• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone seen or used this?

i use the same set up for all my peppers. you can buy the samething at lowes. for $37.00 only added a thermostst, to heater to keep even temps.all the time set my stat at 80* works great some seeds came up in 4 days.

hmmm.... I ts been 4 days since I started mine...hopefully see some sprouts soon. Did you use florescent lights too?

I bought the Jiffy version from Lowe's about 3 or 4 years ago. Worked good, got good fast germination. Only problem was the heating pad only lasted that one time. Went to use it again a few months later and it was burned out. So, I bought the Jiffy greenhouse kit which has 3 72 cell inserts, 3 humidity domes, and 3 trays for like $9 at lowes and then ordered a hydrofarm heat mat for about $30 I think. (Greenhouse megastore sells this for $21 now) I have been using them ever since. Buying it this way is cheaper as well. Of course, I bought a digital thermostat for $31 this year to help with temp control.

jacob

I bought a Hydrofarm 9x19.5 heating mat today and am impressed with it so far. It raised the temp in my seedling dome from 68 upto 79 degrees in a few hours and now I have humidity in it and drops off a couple seedlings. I left the dome on because I still have 20 seeds germinating in the tray.
I have seen so pictures of seeds germinated with and without heating mats. They were supposedly started at the same time and the seedlings with the heating mat were nearly twice as big.

I've got a couple of those mini greenhouses, and they've lasted me probably about 7-8 years. Great for germinating seeds. Personally I prefer the other type with a thick styrofoam base which is less flimsy

Friends,

I was actually thinking of buying USB cup warmer for seed sprouting.

http://hardwarebistro.com/index.php?option=com_simple_review&Itemid=84&review=65-USB-Cup-Warmer-with-Hub-Review

I dunno if I am correct in choosing this.

I want to invest in one of such things or the ones you are using already. Can you guys advice me on which type to buy?
I want to be able to use it year after year.
Last year's experience taught me to get one.

TIA

NJA

I want to start early in Jan end and when I leave by March 1st week, I will leave seedlings of managable height for
relatives to take care easily.
I don't want to miss this season. No way

NJA

I bought one of those, no thermostat though. I think it gets too hot and cooked my seeds. Now, elevate the pots off the mat a bit. Last year, I bought some smaller heat mats. I thought those weren't hot enough, but they ended up working great.

As stated in other threads, make sure to a check temps in the dome with a good thermometer and you only need the dome and extra heat for germination

I use the same exact germination station seems to work good I have been screwing up my watering technique but i think i got it down now!! NJA that is sick a usb seed starter u never cease to amaze me!

Noshownate said:
I use the same exact germination station seems to work good I have been screwing up my watering technique but i think i got it down now!! NJA that is sick a usb seed starter u never cease to amaze me!

Noshownate,

I know I know but honestly speaking , I read about this on GW and was intrigued.
NO, I did not have any intention of buying that without knowing all the details from growers here.

I don't mind shelling upto 100 Greenbacks for a thing that lasts me or overlasts me...:lol:

Thanks for the compliment that I never cease to amaze you...(I take it as a compliment)

NJA

Noshownate said:
I have been screwing up my watering technique but i think i got it down now!!

Can you elaborate? Its been 6 days and I haven't had any sprouts now, I am getting worried/paranoid....

Getting sprouts in 6 days seems to be more the exception than the rule for peppers. I rarely see any sprout in less than a week and some of the superhots can take 2 - 3 weeks or even more to sprout. No need to worry yet. Patience is definately the hard part.:lol:

jacob

Agree, six days for sprouts isn't the norm. For some of the superhots I've read here some folks going as far as 30 days before they see anything. Have some patience RazorBack you'll have more sprouts then you know what to do with in a short time I'm sure. You have to keep the growing medium moist too not just warm.

I use a similar setup myself. Heat pad, Jiffy 72 cell starter last year this year 3 oz Dixie cups, and a cover. No reason to have any lights on until they get some leaves. I did get a few to sprout at six days, 3 out of about 40 I'd say and that would be about normal. I also use an aluminum tray between the heat pad and the seeds as it spreads the heat evenly.

Depending upon how many seeds you're starting the little four watt Hermit Crab heaters do a wonderful job of keeping the soil warm.

Back