• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests aphids?

aphids.jpg

are these aphids ? this is the second infestation of these bugs/mites on the same plant.

the first infestation was at the young shoots/leaves it made it curl up and kills any growth in that area.(these were tiny black bugs/mites )

second infestation now it seems to go for the flowers!!!

how aphids travel ?

how do aphids seem to appear on plants when i don't see that they move fast nor they can fly ( no wings ) ?? or is that just a stage of its life cycle ?

They have the perfect camouflage, they're a translucent green color. Same as the leaves and stems. Plus they do most of their traveling under the leaves and stems.

Some aphids do have wings.

In spring an egg hatches, producing a wingless female aphid who soon begins parthenogenetically producing new wingless females. Generation after generation of wingless females survive one another until hot weather comes or maybe the plant on which they are living dies and then suddenly some of the females grow wings and fly off. At the right you see what a winged aphid may look like, though they come in many colors and shapes. This new generation of female winged aphid very well may at this time find a plant host of a completely different species from that on which their spring generations have developed. For instance, Green Peach Aphids overwinter as eggs on peach and related trees but in spring they move to various weeds and agricultural crops, and then still later they move to potato crops, only in the fall returning to peach and related trees.

aphid2.jpg

LINKY

I posted this informatiom in another thread as well, but it would be useful here also...

Forget about commercial pesticides!

: O

Here's what to do...

Get yourself a mist bottle filled with dish soapy water and spray the entire plant from top to bottom - getting the top as well as the undersides of the leaves, and stem and branches too.

Let the soapy mixture sit on the plant for 5 minutes, then rinse thoroughly with a hard spray of water. Repeat in about 8-10 hours. This will rid them.

To prevent them from returning and building up, you must shower the plants 2-3 times a week until they see that you are not going to give up and they will move somewhere else. Consistency is the key. Sometimes daily showers are needed, if they are a real problem.

The regular showers will blast the few buggers that are trying to build up again right off the plant! They never have a chance to take over because you are always coming at them with water. Helps with mites too.

: )

Also posted this in another thread:

For crawling, chewing bugs in the garden - boy have I got the answer for them...

Get yourself some whole cloves, bayleaf, crushed chili peppers, and some fresh or even granulated garlic. You now have the spices that will send the bugs packing! For chewing earwigs and other creepy crawly critters, make a complete circle of torn pieces of bayleaf around the stem of your plant. The spices shouldn't touch the stem, but be pretty close. If the problem is severe, make the circle thicker.

On top of the pieces of bayleaf, or beside it, make another circle of the whole cloves which will deter ants and other bugs too.

Then add a thin layer of crushed chili peppers, and garlic, if you are really having a nuisance of a problem.

You must be on top of it the rest of the season, adding fresh spices once a week or every two weeks, depending on your results. You must also add new spices after it rains. It isn't enough to just throw some spice down and forget about it the rest of the season, because like anything, the spice loses it's potency over time and needs to be refreshed to be effective.

I have 4 shrubs outside that are one of the bugs' favorites to munch on - Lycium Barbarum. If it weren't for my spices, I know they would be nothing but twigs! They are all growing completely untouched and unchewed because of the spices. I just love it. These shrubs to the bugs, are like steak to a lion, and they would have absolutely devoured them if I didn't do what I do.

Hope this advice helps, because I've been doing it for years, with excellent results. Be consistent, and the bugs don't stand a chance.

I have never had a problem with aphids....and I pray to the chilli gods that it stays like that....:)

I have 6 hab plants growing in an ebb-flow system in my living room. Now in the past two months I have nearly emptied a bottle of neem oil and just began using the safer's soap about two weeks ago...I STILL HAVE APHIDS! I am all for being "natural", but I need some tough chemicals that will kill these bugs. What is commercially available that will kill aphids on the first treatment?

The natural sprays (neem and safers soap) after two months of exposure to my plants they are struggling, I'd rather just give them one harsh shot of chemical killer that will rid all the living aphids on the plant. As for a chemical being sprayed in my house, I'll be gone all of next week so there will be no worries about inhaling the spray.

Any suggestions?

I'd recommend Sevin.

I used safers and a home concoction that consisted of garlic, onion, water and dishsoap, but didn't have any luck. The aphids took over despite repeated applications. Like you've noticed multiple applications with safers eventually takes it's toll on your plants. All of my plants look like they have rust on them now because of the attempts to get rid of pests.

When I asked for something at the local plant nursery they all but laughed at me when I told them I tried safers. They recommended Sevin and a fine mist sprayer. It took care of them and the spider mites in the first application. The aphids eventually came back because we have a few vines growing in the yard that are also covered with them.

