Anyone used Azamax?

I just finished watching the youtube video from subcool about super soil and he mentioned that gnat problems can be fixed by mixing up the full-labeled dose of Azamax and doing a soil drench.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this out yet?

***Specifically the soil drench delivery method using Azamax.

Thanks for the insight!

OH, and how does it do with beneficial micros? I have seen the hydrogen peroxide soil drench, but this would kill a lot if not all of the beneficial.

Nothing used as a soil drench to kill invertebrates is going to be beneficial for micros I can't imagine... but neem based products are probably some of the more gentle ones to use generally in there effects on beneficial insects

Trippa said:
Nothing used as a soil drench to kill invertebrates is going to be beneficial for micros I can't imagine... but neem based products are probably some of the more gentle ones to use generally in there effects on beneficial insects

I used to think the same way, so I understand where you are coming from and actually it is the reason I posted the question. One example to the contrary would be beneficial nematodes. They do not hurt micros nor worms, at least it says so right on the package.

I figured if I was going to drench with an insecticide, then it would might hurt the beneficial micros. But when Subcool mentioned this root drench he was specifically talking about organic soil. And he went over and over again on how important the microbiology was. So this led me to believe that Azamax root drench would NOT hurt the good biology.

I figured it was worth asking to see if anyone had any problems after drenching organic soil with this specific product.

I have done a neem soil drench, it only slightly helped.

Chewi said:
it works for gnats and aphids I can say from experience.

...and that works for me :)

Thanks guys!!

Wicked Mike said:
Abamectin has worked for me.

interesting, i already started some research. will do more, thank you!

mrgrowguy said:

I used to think the same way, so I understand where you are coming from and actually it is the reason I posted the question. One example to the contrary would be beneficial nematodes. They do not hurt micros nor worms, at least it says so right on the package.

I figured if I was going to drench with an insecticide, then it would might hurt the beneficial micros. But when Subcool mentioned this root drench he was specifically talking about organic soil. And he went over and over again on how important the microbiology was. So this led me to believe that Azamax root drench would NOT hurt the good biology.

I figured it was worth asking to see if anyone had any problems after drenching organic soil with this specific product.

I have done a neem soil drench, it only slightly helped.

...and that works for me :)

Thanks guys!!

interesting, i already started some research. will do more, thank you!
Azamax is just the active ingredient of neem rebranded ... Nothing more or less as far as I am aware

interesting...... not according to my bottle's list of ingredients, but thanks for the idea. I will look into it further. Maybe need to do some digging. Can't hurt.

My neem bottle says active ingredient is 70% extract of neem oil.

If, however, you meant that the Azamax is in fact just concentrated neem, then I will take a good look when that bottle arrives and will reply to this thread if I find a similarity.

Thanks again for replying.

If I can remember, I will report my results here (...if I can remember).

here is what I ordered:

http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-GH2045-4-Ounce-AzaMax/dp/B0032JYKGG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430522272&sr=8-1&keywords=azamax

Azadirachtin products vary in make up. Some, like Azamax, contain all the liminoids and other compounds found in pure neem, while others are merely azadirachtin A and B mixed together. Asking GH would be a sure bet, but I would think Azamax effects microbes based on the effect of pure neem and concentrated liminoids/other terpenes.

70% neem products are a stripped down version of pure neem, and works similar to other horticultural oils. Still very effective at smothering insects, but contains none of the compounds that sets neem apart.

Bti (Mosquito Dunks/Bits, Gnatrol, etc) works well on gnats and effects few non target organisms. Azamax will work like a champ, but is pricey. The little hebe inside me would save it for a more virulent pest.

miguelovic said:
Azadirachtin products vary in make up. Some, like Azamax, contain all the liminoids and other compounds found in pure neem, while others are merely azadirachtin A and B mixed together. Asking GH would be a sure bet, but I would think Azamax effects microbes based on the effect of pure neem and concentrated liminoids/other terpenes.

70% neem products are a stripped down version of pure neem, and works similar to other horticultural oils. Still very effective at smothering insects, but contains none of the compounds that sets neem apart.

Bti (Mosquito Dunks/Bits, Gnatrol, etc) works well on gnats and effects few non target organisms. Azamax will work like a champ, but is pricey. The little hebe inside me would save it for a more virulent pest.

LOL - Excellent post, thank you!

I have used dunks to soak the bottom holes in the pot via bottom watering. Do you think the dunks would fare well brewed in a light tea? Similar to culturing beneficials per-say...

