• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Any experience with these varieties

I'm sure I'm not unique in that I've acquired or will soon acquire more varieties from THP members than I'm able to grow this year. The one's below I'm on the fence about for different reasons (mostly, space), even after watching pod reviews and doing general searches. I probably have room for 5 more from the list. Appreciate any experience you can share on these, pics of your pods would be great. In general, these seem to be the heat and taste profile I'm after.

Aji Mango (PL)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
Bonda Mahala (Created by Spicegeist)
Carbonero
Elysium Oxide Bonnet Mustard
Habanero Hot Lemon
Habanero Orange Blob
MA Daisy Cutter Yellow
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama Yellow
Scotch Bonnet MA Peach
Scotch Bonnet Tobago Yellow
Sugar Rush Peach
White Bhut (PL)
White Fatalii (PL)

I am growing the Indian Carbon for the first time this year.  It looks really mean and I can't wait to see how they turn out.  I've heard some pretty good things about the daisy cutter and that it is an absolute ripper.  If the sugar rush peach is any thing similar to the regular sugar rush I'm sure it will taste absolutely delicious.  There are some varieties on that list that I have never even heard of. 

Best of luck

It's actually Orange Blob, without Habanero. Made that mistake back then when I named it. It grows low, wide and very bushy. Hairs on the stem, crunchy, earthy flavor.
orangeblob1.jpg

eobmus1.jpg

Has the flavor of an Scotch Bonnet. Sweet and fruity taste.

I have no personal experience with any of those but have tried other white Fatalii chillies. Apparently they were most unusual among Fatalii and so they may not be wholely representative of the ones from pepper lover but they had an interesting, almost clotted cream like flavour I've never tasted before in a chilli, aswell as hab like levels of heat that stuck in the front of the throat (not the back) and kept going up whenever I tried to swallow. Not sure what to do with the peppers when next I see them but the placentas made the best cider vinegar infusion for vinigrettes.
Aji Mango I have seen several people give feedback on and, while no two people got the same fruit from their plants (suggesting instability), the flavour and heat were pretty consistent, tasting much like your average yellow and fruity Aji but with more perfume-like notes, much like the ones that many mango flavoured products have but not necessarily like actual mango.

I grew the White Fatalii(PL) in 2015. They are small, productive plants. The White Fatalii(PL) was my second most productive Chinense variety this year. It is also one of only 3 of my Chinense varieties that are still producing pods in January. The pods have a light, clean Chinense flavor with some very slight lemony notes. No floralness, bitterness, or other "off" flavors to it. Heat seemed to be about Habanero level (hotter than an orange but less than a chocolate hab IMO), with not as strong a burn as the Yellow Fatalii. Pods are also smaller than the Yellow Fatalii.  I think it is a nice variety that is well worth growing, even though I wouldn't rate the flavor quite as highly as say, the yellow MoA Scotch Bonnet. But that is just personal preference. On the other hand it did out-produce my (much larger) yellow MoA plant by quite a wide margin. 

The Carbonero is the Carbon Bhut 7 Pot (Yellow) you (will have, unless the PO screws up), but then crossed with an Orange Habanero- a 3-way cross. Thus… Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon x 7 Pot Yellow x Orange Habanero. They aren’t by any means ‘hot’ (eating a whole one is no problem-o), but are loved by all for their delicious flavor and gnarly/twisted looks (never read or seen in a video saying anything negative about them- only praises). They actually are 'fruity'- not just a term thrown around haphazardly. I know many on the forum have tasted them and can affirm the same! :P My photos are grouped with other pods I think, so not the best examples IMO... would have to find them. I have a number of pics that are not mine- so I wouldn’t post them publicly. I could pm them if you want(?)

And I just commented yesterday about the Orange Daisycutter, here is what I wrote (just switching from Orange to Yellow). “Daisycutter's (named after the Vietnam era fire bomb) are a natural variant that was discovered/developed out by Matthew Arthur (MA) that was among some 7 Pot Jonah plants (thus not a cross). Original red, then yellow & orange coloration's arose.” Pods are nowhere even nearing the heat of a 7 Pot Jonah (Red), but being more mild and also exhibiting a 'tropical/fruity' experience. I did not detect any of the 'floral' taste that can...and many times does... come along with many of the 7 Pot varieties.

I am really debating with myself to grow both of these this year- just don't have enough space (space used up by superhots), if I had the space... I'd plant multiples of each!

Aji Mango's I'd like to know more about too, as they are on my want list... how much different are they from the Lemon Drop's/Pineapples(?) An actual mango taste, or more describing the color?, etc..

so, of the ones you have listed, my experience is with the following: bhut jolokia indian carbon, hot lemon and food rama scotch bonnet. you can find pic on the my photobucket.

my b/j indian carbon looked nothing like yates, but my growing conditions are nothing like his. my plants(pepperlover seed) didn't produce big yields but produced pods that you could consider as a bhut product. they were hot, taste was bhut but.... i would grow dorset naga and bombay morich over the carbon wtih focus on dorset.

hot lemon, mine were from burpbee. the plants grew tall, really tall and took a long time to mature. many pods would rot before maturing. of the mature pods, they had baccatum flavour with the expressed taste of lemon bursting in your mouth. i would grow them again. the powder i made from them was great.

my foodrama scotch bonnet were from peppermania and produced okay pods. the flavour and shape of the pods was okay but i am sure MOA would be far superior. peppermania's original jamaican was much better in both flavour and shape. but again if you can get MOA, go for it. of the several yellow scotch bonnet i have, i would grow foodrama again.

good luck with your grow.

