misc Anti caking? Powders and spices

I have been making some spice mixes and was wondering what you guys use to stop it from "caking". They are fine for awhile but then after a few months they do get clumpy. I want to keep it as natural as possible. I have seen that some agents that are natural,what do you use ?

Now why would you go and say I can keep my sand? :lol: Especially since the PM I just sent you. I have however remained open for alternatives as I have been looking at Potato and Corn starches today. Zeeesh.... :lol:

Ok another idea since all these anti caking agents are so confusing, how about I don't put any in and just tell my customers that due to not having all this synthetic stuff and to make it healthier for you just make sure you shake the bottle before use to loosen it all.
If you guys were to buy some would you be happy with that or do you think I should still look at the anti caking agents?

Cool, I think I will probably go with that option then.

I did try an experiment yesterday that seemed to work but can't find any info on it being an anti caking agent. I mixed in some guar gum because on the packet it said that it is a stabiliser & emulsifier. I thought that maybe somehow it might work as an anti caking agent. I know it is used to thicken sauces and replace gluten etc but it seems to have worked in my spice.
Anyone have any info that could support that? As far as I know it is a natural as it is just a vegetable gum.

Wildfire,
Guar is a thickener and I'm guessing it will lump worse than anything if any moisture gets into the spices. Even something as simple as shaking the jar over a steaming pot could be enough to lump it up.

The whole principle of the other anti-cakers is that they ABSORB and HOLD a significant amount of moisture.

jmho~

I like that wording for the label-
"additive free, please shake prior to use"

I found this topic, and see there are some questions about NU FLOW. I use it in my spice mixes and it works great. Sorry for adding to a long gone topic. However I figured I would drop my .02 for those who are interested. I use it in my curry powders, rubs etc. You cannot see it in the spices, and I live in a high humidity area in the summer (Michigan).

I just received my free sample of Nu-Flow and found it to be an extremely fine powder that should work fantastic for it's purpose.  It is a natural rice husk that has been powdered and helps with any caking issues.  I'm using the following ratios based on recommendations of only using 1-3% of the product volume.  (I've taken the liberty of posting both my rounded (easier to measure with my equipment) amounts to the actual (if you have that detailed of gear) amounts.

Recommended usage for dehydrated Powders is 1-3%

Dry Product    Nu-Flow (Rounded for ease of Measurement)
Nu-Flow @ ~1%    (0.2835 grams per Oz of Product)
1 oz =         0.25 grams    (Actual: 0.2835 grams)
2 oz =         0.50 grams    (Actual: 0.5670 grams)

Nu-Flow @ ~2%    (0.5670 grams per Oz of Product)
1 oz =         0.50 grams    (Actual: 0.5670 grams)
2 oz =         1.25 grams    (Actual: 1.1340 grams)

Nu-Flow @ ~3%    (0.8505 grams per Oz of Product)
1 oz =         0.75 grams    (Actual: 0.8505 grams)
2 oz =         1.75 grams    (Actual: 1.7010 grams)

Back