wine Any wine makers here

We've got homebrewers, distillers, but do we have any wine makers? Thanks to Neil's chili-wine recipy I now have the wine making bug. I looked at it and besides the bottles, it's an amazingly cheap hobby!

I'm looking at $30 for the start up costs. This is going to be a fun winter hobby.......great, just what I need another hobby. You can also make wine out of anything it seems like.

Rice, probably apples, chiles, lyches... Though I heard the last one is disgusting.
I really like honey wine, but I don't have a clue how to make it. If you can find out, try that. Or honeybeer, I heard that it's easier and quicker.

Elkie said:
Rice, probably apples, chiles, lyches... Though I heard the last one is disgusting.
You mean lychees? They taste like pears, so I don't see how the wine would be disgusting.

I haven't tried it, but my boyfriend served it at a chinese restaurant. He likes the fruit, but hates the wine. He's the only one who told me about that kind of wine.

And yes JayT, I probably mean Meade; I wasn't sure how it's spelled in english :)

Thanks for the suggestions Elkie! While I wasn't looking for them, you did remind me of Meade and how much I've always wanted to try it. Maybe that'll be my second wine that I make (Chili-wine is the first).

I'm just seeing if there are other home wine brewers here.

My parents buy kits that make 36 plus bottles for around 50 bucks. Most of them are pretty tasty as well.

imaguitargod said:
Thanks for the suggestions Elkie! While I wasn't looking for them, you did remind me of Meade and how much I've always wanted to try it. Maybe that'll be my second wine that I make (Chili-wine is the first).

I'm just seeing if there are other home wine brewers here.

Ah you mean Mead. Apparently I had my first drunk experience with that when I was three.

Back