• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

anybody grow 2 hot pepper per pot

I know the plants look decent but I was wondering if the actual number of peppers are reduced or particularly if they grow smaller size. I will try one pot this yr in 7 gallon pots but if others had success might do more.

I've planted triads, sets of 3 in a pot.

Together they tend to be the same size as a single plant in a pot tends to be. I haven't noted a strong difference in yield or anything.

When space is limited it is a handy trick if you are going to screen and select for traits but otherwise it may not have an advantage... unless the different plants are different strains and then their proximity increases the likelihood of them cross pollinating, though the seeds will require growing and screening to identify the grex.

In my experience different varieties can respond differently so my somewhat limited experience isn't definitive by any means.

I’ve been growing multiple plants in containers for many years, but not in small pots. My general rule of thumb is one in 5 or 7 gal, two in 10 or 15 gal, three in 18 or 20 gal, and four in a 25 gal. That’s as big as I go or they are too hard to move around.

In reading up on old capsicum literature today I found a few observations about planting density...single plants tended to produce larger individual fruit and more than 3 tended to produce much lower individual fruit size.

The recommendation was 2-3 plants per cluster...

This was direct seeding in fields though I suspect it holds true in more general terms with some exceptions.

I've had singles, doubles and triples in 10gallon grow bags and really don't see a significant difference in total plant size or productivity when they're all the same type.

What did happen this year is that I had a triple that were all supposed to be Aji Cristal but two turned out to be something like a yellow peppadew. They both produced well but the true Aji Cristal was crowded out and only set a small number of pods.

Almost as a matter of rule, I plant at least doubles.  It started out with me just sowing multiple seeds per hole, and having fantastic germination success.  But now, I just prefer the density of a cluster.
I've done braided plants, Abraded and fused plants, even multi-layer plants, using multiples.  Lots of interesting things you can do.  When you abrade and fuse, you can build some monster mass on your plants, in a very short time.  Great if you have a multi-year plant, or want to make a bonchi.
So no problems at all with multiples.  

This year we tested growing 2 of the same kind of plants in the same 7 gallon container and I found them all to be smaller plants than the singles in the 7 gallons.

Pepper Merchant said:
This year we tested growing 2 of the same kind of plants in the same 7 gallon container and I found them all to be smaller plants than the singles in the 7 gallons.

Not sure what the difference is from Canada to Florida, but my experience is very much not that.  There is almost always one plant that is a bit smaller - but you get that even when they're grown in different containers.  
I planted these out about 6 weeks ago.  There are more outside of this pic.  But I think you can see that overall, the doubles aren't really struggling against the singles.
50633869098_4f84abc6a2_c.jpg

Back