• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Anyone have sleep apnea?

I can't use the nasal cushions. I'm a mouth breather. I tried the big head strap to strap your mouth closed and just couldn't put up with it. 

I use a Quattro FX mask and love it. 

I did exaggerate a bit when I made the Darth Vader reference. It is pretty quiet. 

This thread makes me think I should try this again. I have been falling asleep during the day anytime I’m inactive or just sitting. I can hardly make the drive to Arizona anymore without pulling over every hour to get out and walk around.

I had a study done 20 years ago. They put me on some upper floor of a hospital with no one on the floor but some creepy little man. It was like a bad horror flick. He kept checking on me like every ½ hour to see how I was doing. I never slept a wink that night. Besides that mask was pumping cold air and it was loud and very uncomfortable.

Since then I have gained 50 pounds and I constantly wake up throughout the night. Maybe the technology is better now. Good talk guys, I really think I need to get serious about this too. 

My cpap ramps up when breathing becomes labored. I was falling asleep at traffic lights and when my daughter would tell me about her day at school. The machine is small air isnt cold at all and there are setting where it isnt pumping like crazy. My study was done at a hotel there were video cameras and wiring on my chest head. The only time I saw the nurse was when there was a problem. Asleep by 10pm and home by 530am. I stopped breathing at a rate of >85 times an hour. There was definitely an issue that I never knew. 

SL3 said:
This thread makes me think I should try this again. I have been falling asleep during the day anytime I’m inactive or just sitting. I can hardly make the drive to Arizona anymore without pulling over every hour to get out and walk around.

I had a study done 20 years ago. They put me on some upper floor of a hospital with no one on the floor but some creepy little man. It was like a bad horror flick. He kept checking on me like every ½ hour to see how I was doing. I never slept a wink that night. Besides that mask was pumping cold air and it was loud and very uncomfortable.

Since then I have gained 50 pounds and I constantly wake up throughout the night. Maybe the technology is better now. Good talk guys, I really think I need to get serious about this too. 

They no longer check on you.  They use a video camera in the room plus a ton of sensors on your body.  A little uncomfortable with a bunch of wires and sticky pads on you, but really not that bad.  I brought sleep meds too.  The nyquil sleeping med sold over the counter works well if you dont have a prescription for something.

The only time they come into the room now is halfway through the night to put a cpap on you.  The first half is to monitor your normal sleeping problems without a cpap.

Yeah, I'm with Grant. I don't go anywhere without mine. My grandfather died of a massive heart attack at 55. He didn't know he had apnea. It's rough on your heart. Fortunately I did the study when I was 23. So I've had it 12 yrs now.

Back