• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

anyone tried using a pepper grinder

i'm starting to get an excess of thai hot sauce, and my cayenne haven't even turned red yet.....so i'm trying to figure out what i want to do with them.....

traditionally a lot of people use cayenne for a powder, i was thinking, what if i just crammed all my dried cayenne into a black pepper grinder, to have fresh ground cayenne pepper right on the dinner table? or do you think my wife's nice pepper grinders gonna get all jammed up? i've ruined my share of my wife's kitchen stuff; LOL let me know what you think!

I tried this and it did not work to well for me. Peppercorns are heavier and fall into the grinder. Wish it was that easy. The best is just to use old plastic spice jars and refill with your homemade powders.

ive had this idea to but im concerned that the peppers are too lightweight and would not work as well as a coffee grinder. try it! please!!! and let us know how it works out.
otherwise grind it elsewhere and get a nice shaker!

So PRF tried it with a grinder and it did not work well. Potawie says it works with a certain type of grinder that has a pre-grinder. There's your answer.

Back