• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Anyone done a beef tongue?

Walchit said:
Got one from a friend, and have no idea what to do with it. Hoping someone here was a tongue afficianado lol.
Yeah I do lengua tacos in the instant pot now and then.  It's tasty, and takes flavors easily - just needs to be cooked for a while till it gets tender.  You'll need to peel it, but otherwise it's like any other meat.

I would go two stage cook if you want to put smoke on it. Simmer or braise first ,and then peel it. Cool off completely , and then a light smoke with Cherry , apple or sugar maple maybe to get the flavour you want. Slice it as thin as you can. Alternatively just peel slice thin , skipping the smoke and gets some good horseradish.

Done it a couple times. I didn't get fancy with it, just boiled it until tender. Then peeled the skin off, sliced thin, and crisped up the slices in a cast iron skillet. Taco's for days.

Walchit said:
Got one from a friend, and have no idea what to do with it. Hoping someone here was a tongue afficianado lol.

I've been drinking, so I am tempted to get juvenile :-)

jedisushi06 said:
Iv'e done many.  You can boil them for tacos, you can pressure cook them for tacos or make pastrami.  My favorite is to wet cure for two weeks then smoke into pastrami.  

Pastrami is smoked cow breast that's first been brined. Don't know what you're trippin' on, man :-)

podz said:

I've been drinking, so I am tempted to get juvenile :-)

Pastrami is smoked cow breast that's first been brined. Don't know what you're trippin' on, man :-)
you can turn the tongue into pastrami. It has a better fat content then brisket. It’s just a style of cooking. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a local restaurant here (south American) I "think" Columbian, that serves beef tongue. I tried it on a "dare" some 5 years ago. Loved it and have eaten it perhaps once every other month afterwards. Can't recollect the name of the dish just now, but it rocks. Served with rice/well seasoned beans and a small salad. Somehow, I initially expected it to taste heavily of "grass" but not so. From memory - I think it has the meat "density" of a chicken gizzard but not as chewy. Never tried to cook one, but have to give kudos to the cooks there - having no other benchmark to compare.

Reckon if someone gave me some, I would attempt to cook it based on some south American recipe. From what little I know, they figured it out fairly well.

WarrantMan said:
...it has the meat "density" of a chicken gizzard but not as chewy...

That^^^^

Right there. I can eat gizzards all day, every day. Cooked right they are the M&M of poultry.

Someone cook a beef tongue to the texture of a perfectly prepared gizzard (or chicken/turkey/whathaveyou heart) and I will eat it, at least once...

Oh gad, I said 'heart', din't I....OK, this thread's gonna be off the rails in 3...2...1...

I really appreciate the input guys. And I am not a fan of gizzards, maybe I just haven't had one cooked right lol.

The tongue I had it Puerto Rico was closer to the texture of pudding than any other meat ive had lol. It was more tender than liver. I think it would be better if it a tually had some chew to it, but I really have no idea. I'm gonna cook it one of these days lol.

Back