. My keg is 2.5 and my carboy is 3. My sparge system is my issue once I get past 8lb grain. I am going to look at a few things but bounce it off you guys for real life opinions.

tctenten said:
The only equipment I use, I already had. I am not looking to do bigger batches than the 2.5/3 gallon. My keg is 2.5 and my carboy is 3. My sparge system is my issue once I get past 8lb grain. I am going to look at a few things but bounce it off you guys for real life opinions.

I have one of these: https://amzn.com/B002BMB8QK

That's what I've planned to setup as an option for mashing inside batches in the future ...

I need to go on Youtube and figure out how people add weldless bulkheads to coolers, though ...

I imagine it's just a certainly size hole drilling, and a weldless bulkhead, but I need to figure it out ...

Satisfied with this, just arrived - https://amzn.com/B01ANDX2RG

It's a bigger version of the small LBMB's from Northern Brewer ...

Come with the strap, has a dual-dial up top for designating the brew date, works the same way with the reservoir etc ...

Stuck my arm right in there and simulated scrubbing it ...

Now I can toss the 5 gal glass carboy with the recycling tomorrow ... woot.

Back