• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Any idea what this pepper is?

I got these peppers from a pal and neither of us has a clue. Perhaps you can point us in the right direction for an ID?

The peppers are fairly hot, but short of Habanero to my palate. They seem to zap you with a shot, but don't maintain heat for long. (We're calling them Zingers!) They'd be great in a spicy salad and are fairly small.

The bush is also small and I have included part of my hand for perspective...

snakebush2jan2010.jpg

snakebushjan2010.jpg

The plant is particularly prolific, with way more fruit than any of my other bushes, and I have about 15 of these, so it's definitely common to each plant.

Here's the fruit and flower...

snakejan2010.jpg

and a close up of the flower...

snakesflowerjan2010.jpg

Let's hope someone out there can help...;-)

I have found that id'ing plants is hard if not impossibe Paul, to me those pods look -omnicolor x whippets tail x aurora. I am dumb though.

Yeah, this is not going to be easy to ID, but I was hoping with the description and pics, we'd be ok....

Holding fumms!

Not the best picture, but the only one I have. this is the Medusa I grew last year. Looks the same to me...leaves and all. I'll agree with the others when i say I that's probably what you have.

MedusaThai2009.jpg

they sell a bunch of medusa's where i live and look just like that. But the only difference i am seeing is the thickness seems just abit bigger than the ones i have been seeing but i figure you would be taking better care than a garden center.

mine didn't go yellow first but all the pictures I see have yellow. who knows, mine maybe are something slightly different but they went straight to red. looks identical to huntsman's pics.

I've just checked with a flashlight, and I cannot see any yellow at all...

To give you an idea of pod spread, it's closest to that of a Malagueta, if that's of any use?

Ballz - How big is your bush?

huntsman said:
Ballz - How big is your bush?

If I was a girl I probably wouldn't answer that question, but the "medusa's" that I grew were about 2 feet tall in the ground and 1.5 feel in containers.

Lolololol......

These plants are mostly 1' to 1.5' in height, but extremely dense...

I'll check out 'Medusa' on line, but if anyone wants to add an idea, feel free..!

could be red thai or yatsafusa...leaves remind me of thai

I'm thinking Thai Bangkok upright or something similar...

I had a Thai Bangkok upright one year and it looked exactly like that, chillis and all!!!! Horrible taste, as soon as I tasted a chilli from it, both plants I had got tossed....

Back