There are one or two products that are claimed to have living bacteria (BMC for one), but most are inert. Top dressing crumbled Dunks has given the best control in my experience. Not to say you probably couldn't add to a tea brew with good effect, I'm just not sure it wouldn't become microbe fodder.

mrgrowguy said:
I just finished watching the youtube video from subcool about super soil and he mentioned that gnat problems can be fixed by mixing up the full-labeled dose of Azamax and doing a soil drench.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this out yet?

***Specifically the soil drench delivery method using Azamax.

Thanks for the insight!

OH, and how does it do with beneficial micros? I have seen the hydrogen peroxide soil drench, but this would kill a lot if not all of the beneficial.
If subcool recommends it I would stay away from it. :lol:

Proud Marine Dad said:
If subcool recommends it I would stay away from it. :lol:

LOL, the more I read, the more I see people agreeing with you (I hadn't yet made soil using his formula). Instead I am going to be using my own mix, which is currently proving itself and added a few things like Azomite and humic acid which I hadn't thought about before.

Also, locating the Azomite dust and humic acid in my area has brought me to Orange County Farm Supply and they have the best prices in bulk for the OC that I can find. I finally found a local pumice vendor!! Can ditch the perlite/lava rock now. Also found a local place to buy oyster shell here.

Thanks for looking out @Proud Marine Dad

mrgrowguy said:

LOL, the more I read, the more I see people agreeing with you (I hadn't yet made soil using his formula). Instead I am going to be using my own mix, which is currently proving itself and added a few things like Azomite and humic acid which I hadn't thought about before.

Also, locating the Azomite dust and humic acid in my area has brought me to Orange County Farm Supply and they have the best prices in bulk for the OC that I can find. I finally found a local pumice vendor!! Can ditch the perlite/lava rock now. Also found a local place to buy oyster shell here.

Thanks for looking out @Proud Marine Dad
Azamax is worthless as tits on a hog according to someone I know who knows far more about this stuff than I. lol

LOL, thanks!

I find any time with tits is a great time!  :)  ...as long as they belong to a female, sorry moobs/chesticles are not my thing.

I used the Azamax on one set of plants and dunks on another. The dunks set of plants still had some lingering fliers, but the Azamax set are bug free right now. But there has not been much time to say the dunks have not worked yet. And the dunks DEFINITELY took the population down a notch and a half. But the Azamax sure did a great job that I can tell.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Azamax is worthless as tits on a hog according to someone I know who knows far more about this stuff than I. lol
Sorry, but what?

According to people that use it, it works as intended. Successfully remediated spider mites and FG at different times myself, as I gather other's here have as well.

I believe you're referring to Clackamas Coot. While he is a wealth of information to say the least, if you can't buy it from Build a Soil, he doesn't recommend it. Not exactly an impartial source of information or advice. He also states you can't spray away mites or other pests, despite success by countless growers doing just that.

Take it or leave it, I suspect the latter. If you're going to respond with mockery, eye rolling, or some other reply devoid of substance or relevance, maybe don't?

miguelovic said:
Azamax will work like a champ, but is pricey. The little hebe inside me would save it for a more virulent pest.
Hebe? Aren't you the guy that was pointing fingers and calling folks racist in the renaming the Redskins thread? I believe you even straight up called one member a bigot, and told him he would be "shitting his teeth for a week" if he uttered a slur in your presence? You do know hebe is a derogatory slur for jews, right? And the way you used it suggests you believe the stereotype that jews are cheap.

Christ, then I must be the first hypocrite walking these forums.

I tend to differentiate between saying and thinking. I use racist jargon all the time, but anyone that knows my views understands I think it's all malarkey. A racist half blood is somewhat of a contradiction, but I've met a few. None of them were particularly intelligent.

Thinking and believing racist blabber is a different beast. I've never had a problem separating the ones that are joking from the small minds that believe that shite. I'm not PC at all, and could care less what some sports teams is named, if it weren't for the fact the ones arguing it stay the same, that it doesn't matter (to them), etc, are all white as the driven snow.

miguelovic said:
I'm not PC at all, and could care less what some sports teams is named, if it weren't for the fact the ones arguing it stay the same, that it doesn't matter (to them), etc, are all white as the driven snow.
As opposed to, say... red as an apple, or yellow as a lemon, or black as night? :lol:

Sorry OP. Back on topic. I have used Azamax with great results in spray form for aphids, and as a soil drench for gnats. I have also used it diluted even more as a preventative soil drench for seedlings indoors.

I used Azamax occasionally for two seasons. It worked to cut down aphid counts and avert infestations during my inside grow. You have to keep spraying every 5-7 days. However, I don't think it works any better than dawn ultra in a sprayer. I generally don't have much of an aphid issue after planting outside. Last year I had some white flies during the late summer and Azamax didn't seem to work on them.

So, in sum I say, "Meh!" to Azamax.

Back