• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Anyone use Bayer Bug Killer for aphids?

I was checking plants this a.m. and I found one plant with quite a few of the little sap sucking parasites, didn't have a chance to check any more but I'm sure it won't be long if they're not on them yet.

I'm not real happy with the aphid killing power of the safer soaps and oils so I'm thinking of picking up a bottle of Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer. It uses Carbaryl as the main killing ingredient. Looking to see if anyone has used it and what kind of success they've had with it.

Thanks.

I haven't used it either, but Sevin didn't do too good for me when I overwintered some plants in the garage. That started my aphid battle going all the way through the ladybugs arrived after the plants were outside. I soaked the plants with the Sevin a few times and they just kept multiplying.

jacob

SS yep it is the chemical used in Sevin. My dad always used Sevin on his maters when I was a kid and he always swore by it.

After the storm last night I don't know if any of the damn things survived anyway.

Thanks for the responses gang.

patrick said:
SS yep it is the chemical used in Sevin. My dad always used Sevin on his maters when I was a kid and he always swore by it.

After the storm last night I don't know if any of the damn things survived anyway.

Same here on the Sevin as a kid; never could stand the smell of the stuff. I quit using it after somewhere around my third garden on personal property and started using things like Spinosad, pyrethrins, DE and soapy oils.

They survived, you know they did. You put a lot of time into growing their roots and they were tempered true and will push forth astounding greenery laden with fruit. :)

I use the Safer Soap and that wears them out pretty good. Just takes a few applications and it's most effective when you rub it in on both sides of the leaves with your fingers. Keeps the toxins out of the food chain.

Thanks again guys.

bigt I've used Safer Soap and it works but I hate having to keep doing it. I guess I'm looking for what everyone else is, a one shot aphid destroyer.

SS, I was referring to the aphids, not sure if any of them could have survived the storm. Hope not.

I haven't used many of the insecticides, but Sevin is the one I go to. It really took care of the problem last year when I had issues with aphids and spider-mites. I've been battling aphids all year on the overwintered plants, then the aphids eventually spread to my seedlings. I tried a number of 'home remedies', safers soap and spraying my plants with the kitchen sink sprayer. I swear more damage happened from repeated applications of the remedies than what would have been caused by the aphids. I never used Sevin on them because I didn't want to bring insecticides into the house particularly with a 10 week old puppy around. I would've given all my plants a shot of Sevin, but the ladybugs have started to arrive and many of them have laid eggs. So I'm just pinching the aphids and being careful not to disturb the many ladybugs that keep showing up. I haven't a clue where they are coming from, but I'm happy they're here :)

Oh yea, if you use Sevin or a Carbaryl based insecticide, make sure the plants are out of direct sun because the sun's rays will kill it. Also be sure to wait at least a full 7 days before consuming any fruit that's come in contact with it.

Thanks for the tips blister.

I went ahead a picked up a bottle for future use. It's not the powder, it's a liquid in a spray bottle. I'm thinking it may not be as strong as the powder as it says I only have to wait three days after using before harvesting. I plan on waiting the seven days though.

Back