• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Anyone Else Like Fresh Boiled Crawfish?

Nice....I figure out of six pounds of crawfish I get maybe 1 1/4 pounds of meat...I am not a big eater by comparison to those I know...I know one guy that orders 5-10 pounds at a time and gets 2 to 3 orders...

AlabamaJack said:
thats a lot of crab....

yes it is! granted the king crab wasn't top dollar crab cuz of its size. still king crab & big though just not monster size where you pay top dollar elsewhere. I suppose they get a deal on that king crab by the semi load ?

it's a site to see, people are walking away with platefulls that ya need to balance the crabs so they don't fall off the plate. tables full of crab legs.
I had a lady roughly in her 50's grab a plate after me & run past me all while saying "gotta run, gotta run, only 1 thing worth getting tonight!" :lol:
I'm like ok whatever, since they're dumping fresh trays full of crab in the multi trays about every other min. but I understood what she meant = theres no point in eating a salad or ? when theres king crab & other seafood, cuz I was doing the same thing :lol:

only thing missing is them slapping a apple in your mouth when you leave & calling ya done! ;):lol:

Dam..... when I was Down in New Orleans I ate a ton of crawfish!!!!!Crawfish and Cajun Sting Daquari's!!!!! I wanna go back!!!!!! LOL

That's quite a bit of waste then isn't it? Still that's a lot of food AJ.

Do you get tired of eating it before the season is over? I'll do that with Morel mushrooms when we have a good season. Eat pounds and pounds of it, breakfast lunch and dinner with snacks in
between and after a couple weeks it's like oh man I can't eat another one.

I would eat them every day if I could afford it...I love 'em and crave them...too bad the season is January to June....

I suppose there is a lot of waste...I eat everything but shell...including the lungs, head, claws, then tail...a lot of folks just eat the tail..

I wonder if the shells would make good fertilizer? Would they go putrid and rot and kick the potency of the capsaicin up? Sounds like a future experiment.

I talked to the guy who runs a local pet store and he's going to save me a few dead fisheeees. I'm going to drop some in a couple of plants when I go to transfer them into bigger pots. Got to try new things.

patrick said:
I talked to the guy who runs a local pet store and he's going to save me a few dead fisheeees. I'm going to drop some in a couple of plants when I go to transfer them into bigger pots. Got to try new things.

supposedly this what the indians did, bury fish scraps in the soil by the plants.
they do sell fish emulsion in liquid form, its a little easier to use.

chilehunter said:
supposedly this what the indians did, bury fish scraps in the soil by the plants.
they do sell fish emulsion in liquid form, its a little easier to use.

I've got a bottle of fish emulsion already. I wanted to get into the whole fish. Something about it rotting and going putrid increasing the heat of peppers.

patrick said:
I've got a bottle of fish emulsion already. I wanted to get into the whole fish. Something about it rotting and going putrid increasing the heat of peppers.

well it'll also increase the chances of having some animal dig up that fish & destroy your plants at the same time. unless your doing this in a fenced in area.
I have my chiles sit outside of the garden in containers (makes it easier to move them if needed) & I limit my usage of fish emulsion for this reason, when any wild animal can walk by.

its never happened to me but some people on here says it can happen, & I don't want that to happen to me cuz it'd bum me out!

patrick said:

ahhh shoot. I just had a fish commit suicide this past weekend - jumped out of the tank and I found him dead on the floor. Should have stuck him in a freezer baggie and kept him. NOW you guys say something.

chilehunter said:
well it'll also increase the chances of having some animal dig up that fish & destroy your plants at the same time. unless your doing this in a fenced in area.
I have my chiles sit outside of the garden in containers (makes it easier to move them if needed) & I limit my usage of fish emulsion for this reason, when any wild animal can walk by.

its never happened to me but some people on here says it can happen, & I don't want that to happen to me cuz it'd bum me out!

That is a good point Chilehunter, never even thought about that. I've seen raccoons sitting on my neighbors porch eating cat food before. Perhaps if I use small fish and bury them deep. There's always something isn't there? Makes life fun I guess. Thanks.

Damn, I used to eat a lot of those crawfish when I am in Louisiana.
My aunt makes them and boils them in a special solution of herbs and spices. Cayun style. Sooo good

I kinda went easy on them...only ate 21 pounds the month of January...

AlabamaJack said:
I kinda went easy on them...only ate 21 pounds the month of January...

thats still alot of crawfish if ya ask me, for the month.
whats the most poundage you ate of crawfish in a months time ?

chilehunter said:
thats still alot of crawfish if ya ask me, for the month.
whats the most poundage you ate of crawfish in a months time ?

I think he was making a funny. That is a ton.

I am lucky if I eat 2 pounds a year. They are imported here, and not available too many places.

cheezydemon said:
I think he was making a funny. That is a ton.

I dont think he was joking! taken into consideration crawfish is more readily available down there & is like any normal meal (I think)

AJ - all this talk about crawfish, makes me want to give them another shot & try them again. the last time I had them I lost interest in them cuz of the work involved to eat them & then the slime from the head.
do you eat that slime ? what does that taste like ?

you should CH...man you just got to get past the look and to the taste...the head is where all the spice collects during cooking...it taste dang good to me...and if you like cajun spice, they are killer...

if you get them from someone that doesn't know how to cook them, they can be kinda blah....

During crawfish season (~Jan - June) I will eat somewhere around 180 pounds so figure about 30 lbs a month....I eat them at least once a week during the first of the season but then when the price comes down (they are 7.25 a pound now) to 3-4 a pound, I will eat them 2-3 and sometimes even 4 days a week....

AlabamaJack said:
you should CH...man you just got to get past the look and to the taste...the head is where all the spice collects during cooking...it taste dang good to me...and if you like cajun spice, they are killer...

yea I kinda was turned off from the slime in the head, though you never mentioned what it tastes like ? are you saying it tastes like cajun spice in paste/goo form ?
I like cajun flavor but the looks sure override the flavor part :lol:

another thing I wonder is do you peal the meat from the tail shell ? I only ask cuz I've seen some people eat the tail shell (normal shrimp) I dont like the shell & find removing the tail shell a hassel.

please explain how you eat them. & I only have access to frozen crawfish in this area.

Back