• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

off-topic Any plumbing experts? Air in lines

HellfireFarm

eXtreme Business
I have air in my water lines. Getting spurts in the shower, toilets, faucets. I'm reasonably sure it's the water heater which appears to have a bit of a leak but wanted to get some other opinions before taking any action. The only part that has me a little uncertain is that the cold water is having a problem too - but then, it IS all connected...

It is all connected where the hot and cold water meets at the fixtures. I found that out one day when i drained my water heater and closed the fill valve . The relief valve was open and water somehow started back flowing to water heater and spilling everywhere. It was a big ole mess but a lesson was learned.

Dont know what your mineral composition of your water is there, but we have calcium buildup here. drain your heater and see if there are chunks of white flakes (calcium) or if the the water is red (iron) Either way its a good thing to flush the tank, drain it into a container of sorts, use it to water the lawn after it cools down.

If it is calcium. you will need to soak your shower heads in a vinegar solution to dissolve the calcium buildup and make em flow mo better. If its red, well maybe you have bigger problems.

Hope this helps! Cheers!

Last edited:
Are you on a well or city water? If it's a well, it might be the well pump starting to go.

You are correct, blockage wouldn't cause the air issue,

A few times we get air in the lines here after a water main break, A big one happened like 2 weeks ago.

Here is some info on it:

Yes I'm on a well. But I don't think it's that.

I turned off the water supply to the heater today. No spurting all day. Turned it back on and hot water is doing it again - waiting for cold to start.

Back