I've also tried a product called Doktor Doom. It's name implies exactly what happens. Doom. The problem is that it also dooms any new growth by making it shrivel up and die. I won't use that again. Now I've got a bunch of ladybug larvae in there and don't really want to kill them with pesticides so I'm squishing the aphids I see and letting the ladybugs do their thing.

If you do try Sevin, you are not supposed to eat the fruit for at least 7 days after the application.

I had the same problem and regardless of the chemical used it didn't matter they just came back. I read that 1 surviving aphid can produce up to 27,000 offspring. So even if you miss one your screwed. The only thing that really worked for me is lady bugs mainly because like aphids they continue to breed and kill for a long time. 1 ladybug can eat a few hundred aphids a week so if you get a few hundred lady bugs it's only a matter of time before your problem goes away. Plus there offspring will keep on killing for you even if you miss a few. Plus no harmful soaps or chemicals are released to the plant.

Yes, LGHT is quite right.

Did you know you can buy lady bugs in large quantities, as well as other beneficial insects, and realease them onto your plants?

Maybe you should look into this...

You're very welcome and thank you for the compliment.

Please allow me to share my personal experience with commercial insecticides...

In a nut shell, they cost a whole lot of money, do a whole lot of damage, and still don't rid the problem entirely - sending you back to the store repeatedly, to shell out more money!

Using natural deterrents such as the ones I described above, are far less expensive, far more effective over the long run, and wont damage your plants or soil. Do not waste time or money shelling out for insecticides, when dish soap will kill aphids just as effectively.

Plants that are susceptable to mites, aphids, or whitefly, should be showered once or twice weekly to prevent infestation from returning. In fact there is no better bug ridder or deterrant than a simple consistent hard spray of water! It will blast the bugs right off your plants. Be sure to spray the undersides of the leaves most especially, because this is where bugs tend to take up residence.

Keeping bugs at bay, is an ongoing process. Even pesticides do not prevent bugs from returning. I am as relentless as the bugs are, with my showering, dish soap, and spice concoctions. Frankly, bugs are a thing of the past for me, both indoors and out.

Hope you guys will try some of my tips and see for yourself. Just remember to be consistent and you will win the battle. It might not be easy, but it works.

I think ladybugs are a fantastic solution, but they are a special order venture for my little slice of Canada. I was lucky enough to have ladybugs find their way into my greenhouse while I was trying to rid my plants of aphids with safers and a liquid dish soap solution I posted earlier. The aphids took over and the repeated applications has taken it's toll on my plants. They have rust looking spots all over them and a fair amount of dead spots towards the tips of the leaves. It was a losing battle. Now that the ladybugs are there they are holding down the fort, but I wouldn't have anything to speak of had they not eventually shown up.

I agree that keeping aphids at bay is an ongoing process. Having said that, I've found pesticides to be a more effective long term solution than the other options. One application of Sevin provided me with nearly 2 months of pest free growing. Winged aphids eventually found there way back in and established a foothold despite being sprayed again and again with dish soap solution, blasts of water from the hose and my continual squishing them.

As for expense, I purchased 250 ml of Sevin for $14.95 (CAN) plus tax. You mix it at a rate of 2.5 ml's per liter. That works out to 100 liters and at a cost of about $.15 a liter it's a cheap, effective way to control major outbreaks.

Although I wouldn't recommend using pesticides indoors, I also don't think releasing 1500 ladybugs in the living room would be that great an idea either, but that's just me :lol:

patrick said:
They have the perfect camouflage, they're a translucent green color. Same as the leaves and stems. Plus the do most of their traveling under the leaves and stems.
i think i did see them a few weeks ago under the leaves but they were fast! when i was about to squiss them it flew away.

Blister said:
Some aphids do have wings.
yup seen them now!

The Hollyberry Lady said:
I posted this informatiom in another thread as well, but it would be useful here also...
Forget about commercial pesticides!
Here's what to do...
Get yourself a mist bottle filled with dish soapy water and spray the entire plant from top to bottom - getting the top as well as the undersides of the leaves, and stem and branches too.
Let the soapy mixture sit on the plant for 5 minutes, then rinse thoroughly with a hard spray of water. Repeat in about 8-10 hours. This will rid them.
To prevent them from returning and building up, you must shower the plants 2-3 times a week until they see that you are not going to give up and they will move somewhere else. Consistency is the key. Sometimes daily showers are needed, if they are a real problem.
The regular showers will blast the few buggers that are trying to build up again right off the plant! They never have a chance to take over because you are always coming at them with water. Helps with mites too.
THANKS The Hollyberry Lady
I did that yesterday. my pepper plant took a shower with soap! :)

moyboy said:
I have never had a problem with aphids....and I pray to the chilli gods that it stays like that....:)
you are lucky!!!!

