• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Anyone into restoring vintage/antique tools and such?

Hey all! I love all things pre 1940. I restore alot of old tools and cutlery, I am a huge custom knife buff also.

Anyway, I aquired these 1919 Judson NYC shears from 1919 via my mom's garage, they belonged to my great grandfather, super heavy duty and still razor sharp. I plan on restoring them to bring life to them again, they sure don't build stuff like they used too! I plan to add them to my pruning equipment, my favorite modern pruning tools are from Corona tools line, excellent quality stuff, check em out.

Here's the shears after almost 100 years, I will post a pic when done :-)

Nice pair of sheers.  Those look sharp, come to a good point and I expect are balanced in your hand.  I do not restore vintage tools, as you do.  I've three too many hobbies.  hahaha.  I like a good knife, however.   I've got a few Benchmades and Moras, if you consider either quality workmanship.  Oldest things I collect/restore are Swedish camp stoves and morse code keys (telegraph keys) from the second world war and before ... or after that period of time :-)

I have a question.  You say they will be added to your pruning equipment.  Were they meant to be used out of doors or inside cutting cloth, paper, twine, etc.

Thanks for sharing.  Please keep us updated on your restoration. 

Jim

p.s. had not heard of corona.  will look around.

I have a custom knife maker in oregon who makes me custom knives to my specs or drawings from 100+ year old steel all hand forged I will post a few pics of them tomorrow.

As for the shears, probably just general purpose but superbly balanced and strong, will serve an excellent fine pruning shears. I'll post a link to my favorite corona shears. They have so many specialized pruning equipment, great company.

These are my go to coronas, amazing quality!
http://coronatoolsusa.com/fs-4350-thinning-shear-1-3-4-in.html

I was at a second hand goods market over the weekend where I saw a very old electric circular saw.

It caught my eye because it was amongst other powered saws, but the entire housing/case of this particular saw was made entirely of cast metal, possibly aluminum? I was intrigued, so I picked it up, and just about needed two hands to lift it up it was so heavy.

They sure don't make 'em like they used to!

SR.

Shorerider said:
I was at a second hand goods market over the weekend where I saw a very old electric circular saw.

It caught my eye because it was amongst other powered saws, but the entire housing/case of this particular saw was made entirely of cast metal, possibly aluminum? I was intrigued, so I picked it up, and just about needed two hands to lift it up it was so heavy.

They sure don't make 'em like they used to!

SR.
I bet that sucker has a big ass motor in it and probably why its so heavy. With our current technology we can make small light motors that are more powerfull then the old ones, just like in cars.

If there is no rust or pitting in the metal it could be aluminum, but most very old power tools, saws, drills and such were some type of a cast steel alloy. Put a magnet to it and see if it sticks.

Does it have a braided fabric cable? I love them old cords :-)

The casing did look like it was in very good shape with no pitting, had no paint and just looked like polished aluminum that had tarnished. I can't recall if the cable was fabric or not.

I think it's weight alone would make it impractical compared to today's saws, but it certainly looked better than anything modern. If it's there next time, I may just have to make an offer.

SR.

Back