misc Anti caking? Powders and spices

I have been making some spice mixes and was wondering what you guys use to stop it from "caking". They are fine for awhile but then after a few months they do get clumpy. I want to keep it as natural as possible. I have seen that some agents that are natural,what do you use ?

Wow...:shocked: Guess I'll be giving some away as 5 lbs is way too much for me to be able to use up in 2 years. :lol:

I was really hoping that I was going to receive a phone call from a represenative to duscuss their company and products, that way I could admend the 5 lbs to 1 lbs. Oh, well...do you want some THP?

There is something sketchy about it. It says it is "Patented Silica" which is sand. Organic, yes. But still sand. It says on labels you can call it "Rice Concentrate" so I guess it is some rice/sand thing?

Read the specs here: http://www.ribus.com/Nu-FLOW_product_spec.pdf

I'm going to go for potato starch.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around that they are using sand. Here is what they are saying it is made from "Made from certified organic vegetation that contains silica" this leads me to beleive that silica must also be present in rice. Right?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_silica
"The chemical compound silicon dioxide, also known as silica or silox (from the Latin "silex"), is the oxide of silicon, chemical formula SiO2, and has been known for its hardness since the 9th century. Silica is most commonly found in nature as sand or quartz. It is a principal component of most types of glass and substances such as concrete."

It's commonly used as an anti-caking agent, see my first reply in this thread. I thought this was an alternative, seems it's just a scam.

thehotpepper.com said:
Silica is found in plants sure, but it's sand.

But, are they refering to the sand type or the dietary type? Silica (also known as silicon) is an important mineral for our bodies and bones. Some people take silica supplements. Here take a look:
http://www.diet-and-health.net/Supplements/Silicon.html

I am still having a hard time wrapping my brain around that Rice grows the same silica that is found in sand or quartz. Thats like saying gold can be grown from another vegetable or grain.

Yes it is sand lol.

I'm not putting it in my rubs but people have been doing it for ages. Nu-FLOW is nothing new. Another silicon dioxide.

Roots absorb silica and use it to strengthen the plant.

"Secondary walls - especially in grasses - may also contain microscopic silica crystals, which may strengthen the wall and protect it from herbivores."

Science lesson over :lol:

Now google yourself. It's sand, yes. :)

Yes, I know it's in some supplements, but how much sand do you want in your diet... or your rubs? :lol:

I'm not sure, the 5 lbs bag being sent out to me at the moment was free.

What about corn starch? I know that it is used in powdered sugar as an anti caking agent and it is easy to find.

I don't know. Try it. I'll experiment with the potato starch soon.

Basically the Nu-FLOW is organic because it is not synthetic. Silica's been used for many years for anti-caking but labs figured out how to synthesize it so it's not natural or organic. Basically both are the same. One is made in a lab, one in nature. I don't want either in my rubs. You notice they hide this and make this info hard to find. You think it's a rice product when it really is not. It's silica that is found in the ground and many plants, and they chose rice because it sounds good. Very scammy.

By the way, pick up a rub in the supermarket that has silicon dioxide in it, put some in your hand, and go out in the sun. Notice the little pieces that look like glass. I have done this.

Well, I just got my 5 lbs of Nu-Flow and along with it they sent me the Product Specification sheet along with Material Safety Data. Yes, the Product Specifications are the same as online, but the Material Data sheet gives a better idea what this product is and after reading it I think we might have been mistaken with thinking the terminology "Patented Silica" was meaning sand. Here is what I've learned from the Material Safety Data:

1. Product Identification: Synonym- Rice Concentrate, Chemical name-NA, Chemical Formula-NA (keep in mind that the chemical formula for silica or sand is Si and silicone Dioxide is SiO2

2. Ingredients: rice hulls

So, I'm thinking that this product seems pretty safe, other than you wouldn't want to huff this very fine powder. :lol:

Guess I'm back on the fence. I mean how bad can simple rice hulls be? :rolleyes:

Hmm all very interesting. I had a rep contact me but on the answering machine. I tried ringing back but it is disconnected, must have got the wrong number. I will try and get in contact them again.
Thanks salsalady I would appreciate it if you could send some. I'll let you know how I go.
THP how come you aren't going to try out the potato starch for a few months? Are you not ordering it till then?

the rice that I ground up and put into my spice mix that was already clumping didn't seem to do anything. Perhaps you have to do it before or perhaps I didn't put enough in.

I think it is easier though just to buy a big bag of whatever though.

Ok got hold of the rep in Aus, he said it is basically a rice bran extract. They have an organic version and their new product will be non organic and half the price. If it is organis or not it doesn't really bother me but I did want it to be natural which he assures me it is. So will be getting a sample hopefully next week.

They are extracting silica from rice hulls. They can say it's a rice product because the silica is from the hull.

Here's some info from wiki:
"Rice hulls are the coating for the seeds, or grains, of the rice plant. To protect the seed during the growing season, the hull is made of hard materials, including opaline silica and lignin. The hull is mostly indigestible to humans. During the milling process, the hulls are removed from the grain to create brown rice, the brown rice is then milled further to remove the bran layer to become white rice. The very high content in amorphous silica of the hulls confer to them and to their ash (SiO2 ~ 20 wt.%) after combustion very valuable properties."

Yes it is natural but I am looking at other options. This is nothing new! Silica and silicon dioxide have been used for years. It works so you should have no problem with this product. I don't really like it in rubs so I'm looking at other options that are actual food products.

Back