• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Any cellphone geeks in the room?

I got a cell with a freakin' poltergeist living in it.

It started at some point yesterday. Was working fine in the morning, didn't pick it up for a number of hours, and when I did I found that my text, email, several apps of several kinds (including Chrome and Amazon) either partially open then shut down the second I tap a link, or start/stop by themselves. I haven't installed any new apps in months until this afternoon, looking for a system scan that might find my gremlin--por nada...

The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S6, whatever year they came out, so in todays terms a museum piece. It began restarting by itself about a year ago at inconvenient times, but nothing like this until now. The phone still works, and a few social apps, but no text, no email. It lets me see contacts and the list of conversations, but they shut down the instant I try to use one.

Do I perhaps have a rogue app doing all of this?

Maybe hacked? Though I got nothing to offer a hacker...

Just an "old" phone going through the death throes?

I'm not one of those guys who has to have every latest upgrade or keep up with the schnook next door, and I have taken "pretty" good care of this one. I'm pretty darn sure I don't want to have to replace it, we've had nightmare scenarios with other phone/service changes this last year, not interested in any more of that...

...I could just dump the whole thing and be closer to grid-free, but business depends on the phone part, and being as that still works for now, maybe the rest are just addictions I need to eliminate anyway...

If any of you know the phone fairy, kindly put in a good word for me, eh?

When u go to settings then apps do u see the android system webview?

Idk about S6 but maybe there will be an option to uninstall the updates.

Here's what mine shows. There are 3 dots in top right corner that when I click them, uninstal updates drops down.

If nothing else, u can probably find something specific for a S6 on YouTube etc that explains wat to do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210323-183356_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20210323-183356_Settings.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 114
Glad I read this.

I just got a new phone last week and yesterday some of the apps started crashing when they were being opened.

I was getting ready to go back to the shop and getting them to replace the new phone.

I didn't uninstall anything, I just went to play store and updated everything that said needed an update.

All working fine now.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Yea I was freaking out yesterday when my email wouldn't open nor would Google!!!

I just updated crome and webview...restarted phone and wala!! Whew!!!!

Still having trouble, but I initiated a non google text messenger, which imported conversations and doesn't shut down. That'll keep me for now.

Sknxvll, after a lot of hunting I found the android webview--which was also disabled, along with google and chrome. Not sure what that means, but I'm too single-synapsed for this kind of stuff.

Mebbe tomorrow...

I appreciate everyone's input. Apparently millions of android phones went futz on Monday. My wife suggested uninstalling all my apps, being as almost all of them were continually shutting themselves down, but I explained that it wasn't the phone apps, it was a lazy tech at goofgle (sic). We did track down android webview in a hidden (from me) list in the app manager called "system apps". Lo & behold, webview, google, chrome, my text, email, even duck duck go were all disabled with no live button to "re" enable them.

At that point I put the phone down, plugged in the chrging wire, and went to bed....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

And woke up to a perfectly operating phone, everything working, no more shut downs. Those sneaky bastiges snuck into my house and FIXED IT!!

So I still got no reason to replace what ain't broke... :whistle:

I have a Oneplus Nord and the same thing happened to me. I almost threw the damn thing out the nearest window.  I didn't do anything but now it seems everything is back to normal.

Nulle said:
I have a Oneplus Nord and the same thing happened to me. I almost threw the damn thing out the nearest window.  I didn't do anything but now it seems everything is back to normal.

I was right, there IS a phone fairy!!  :arrow:  :arrow:  :metal:

Got a new phone and can not log in on THP with it. Hade 4 phones since Ive been a member every other was no problem, Have no idea but im also thinking about tossing the phone. Theyn have got out of control and evil.

sicman said:
Got a new phone and can not log in on THP with it. Hade 4 phones since Ive been a member every other was no problem, Have no idea but im also thinking about tossing the phone. Theyn have got out of control and evil.

They have so much monitoring and reporting and tracking software in them it surprises me that they function otherwise at all.

I'm glad I read this thread.  My wife had these issues yesterday and was freaked out.  I had her read this and she was able to resolve her problems.  

sicman said:
Hey siccy, what browser are u trying to open THP with? And can u click an option, usually from 3 vertical dots, for desktop site? Idk much...but that's how I use this on chrome :/

stettoman said:

They have so much monitoring and reporting and tracking software in them it surprises me that they function otherwise at all.
its scary!!!!!

sknxvll said:
Hey siccy, what browser are u trying to open THP with? And can u click an option, usually from 3 vertical dots, for desktop site? Idk much...but that's how I use this on chrome :/
All of them, just wont work.

I was wondering if it had something to do with the Android version? I'm using v11. What are you guys using?

I seriously wish there was a "semi" smart phone out there.  Something that would do text and internet, but NO other apps.

I always buy refurbished, outdated, unlocked phones, just to get performance upgrades and storage, but I don't install apps. (or at least, as few as possible)

Truthfully, since I've no need for Tinder or Facebook in my life, I could just as easily manage with something that more closely resembles an old school phone, but with specific enhancements (as stated).

Back