• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

any cigarette rollers out there?

I was given a cigarette machine for Christmas, and I plan on rolling my own to save money. Anybody else out there roll their own? Favorite tobacco brand? I'm looking for something with a taste similar to camel filters. And input helps!

i do way easy way to save moneys. Top is a really good tobacco, American spirit good tobacco. both are cigarette cut, but here in MN they cost an arm and a leg i use bouy natural seems to be a good tobacco so far that i have found, but is Pipe cut not as fine but with a good machine it packs and rolls well.

Kevin

When I smoked there were several injector kits for filter smokes.
Most ripped more tubes than they rolled and it took a pretty long time to figure out what amount of tobacco to fill the machine with.
Fresh Tobacco was different than one from an open pack.
Putting an apple slice in the can of tobacco helped to keep it fresher.

When I was a kid some one I knew rolled their own.
They had a machine with a hopper for Tobacco and you just turned a crank to roll your smokes.
Never seen another machine like it since then.
As a kid,I liked turning the crank.
He had hard packs to put the smokes in.
Rolled a carton at a time.
I think it rolled both filters and non filters.

He rolled his own when cartons hit $.75 or so a carton.

When I started smoking cartons were under $2.00.

I quit when packs were around $3.00.
A carton was about $1.75 in the 70's,and that was at the Grand Canyon,90 miles from anywhere.
Probably a lot cheaper in Flag.

Top was $.10 - $.15 a pouch.
Had to put it in a Tobacco pouch with an apple slice or it turned to dry powder REAL fast.
Coffee cans of it were under $3.00.
Pouch made a pack,can made a carton of smokes.
Top was a lot like Camels.
Used Larado injector machine for filter smokes.
It seems there were 3 or 4 popular machines for injectors back then.
SOME actually worked pretty good.
Larado one took time to learn how to use it.
ALL wasted tubes,no matter how good you were at feeding them and the speed you pushed the injector down.
Dryer Tobacco ripped papers.
Smoked a LOT of homemade smokes that had pinholes in them,were short or whatever.
I heard the electric ones worked better.
They were pricey though.

Another thing,YOU HAVE to keep home rolls in the fridge if you roll more than a pack at a time or they got stale fast-REAL fast.
I think the stuff they put in store bought smokes combined with the cello wrapper makes a big difference.

I found since the tube machines were a hassle,IF you rolled,and everything was going all right,roll the whole can.
It'll be dryer or whatever next time,you'll waste tubes learning what amount of tobacco to use at another time.
If you are on a roll,(LOL),keep going till the can is empty.
Always have more tubes around than you have Tobacco for.

Maybe injectors have improved,I doubt it.
People will buy anything with the price of smokes these days.

It's kinda like when I started reloading Ammo.
The stuff with all the bells and whistles only saves labor,doesn't put out better ammo.
Went back to my Rock Chucker single stage.

PS. FRESH,moist Tobacco doesn't rip papers but too damp makes the end of the tube rip out of the injector.
As I said,there is a learning curve.
Open a fresh can and roll it up.
The machines are designed for fresh out of the can or pouch stuff.

I've only injected a couple tubes so far, but it seems to work fairly well. It's the same model a coworker uses, and he swears by it. I've got a bag of pipe tobacco that came with it, and it seems to roll very easily. I was told to go with pipe tobacco as opposed to cigarette because it works out to be cheaper that way.

And pricey. I have a few friends that roll their own, so I'll have to see if they will let me try some of theirs.
Any rollers grow their own tobacco?

When I was a smoker,  the last five years I rolled my own I went to a tobacoo shop and got imported Turkish and some blended tobacco like American Spirit only in bulk it cost about 2.00 a carton, but it tasted better than any on the market.  You can buy some very good rollers or you can use a cheap push slide type which takes some time to get a pack rolled. You can get a humador or a zip lock bag, for your extra rolled smokes and keep your tobacco in the frig. Talking to the Tobacco guys in the shop will give you the best way to go with it. I also added a small amount of some spicy pipe tobacco which really made it taste good. you can buy a pricy pack of good imported English or pure Turkish,  thn blend your own to match what taste best to you. 
By rolling your own you will get away from tobacco that has been treated with chemicals that will make the tobacco burn faster and hotter. You have to remember that cutting out some of the chemicals that the companies put in it doesn't make it any safer to smoke, in the long run its still very unhealthy.

I can sympathize with wanting to save money. That was one damn expensive habit. When I started smoking it was just about a dollar a pack. When I quit, Marlboro cost almost $5.00. That was 6 years ago or so. I think they cost more now.

I can't help you with the machine. We have a guy at work that uses one, but he isn't very good and wastes a bunch.

A couple of guys here have been dabbling in that water vapor smoking too. I don't know anything about that either, but it does seem to be cheaper.

I smoke a cig every now and then and prefer additive free tobacco brands. Chesterfield blue ("just tobacco and water" logo down here) is pretty nice and smoother than AS to me.

Cya

Datil

Back