• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Anyone grown mushrooms?

Has anyone tried growing mushrooms? I love using exotic mushrooms in my dishes, but it is a real pain to find good quality fresh ones in the market. Just wondering how difficult it is to get good results?

I actually started a grow log in this section. My transfer to a larger growing medium got contaminated though so I'm re-starting it now. I'll be updating it again now that the cakes have started to colonize.

Hello! Yes, I have grown mushrooms for many years. If you are even thinking about it, just spend a little time doing some research and you will find it's really not that difficult. It is VERY rewarding, and the quality of mushroom is far superior to that of which you will find in any market. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have... Here's from my last grow of the Oyster mushroom

oysta.jpg

oysta2.jpg

No sir. No kits here. Kits are a good learning experience if you're just trying to get a feel for growing mushrooms, but it's a complete rip off IMO. For the same price I can grow 5x the amount as one of those kits cost.

You can buy spores online. What you actually want is a live culture, which usually comes in a syringe. Sporeworks.com and other such sites sell them.
I haven't had to buy either in years. I use stored culture grown out on agar in petri dishes, which can last for years in the fridge. There are communities out there for growing mushrooms, like this one, and there are very generous people out there that give away free cultures.

As far as what you can grow them on, there are many options. For oysters, all the above you mentioned are perfect.

In the pictures I posted, one was grown on wheat straw shown in the blue basket, and the other was grown on a coir/coffee block I made up.

That is a pretty awesome grow out.

All of the places I have seen selling spores and kits have mostly oyster and shitake. I like those ok, but what I would really like to grow are maitake (aka hen of the woods), beech mushrooms, straw mushrooms, and maybe porcini. I have heard of people growing maitake but I haven't found a spore source or any specific growing instructions. The other types I have yet to find any details on.

Hi. I've been an avid picker of wild mushrooms for about 15 years. If you enjoy mushrooms, it is definitely a hobby worth pursuing. Its neither as confusing nor as dangerous as it might seem at first glance. Long story short: there are about 15 good edibles that grow in the USA, and 3 kinds that could kill you (thankfully the good ones don't resemble the bad ones). The best way to learn these is to visit your local mushroom club and go on a few sponsored walks. Trust me, there is one in your area, and google will lead you to it.

It's a nice hobby that, in the northeast at least, begins with morels in April and ends with Hen of the Woods in October. Right now Pennsylvania/NJ has all the chantrelles you want to pick.

I have cultivated mushrooms at home. I bought 'plugs' of spore that were about the size of .22 shells, drilled holes into oak logs and stuffed them, put the logs in the shade, and had shitakes and oysters the next year.

Maitake can be cultivated but it's nothing like the real thing. Kind of like a hothouse tomato. Boletes, meaning porcini and relatives, are not cultivated as far as I know. Honestly, the best thing is to learn the few varieties that matter and enjoy what nature provides.

Hi. I've been an avid picker of wild mushrooms for about 15 years. If you enjoy mushrooms, it is definitely a hobby worth pursuing. Its neither as confusing nor as dangerous as it might seem at first glance. Long story short: there are about 15 good edibles that grow in the USA, and 3 kinds that could kill you (thankfully the good ones don't resemble the bad ones). The best way to learn these is to visit your local mushroom club and go on a few sponsored walks. Trust me, there is one in your area, and google will lead you to it.

It's a nice hobby that, in the northeast at least, begins with morels in April and ends with Hen of the Woods in October. Right now Pennsylvania/NJ has all the chantrelles you want to pick.

I have cultivated mushrooms at home. I bought 'plugs' of spore that were about the size of .22 shells, drilled holes into oak logs and stuffed them, put the logs in the shade, and had shitakes and oysters the next year.

Maitake can be cultivated but it's nothing like the real thing. Kind of like a hothouse tomato. Boletes, meaning porcini and relatives, are not cultivated as far as I know. Honestly, the best thing is to learn the few varieties that matter and enjoy what nature provides.
" Local mushroom club ?" My Gawd. I'm still waiting for a gas station to open that has an air compressor.

" Local mushroom club ?" My Gawd. I'm still waiting for a gas station to open that has an air compressor.

OK, if you live in the jungle somewhere that may not apply. But then there has got to be a few locals who know which ones are good to eat and which ones to avoid. I do know that there are mushroom societies in all 50 states. And they sponsor guided walks that are free and open to the public.

Back