• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Any Chilli Farmers Out There?

Hi

I live in Spain and am in the early stages of setting up a small chilli farm.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice they would like to share with me?

My first question really was do I plant in my field or would a polytunnel be best? I would like all year round availabiltiy if possible.

The summers get hot here, winters are frost free and we get a downpour of rain that lasts two weeks each winter.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post
Tori

My advice would be to send all chillis to me. ;)

Seriously though, there are folks here who'd know these things.

Best of luck and welcome to THP!

~Q

A polytunnel will get very hot so you'll want to consider air circulation and shading if you decide to go that route.

yes my cousin has 3 poly tunnels and his biggest problem has been air circulation and aphids..he puts netting on a number of plants for the aphids and has bought a nice air circulation unit for each tunnel.

he just said buy lots of water butts and put tham as close to the tunnels as possible..you never no when your water supply may dry up and in spain well..as much water spare must be an essential.:)

I would suggest that you keep it simple and try a year outside.
polytunnels or what I call greenhouses are not cheap and can get real hot in summer and to keep them cool you have to use shad cloth $$$ and water alot$$$
peppers like hot outside weather and you also get less aphids outside as there are more bugs that are safe to peppers that eat aphids outside.
spend your money on water tanks and ways to collect water and leave the tunnels till last if you even need them..

Thread moved. That chili forum is for chili the meal.

Back