• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Anyone Using Jiffy Peat Pellets for Germinated Seeds?

I have been germinating my seeds layered in moist paper towels inside ziplock bags heated by a seedling mat. Once the seeds germinate, I put them into a small Jiffy peat pot and into the covered 72 cell greenhouse. The greenhouse is illuminated by two 4ft 6500k / 2800 lumen bulbs that are kept on 24x7.

On to the peat pelets ... I read elsewhere that the peat pellets should be avoided at all costs when growing peppers. Is this an accurate statement - if so, why? Mine appear to be growing well and I am confused as to why these little pellets shouldn't be used.

Lastly, several of my seedlings now have their second set of leaves. Albeit small leaves, they are present. At what point should I take them out from the covered container to breath and / or possibly replant?

The peat pellets are a bit too acidic for the preference of pepper plants. However, that doesn't necessarily mean they can't be used. I used them, and my plants are doing great.

One way you can address the pH issue is to ensure that the pH of the water you soak the pellets in is neutral. I didn't do that, but it is a takeaway for improvement for next grow season.

I have tried germinating with the peat pellets with horrible results.
I transplant my seedlings into thier own 3-4" containers when they have the first set of leaves.

I also had terrible results with those peat pellets. I do all my germinating now in zip lock bags and damp paper towels.

FadeToBlack said:
I have tried germinating with the peat pellets with horrible results.
I transplant my seedlings into thier own 3-4" containers when they have the first set of leaves.

I've tried many different seed starting mediums. Jiffy pellets are fine for peppers and really convenient. Just remove the netting and loosen the peat when it's time to transplant. If you're starting 50 or less plants Jiffy's are a great way to go. With more plants it's better to fill a whole cell tray with a seed starting mix.

FadeToBlack - you mentioned the first set of leaves. Do you mean the very first set of leaves?

Also, I am germinating in the pellets, just moving the germinated seeds from paper towel to pellet.

I have never had problems with the jiffy pellets -- I take the netting off before transplanting if I can depending if the roots have gone thru to much

UV -- I think what he means is the plants first true set of leaves the larger ones

I treated the Jiffy's the same as I did with the promix, only difference being keeping the jiffy lid on to retain moisture.
I had just about no germination with the jiffies and about 80% with the pro mix with the same seed stock.
I don't know what the deal is but they just do not work for me.

I meant the first set of true leaves for transplant.

I've used jiffys for probably 20 years but I don't use them for peppers anymore. They are a bit too acidic, are poor at holding proper moisture, and I just don't see the point in removing or cutting the netting when growing in cells with a good loose pH'd starting medium has proven to work much better for me. I still use jiffys for tomatoes and other plants with quick growing, aggresive root systems and I don't remove netting

Back