Anyone else already thinking about overwinters?

I'm only going to overwinter 10 pepper plants this year and I'm having difficulty deciding which ones I should save so I came up with a list of "potentials." out of the 45+ varieties I'm growing.  I've only COMPLETELY decided which ones I want to save with the ones I've marked with an asterisk (*)

Bhut X PDN -F1 (*)
Murupi Amarela
Yucatan white habanero
Reaper (*)
Fatalii (*)
mutant Fatalii ("Mortalii") (*)
7 Pot White
a polyploid red Bhut (*)
Pimenta de Neyde
Dragon Cayenne
Naga Morich
Numex Big Jim
orange Aji Dulce
Takanotsume
7 Pot Brainstrain
Goatsweed
unknown Nosegay cross
Czechoslovakian Black

I'm also kind of concerned about bringing in aphids like I did last year bringing in overwintered plants.  I have three full sized plants indoors full time that have never been exposed to the outside and its critters that I'm concerned with protecting.

if u worry about aphid, then remove all the leaves, and cut the plant to the bare minimum, and water once every 2 weeks of so. i have a lots of aphid last years due to bring the entire plant indoor. 

Solongo said:
if u worry about aphid, then remove all the leaves, and cut the plant to the bare minimum, and water once every 2 weeks of so. i have a lots of aphid last years due to bring the entire plant indoor. 
aphids can also come from soil

I didn't post this in the growing forum because I'm focused on varieties right now

Yep, getting to be about that time for me as well. Don't have half the varieties you do so not as difficult a decision but still have to pick maybe 10 out of 35 or so. I definitely won't be bringing the entire plant inside like I've done previous years, last year I had a huge aphid infestation that hit and probably would have lost all overwinters if it hadn't been so close to spring. Drastic haircuts for all ow's this year.

I had 10 plants overwintered from last year that didn't make it because I trusted the weather forecast one night in late April and I left them outside and they froze and died...all ten of them went from being green sticks to dead brown sticks overnight.  I was pretty pissed.

For me i plan to ow's about 30 plants out of 65 plants, i am mostly into supperhot. so if u into supperhot, then save those plant only. I give them a big hair cut, turn them into a bonsai plant and transfer them into a smaller pot and leave them outside for a week, so that they could recover, then i bring them indoor after new sprout came out.

I have about 10 plants at the moment that I'm planning on over wintering. During the growing season I avoid chemicals, and prefer to use natural predators to control any problem bugs. Before bringing my plants in for winter though I plan on pruning, doing a soil change and hitting them with some chemical pesticides to try to eliminate any potential pest issues inside as I won't have the beneficials to do it for me (our cat will eat any ladybug, mantis etc she'll see).

eh, at some point this year I started becoming unimpressed with superhots in general...it's like at some point it's "just another superhot pepper".  I like mutants, dwarves, and unstable crosses.  For example, I'm not overwintering any of my scorpions but I'm thinking about overwintering a Nosegay cross.  Other than the seeds I acquired this year for some scorp crosses I may not really grow any next season at all.  I'm planning on around 100 Bhut plants of various colors and several rows of various dwarf varieties like the bullet habs, black pearls, and rat turds.  I already have two baby eximium plants that are the start of my wilds collection--I'm expanding that next season too.

I'm going to use a shell no pest strip in a bag with the plants I'm over wintering. I'm probably doing 6 plants. 

SavinaRed said:
I'm going to use a shell no pest strip in a bag with the plants I'm over wintering. I'm probably doing 6 plants. 
what is that?  Is it organic?  I've gone to great lengths to have organic plants, I'm trying to avoid botching that while they're indoors.

Those supperhot pepper have lots of uses, beside eating, u can make cream for arthritis, make pesticide spray, which u can spray the soil, or at the plant itself one week or so prior to bring them indoor.

ikeepfish said:
aphids can also come from soil

I didn't post this in the growing forum because I'm focused on varieties right now
I have my habs in my sunroom with the door closed and ladybugs inside. Just thought you might need to know without new thread.

ikeepfish said:
what is that?  Is it organic?  I've gone to great lengths to have organic plants, I'm trying to avoid botching that while they're indoors.
it will kill all the bugs in 24 hours. it will not affect your soil or plant as far as I know. I'm sure some of the THPers can shed some light on the topic.

My list which I started thinking about since Spring ;)

Veracruz Pequin (C. frutescens) heading toward its 5th winter!
Jwala (C. annuum) 2nd winter
Aruna (C. annuum) 2nd winter
NOT Kanthari (C. annuum) 1st winter
Chiltepe El Progresso Guatemala (C. annuum) 2nd winter
at least one Chile De Arbol (C. annuum) 1st winter

Indiana_Jesse said:
My list which I started thinking about since Spring ;)

Veracruz Pequin (C. frutescens) heading toward its 5th winter!
Jwala (C. annuum) 2nd winter
Aruna (C. annuum) 2nd winter
NOT Kanthari (C. annuum) 1st winter
Chiltepe El Progresso Guatemala (C. annuum) 2nd winter
at least one Chile De Arbol (C. annuum) 1st
winter
is that a chiltepin from
Guatemala? Any pictures?

Yes, it was grown from seed collected by my friend in his hometown in Guatemala. There they call them chiltepe not chiltepin, but they are essentially the same thing except the leaves seem a bit more fuzzy on this one. Sorry, I don't have a pic right now.

SavinaRed said:
It's been decades since I last used a Shell No-pest strip, so don't know if this holds true today, but used to you couldn't hang them in the kitchen since they were so toxic. If that's still true I wouldn't want them anywhere near my plants.

Back