• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ant Farm?

I lifted up one of my pots that holds more moisture below it and look what i found. It looks like larvae but i really cant tell

IMG_4985.jpg

IMG_4986.jpg

IMG_4987.jpg

IMG_4988.jpg

Babies!!

I've got nothing against ants and don't know much about them. I do doubt very much that they could be any good for the plants though. Have any of them worked their way up into the plant itself? Or were they just living under it?

I would personally nuke those ants. Ants just love to use your precious plants to support aphids which the ants then "milk" to gain food.

Kill the ants dead.

well i moved all my pots and now its raining so hard i cant go outside so theyre probably all gone, but i notice ants on my plants walkin around even in the flowers pretty often but i really dont have any bug damage to my plants so i dunno ha, it was just a crazy surprise, its happened once before too

If you have ants pacing around your plants there is but one reason, they are placing tiny little baby aphids on them. True story.

hmmm, whats some good preventative measures? cause i keep a close eye and i havent spotted any but i dont want any to show up either ha.

Novacastrian said:
If you have ants pacing around your plants there is but one reason, they are placing tiny little baby aphids on them. True story.

Thanks nova. Now I know where all the aphids are coming from on my plants. My yard is loaded with ants.

Ask PETA for an ant catcher.

ha im down for toastin the little buggers i just wanna make sure i wipe out any aphids they carried in and not burn up my plants in the process

One can purchase ant poison. They eat the stuff then carry it down to the nest and hopefully the queen.

As for the aphids get yourself some Neem oil or a flame thrower.

will neem oil kill ants too? cause like i said i havent noticed any aphids just the ants but if it kills aphids im sure it will keep them from making it their home if i use it to wipe out hte ants ha late nights and no punctuation i hope that made sense

man we had to go and use the A word didnt we
i tried not to say it out loud so it wouldnt happen

but sure enough i go outside this morning,
and not only do i find my ant farm back under that cup (which i grinded up with my shoe haha die little buggers)
but i found aphids on one of my golden nugget plants

i moved everything off the table and sprayed the table down with this tea i made to fend of rabbits (garlic chili cayenne brewed in water then a dash of soap added, it smells horrible ha) then i sprayed the one plant down with it too.

i really dont want to spend 16 dollars on a bottle of spray for aphids and the garden store right down the street doesnt carry neem oil.

is that usually carried in stores or would i have to order it?

and i realize that part of my problem is putting plastic pots on a wooden table...ah well im sure not putting them on the ground for the rabbits.

Novacastrian said:
Try your local pool store, they carry it as it is used in swimming pool filters.

That would be OK for spreading under the pots, but I would recommend "food grade" DE if you plan on dusting a crop with it.

If you have a local grain elevator or feed store that makes their own feed you might check with them. Many grain elevators/silos mix some DE with the grain to control insects and since it can't all be filtered out most flour and cornmeal you buy in the store contains some DE; therefore, they must use food grade.

Back