• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Anyone ever tried Stuffing Scotch Bonnets?

I ran across a post on here recommending Stuffing Scotch Bonnets for their mild flavor and stuffability (weird, right?).  I thought I'd try planting a few this year to have something on the mild end, so I found a trusted vendor off here and ordered some.

Fast forward six months to the first one getting ripe.  I cleaned it, tossed it in my mouth, bit down, and someone pissed gasoline in my mouth and tossed in a match.  Needless to say, I was caught a little unprepared, and I'm about 95% certain now that I have three beautiful, bountiful, red hab plants.  (I said I liked hot peppers, not that I had a high tolerance!)

Anybody ever tried SSBs before, and how would you rate them on the heat scale?

I love scotch bonnets and have made poppers with them before but that is definitely chilehead territory.

If you don't have a fairly high tolerance and love spice they will definitely ruin your day.

I would suggest getting some sweet peppers and finely mincing the SB to mix in with the filling. One SB to filling for three or four small sweet peppers, will give you the fantastic flavour of the SB's but toned down the heat level .

It won't take long before you are craving a little more heat, then a little more.

Before the season is over if you keep eating them you might even be stuffing them straight up.

That's the thing though, my understanding the Stuffing Bonnets were supposed to be really mild, like Bell to Peperoncini territory.  Don't get me wrong, I live Scotch Bonnets (Growing Peach SBs this year), but this was WAY more heat than what I was given to understand.  They're really hot though, which is what makes me think I really ended up with Red Habs - not that I can't make hot sauce out of them, but not what I wanted.

Harry_Dangler said:
Stuffing Scotch Bonnets are fabulous.  Large and very productive plants.  The fruits are red, large, round, no to very low heat and flavorful.  One of our favorites.  We stuff  and freeze them.  Sounds like you've got full on Red Habaneros or Bonnets.  
Sounds like there is a pepper called a "Stuffing Scotch Bonnet".  I thought the op was stuffing a scotch bonnet and expecting it to be mild.  I figured I missed something.  It makes more since now.  

Harry_Dangler said:
Stuffing Scotch Bonnets are fabulous.  Large and very productive plants.  The fruits are red, large, round, no to very low heat and flavorful.  One of our favorites.  We stuff  and freeze them.  Sounds like you've got full on Red Habaneros or Bonnets.  

Yeah, they don't look much Bonnet like, but they could easily be Red Habeneros.  I so wanted to try the Stuffing variety.  Where did you get yours?  If you've got a good source, I'd love to try them next year!

Tybo said:
Sounds like there is a pepper called a "Stuffing Scotch Bonnet".  I thought the op was stuffing a scotch bonnet and expecting it to be mild.  I figured I missed something.  It makes more since now.  

Dude, I can't stop laughing, that really made my day!  I can't blame you either, because I know people like that too.  I've grown Peach and MOA bonnets and I love them....mixed into a sauce or a bit a powder.  Don't think I have the cojones to eat them straight, stuffed or not!

Yikes!  Mine have always grown true.  One year, my wife got some of the pods mixed up with Faria or maybe it was Petenero.  That was interesting.  Try Habanero El Remo.  It's a nice mild one that we stuff too.  

Sounds good.  I was kinda surprised myself.  Garth seems to be pretty highly recommended around here.  Also ordered some Joe's Long Cayenne from him.  None are ripe yet, but one has to be a foot long.  If it's not JLC, it's a Thunder Mountain.  Sadly, all three SSB seem to be habenero though :(

Stuffers

Attachments

• Stuffers.JPG
    Stuffers.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 132
Stuffing scotch bonnet I'll put that on my wish list I've never heard of them before. Seems like a great pepper, but I don't think I'll eat it in one bite line nigel did lol.

It's a hard pepper to find.  I'm hoping to get the right seeds next year, as I was really looking forward to trying it.  Every mild plant I had died other than these, which turned out to be habeneros lol

mlh5953 said:
Same here! I love making poppers out of Scotch Bonnets!
I remember that Pepperlover used to sell that pepper, and I missed it on Garth's spreadsheet.
I'll have to order that for next season.
Yep.  I think the origin of the Stuffer was at Pepperlover.  

Back