Alchymystic said:
Aji Mango's I'd like to know more about too, as they are on my want list... how much different are they from the Lemon Drop's/Pineapples(?) An actual mango taste, or more describing the color?, etc..

Everything I have heard from those who have grown them suggests that, while it describes the colour, it does also describe the flavour a little, in that there are definite perfume hints strongly resembling those found in mango flavouring. Noone has said it actually tastes of fresh mango or a good hotsauce made therefrom though.
Other than that and the inconsistency in plant/pod appearances, they are apparently not dissimilar from said Lemon Drops and Pineapples.

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. I'll probably try to find a way to just grow them all  :onfire:

t0mato said:
I am growing the Indian Carbon for the first time this year.  It looks really mean and I can't wait to see how they turn out.  I've heard some pretty good things about the daisy cutter and that it is an absolute ripper.  If the sugar rush peach is any thing similar to the regular sugar rush I'm sure it will taste absolutely delicious.  There are some varieties on that list that I have never even heard of. 

Best of luck
My buddy is looking for Indian Carbon so I will start one for him and get some pods that way. Thanks for intel on the other 2, probably will get at least one of those going.

meatfreak said:
It's actually Orange Blob, without Habanero. Made that mistake back then when I named it. It grows low, wide and very bushy. Hairs on the stem, crunchy, earthy flavor.

Appreciate the correction. I made the mistake of listing these 2 as possible grows. They're actually on my definite grow list, especially EOB Mustard

spicefreak said:
I have no personal experience with any of those but have tried other white Fatalii chillies. Apparently they were most unusual among Fatalii and so they may not be wholely representative of the ones from pepper lover but they had an interesting, almost clotted cream like flavour I've never tasted before in a chilli, aswell as hab like levels of heat that stuck in the front of the throat (not the back) and kept going up whenever I tried to swallow. Not sure what to do with the peppers when next I see them but the placentas made the best cider vinegar infusion for vinigrettes.
Aji Mango I have seen several people give feedback on and, while no two people got the same fruit from their plants (suggesting instability), the flavour and heat were pretty consistent, tasting much like your average yellow and fruity Aji but with more perfume-like notes, much like the ones that many mango flavoured products have but not necessarily like actual mango.
The White Fatalii would be from PL. Very tempting to get one going considering it will be a tiny plant that won't take up much space. The cider vinaigrette sounds delicious! Gotta have at least one Aji so Mango might make the cut this year.

Noah Yates said:
Ive grown bhut jolokia indian carbon for a few years now... it can be extremely gnarly.
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing those!! I suppose it's one of your favorites since you keep bringing it back year after year.

BlackFatalii said:
I grew the White Fatalii(PL) in 2015. They are small, productive plants. The White Fatalii(PL) was my second most productive Chinense variety this year. It is also one of only 3 of my Chinense varieties that are still producing pods in January. The pods have a light, clean Chinense flavor with some very slight lemony notes. No floralness, bitterness, or other "off" flavors to it. Heat seemed to be about Habanero level (hotter than an orange but less than a chocolate hab IMO), with not as strong a burn as the Yellow Fatalii. Pods are also smaller than the Yellow Fatalii.  I think it is a nice variety that is well worth growing, even though I wouldn't rate the flavor quite as highly as say, the yellow MoA Scotch Bonnet. But that is just personal preference. On the other hand it did out-produce my (much larger) yellow MoA plant by quite a wide margin. 
Great run-down. They're so tiny, how can I not have room for at least one, right?

Alchymystic said:
The Carbonero is the Carbon Bhut 7 Pot (Yellow) you (will have, unless the PO screws up), but then crossed with an Orange Habanero- a 3-way cross. Thus Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon x 7 Pot Yellow x Orange Habanero. They arent by any means hot (eating a whole one is no problem-o), but are loved by all for their delicious flavor and gnarly/twisted looks (never read or seen in a video saying anything negative about them- only praises). They actually are 'fruity'- not just a term thrown around haphazardly. I know many on the forum have tasted them and can affirm the same! :P My photos are grouped with other pods I think, so not the best examples IMO... would have to find them. I have a number of pics that are not mine- so I wouldnt post them publicly. I could pm them if you want(?)

And I just commented yesterday about the Orange Daisycutter, here is what I wrote (just switching from Orange to Yellow). Daisycutter's (named after the Vietnam era fire bomb) are a natural variant that was discovered/developed out by Matthew Arthur (MA) that was among some 7 Pot Jonah plants (thus not a cross). Original red, then yellow & orange coloration's arose. Pods are nowhere even nearing the heat of a 7 Pot Jonah (Red), but being more mild and also exhibiting a 'tropical/fruity' experience. I did not detect any of the 'floral' taste that can...and many times does... come along with many of the 7 Pot varieties.

