• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Another supermarket chili ID thread

They were listed as Jamaican Hot Peppers.
The orange one is about 3" long and smelled and tasted like a hab. But they're bigger than any i've seen. Any idea what variety it is?

CtownJamaicanHot2.JPG

CtownJamaicanHot.JPG

Or another Chinense from that region that many refer to as Scotch Bonnet and others dismiss it. I'd just call it "Tasty Chinense".

They do look like the jamaican red hot picture on chileman and the packaging does say Jamaican Hot Pepper...

Tasty, but i hate how barely any of them are ripe. All the other packs were all green with a couple starting to transition into orange. I had to dig through the whole display just to find one whole orange one.

still, fresh chinense other than an orange hab in the Tristate is a pretty sweet for $1. I'd have bought about $10 worth.

fineexampl said:
still, fresh chinense other than an orange hab in the Tristate is a pretty sweet for $1. I'd have bought about $10 worth.

Very true. Especially with the hard time i've been having getting even orange habs. Just bought one pack yesterday to see what they were like. I'll be stopping by on my way home from work today to clean them out.

that many for 1$? I can only get 2 red savinas for 2$ :( it's not fair. I think from the size of those they would make great poppers, if you like your poppers really hot. mmmm poppers...

Anyone from Utah.....I am looking to purchase some peppers, until I can get my growing box made and start harvesting them myself. Are there warm weather states that will sell and ship these beauties?

MOJO said:
Anyone from Utah.....I am looking to purchase some peppers, until I can get my growing box made and start harvesting them myself. Are there warm weather states that will sell and ship these beauties?

Chileplants.com

You can order now but they won't ship till spring. Never ordered from them was just looking at them until i decided to grow my own from seed.

MOJO said:

They don't carry habaneros in grocery stores in Utah? :shocked:

UnNatural said:
Very true. Especially with the hard time i've been having getting even orange habs. Just bought one pack yesterday to see what they were like. I'll be stopping by on my way home from work today to clean them out.
I'm surprised you have that hard of a time. I would definitely check Whole Foods. They're pretty reliable for fresh chiles even in the cruelest months. NYC has some of the best produce i've ever seen. You should be able to find tons. I'd make friends with the produce managers in your area and barter a deal. You're out by Bayside than i take it from the label? Let me buzz a friend and i will get back to you. I have a buddy who drives a bus in BKLN who knows the places to find things.

fineexampl said:
I'm surprised you have that hard of a time. I would definitely check Whole Foods. They're pretty reliable for fresh chiles even in the cruelest months. NYC has some of the best produce i've ever seen. You should be able to find tons. I'd make friends with the produce managers in your area and barter a deal. You're out by Bayside than i take it from the label? Let me buzz a friend and i will get back to you. I have a buddy who drives a bus in BKLN who knows the places to find things.

I guess hard time wouldn't be the right word. Just inconvenient, i work loong days so i don't really have time to go anywhere except fairway (which hasn't had habs for 2 weeks) right by my office and the 2 supermarkets right by home in bayside.

I'd definitely appreciate any locations you can get from your friend. This way on my day off at least i'll know exactly where to go instead of roaming around looking.

BTW. Your "Triple Kick!" is in the mail.

Those look nice...

As it's snowing like a muther here, and has been for some time (record snowfalls), I'm jealous.

I still can get these though:

S6302158.JPG

Fairway finally got a new shipment today so i bought 3 lbs! 1 lb going straight to the freezer, 1's getting dried and powdered and the remainder will be sauced and/or used for cooking.
yess.jpg

munchzilla said:
that many for 1$? I can only get 2 red savinas for 2$ :( it's not fair. I think from the size of those they would make great poppers, if you like your poppers really hot. mmmm poppers...

I feel for ya, you & uUu both tell us the prices you swede's have to pay. it might be because of the cost it is to grow them there.
I'm sure you don't want to hear this but I bought 12 pounds of basic habaneros w/some caribbean reds for $25, last summer :cool:

munchzilla said:

Wowzers, a buck a pop. I feel for ya buddy. Those 3 lbs were $27 and i thought that was expensive. Never taking habaneros for granted again!

UnNatural said:
Wowzers, a buck a pop. I feel for ya buddy. Those 3 lbs were $27 and i thought that was expensive. Never taking habaneros for granted again!

Holy crap dude $9 a lb is highway robbery. They do look really fresh though, judging by the stem color. But damn. :shocked:

Back