• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone got any tips for potting up a large tomato plant?...

Black Krim is already over the 5 foot mark, I thought it would top out at 6, looks like it might be closer to 7 feet. It is currently in a 20 inch container, I believe I am going to need to pot it up to at least a 24 inch. So, anyone have any insight? Don't want to rip the plant from the roots or damage them.

I just potted up a fig tree from a 7 gallon to 15 gallon today. What I do with big plants like that is grab the main stem right above the soil, then turn the pot up side down and shake it a little until the whole thing slides out. If a little bit of the roots get torn it won't hurt, especially with a root ball that size.

Are you going to try to save the smaller pot?

If not you could probably cut the sides and peal it back then wrap it in a cloth to transfer over to the new pot. I would love to know how this works out for you.

Good Luck!!

I just potted up a fig tree from a 7 gallon to 15 gallon today. What I do with big plants like that is grab the main stem right above the soil, then turn the pot up side down and shake it a little until the whole thing slides out. If a little bit of the roots get torn it won't hurt, especially with a root ball that size.
What he^ said
You can even put it on it side and gently pull the pot away from the plant. Its usually easier with someone helping

Thanks for the tips! Looks like I will be postponing the potting up. Finally have 3 tomatoes showing up on my plant, don't want to disturb it just yet. How long will a 5, 5 and 1/2 foot tomato plant last in a 8-10 gallon container?

Lay it on its side on top of a sheet of cloth/plastic then pull off the container. Use the plastic/cloth sheet to lift and move it to avoid hurting the plant stem and slide it into its new home. Fill with fresh soil and water well.

Alan

Thanks for the tips! Looks like I will be postponing the potting up. Finally have 3 tomatoes showing up on my plant, don't want to disturb it just yet. How long will a 5, 5 and 1/2 foot tomato plant last in a 8-10 gallon container?

I wouldn't even worry about that, I have a tiny fig on my fig tree I potted up. I also potted up a lemon tree with some tiny lemons growing on it a couple weeks ago. The fruit should continue growing just fine unless you do a major butcher job on the transplant.

if the roots grow out the bottom all you need to do is give
the extra roots extra growing medium.

the plant will happily use whatever water and nutrients you provide it with
and it does not care if it is a big pot or just the ground it sits on.

you like the dark side of tomatos, huh? :eek:

me too, :woohoo: i also like
the medium and light colored ones
and think you should grow plenty

:dance:

Back