I am really debating with myself to grow both of these this year- just don't have enough space (space used up by superhots), if I had the space... I'd plant multiples of each!

Realized some on my list above are already slotted for definite grows. I think you know how I feel about these EOBs and there's at least 2 others from you that will meet the germination chamber immediately. The descriptions you gave are excellent. Really wish I could get them all going but there's always next year.

Burning Colon said:
so, of the ones you have listed, my experience is with the following: bhut jolokia indian carbon, hot lemon and food rama scotch bonnet. you can find pic on the my photobucket.

my b/j indian carbon looked nothing like yates, but my growing conditions are nothing like his. my plants(pepperlover seed) didn't produce big yields but produced pods that you could consider as a bhut product. they were hot, taste was bhut but.... i would grow dorset naga and bombay morich over the carbon wtih focus on dorset.

hot lemon, mine were from burpbee. the plants grew tall, really tall and took a long time to mature. many pods would rot before maturing. of the mature pods, they had baccatum flavour with the expressed taste of lemon bursting in your mouth. i would grow them again. the powder i made from them was great.

my foodrama scotch bonnet were from peppermania and produced okay pods. the flavour and shape of the pods was okay but i am sure MOA would be far superior. peppermania's original jamaican was much better in both flavour and shape. but again if you can get MOA, go for it. of the several yellow scotch bonnet i have, i would grow foodrama again.

good luck with your grow.

That's incredibly helpful. I assume the same on MOA being superior so will have 2-3 of those this year. One will be from my own seed stock and the other from another THP member. Want to see if one is more productive than the other, pretty certain both will grow true.

I grew White Fatalii(PL) last year. The pod flavor reminded me a lot of Aji Pineapple, but maybe slightly hotter. It didn't taste like Chinense at all.  I grew it in a 3 gallon pot. It was small, but very productive, was able to get several isolated pods for seed saving.

Here's a pic of some I picked last year.

t1olOOHl.jpg

Genetikx said:
  Great run-down. They're so tiny, how can I not have room for at least one, right?

Well, I don't know that I would call the White Fatalii plants tiny. I know Judy's description says they only get 8 inches tall. My plants grew a little over a foot tall with an almost vine-like growth habit that was all over the place. I ended up staking them as they had a tendency to flop over without support. Yes, they are much smaller than a typical Chinense. But don't expect them to be a tiny, 8" ornamental bush like an Aurora or Filius Blue. 

i'll add a MEH vote for white bhut, it doesn't resemble a red bhut enough for me... just seems like some smooth small short pepper thats kinda hot. not very impressive at all.

white bhut in foreground
red bhut in background
... very different pheno
3e8xZMi.jpg

White bhuts are no where near as hot as a typical bhut. Hell I'd probably lump them in the upper habanero range. No bad peppers.

Carbonero is really good.

Hab hot lemon I haven't tried yet but it's in my grow this year.

There is a new White Bhut that I think only Jim Duffy has for 2016 (there`s an Orange one, too). It originally came from the Weaver family in PA, as in Jay`s Red or Peach Ghost Scorpion or his Father, Jim, with Lightening Habaneros. 

It looks like a Bhut, tastes like a dilute red Bhut is pretty bumpy and hotter than you`d think, unlike the one shown above which is indeed MEH, LOL. 

meatfreak said:
orangeblob1.jpg

eobmus1.jpg

The Elysium oxides look really good.

Was very displeased with my indian carbon last year. It was putting out pods in December under the LED. But the pods where not what I was expecting. perhaps it got crossed with something else.

SvtCobra said:
 Was very displeased with my indian carbon last year. It was putting out pods in December under the LED. But the pods where not what I was expecting. perhaps it got crossed with something else.
What was displeasing? Taste? expected heat?

D3monic said:
White bhuts are no where near as hot as a typical bhut. Hell I'd probably lump them in the upper habanero range. No bad peppers.

Carbonero is really good.

Hab hot lemon I haven't tried yet but it's in my grow this year.
Started carbonero based on what Alc had to say about them. Good to know they pass your sniff test as well.
Nigel said:
There is a new White Bhut that I think only Jim Duffy has for 2016 (there`s an Orange one, too). It originally came from the Weaver family in PA, as in Jay`s Red or Peach Ghost Scorpion or his Father, Jim, with Lightening Habaneros. 

It looks like a Bhut, tastes like a dilute red Bhut is pretty bumpy and hotter than you`d think, unlike the one shown above which is indeed MEH, LOL. 
White bhut will not make the cut this year. Anything above that you've had and did like?

CAPCOM said:
What was displeasing? Taste? expected heat?
  Taste, Heat Level and especially the look of the pods. I am a sucker for gnarly looking pods. When I saw pictures of the pods with bumps all over and a pointed shape I was sold. What I got where these stubby, bell shaped, small tiny bumped lame looking pods. That's why I say I must have gotten pore seeds even though they came from a very reputable grower. Even with a low N growing medium the plant was huge and produced around 15 pods. Some pods grew no more than an inch long before turning red. It was just a sad show.

Back