Conrad_Turbo said:
I have 6 hab plants growing in an ebb-flow system in my living room. Now in the past two months I have nearly emptied a bottle of neem oil and just began using the safer's soap about two weeks ago...I STILL HAVE APHIDS! I am all for being "natural", but I need some tough chemicals that will kill these bugs. What is commercially available that will kill aphids on the first treatment?

The natural sprays (neem and safers soap) after two months of exposure to my plants they are struggling, I'd rather just give them one harsh shot of chemical killer that will rid all the living aphids on the plant. As for a chemical being sprayed in my house, I'll be gone all of next week so there will be no worries about inhaling the spray.

Any suggestions?
what type of neem oil did you use ?? sometimes its very dilute of neem essence(mixed with other oils for volume)

Blister said:
I'd recommend Sevin.

I used safers and a home concoction that consisted of garlic, onion, water and dishsoap, but didn't have any luck. The aphids took over despite repeated applications. Like you've noticed multiple applications with safers eventually takes it's toll on your plants. All of my plants look like they have rust on them now because of the attempts to get rid of pests.

When I asked for something at the local plant nursery they all but laughed at me when I told them I tried safers. They recommended Sevin and a fine mist sprayer. It took care of them and the spider mites in the first application. The aphids eventually came back because we have a few vines growing in the yard that are also covered with them.

I've also tried a product called Doktor Doom. It's name implies exactly what happens. Doom. The problem is that it also dooms any new growth by making it shrivel up and die. I won't use that again. Now I've got a bunch of ladybug larvae in there and don't really want to kill them with pesticides so I'm squishing the aphids I see and letting the ladybugs do their thing.

If you do try Sevin, you are not supposed to eat the fruit for at least 7 days after the application.

I can't find sevin here

LGHT said:
I had the same problem and regardless of the chemical used it didn't matter they just came back. I read that 1 surviving aphid can produce up to 27,000 offspring. So even if you miss one your screwed. The only thing that really worked for me is lady bugs mainly because like aphids they continue to breed and kill for a long time. 1 ladybug can eat a few hundred aphids a week so if you get a few hundred lady bugs it's only a matter of time before your problem goes away. Plus there offspring will keep on killing for you even if you miss a few. Plus no harmful soaps or chemicals are released to the plant.
i don't think they sell ladybugs either here. :( i found them in my garden but there is too many aphids and too little of them ( two nos.)

Blister said:
I think ladybugs are a fantastic solution, but they are a special order venture for my little slice of Canada. I was lucky enough to have ladybugs find their way into my greenhouse while I was trying to rid my plants of aphids with safers and a liquid dish soap solution I posted earlier. The aphids took over and the repeated applications has taken it's toll on my plants. They have rust looking spots all over them and a fair amount of dead spots towards the tips of the leaves. It was a losing battle. Now that the ladybugs are there they are holding down the fort, but I wouldn't have anything to speak of had they not eventually shown up.

I agree that keeping aphids at bay is an ongoing process. Having said that, I've found pesticides to be a more effective long term solution than the other options. One application of Sevin provided me with nearly 2 months of pest free growing. Winged aphids eventually found there way back in and established a foothold despite being sprayed again and again with dish soap solution, blasts of water from the hose and my continual squishing them.

As for expense, I purchased 250 ml of Sevin for $14.95 (CAN) plus tax. You mix it at a rate of 2.5 ml's per liter. That works out to 100 liters and at a cost of about $.15 a liter it's a cheap, effective way to control major outbreaks.

Although I wouldn't recommend using pesticides indoors, I also don't think releasing 1500 ladybugs in the living room would be that great an idea either, but that's just me :lol:

i think of hitting the aphids hard with chemical first then control them using mild soap ,garlic , neem etc.
what do you all think ?????

Funny how each of us has a different experience, because you would never find an aphid on any one of my plants - not indoors nor out, and I never spend one red penny on insecticides nor the like.

Using chemicals in this day and age, with all we now know, is such a shame.

Well i guess your location is important also. i am in the tropics. lots lots of bugs here. i guess the weather also plays an important role. when i was in england, i did not see a single bug till spring/summer time.

in my mother in law's place , chilli plant grows wild there and these plant grow big and bushy without any ferts , etc. when one plant dies, there is already a replacement plant growing there.

Don't kid yourself - we have lots of bugs here too. Aphids, mites, whitefly, and fungus gnats still show up, but get blasted with my defenses and don't know what hit them.

My experience has been that I was bothered more by bugs when I used to use pesticides than I am now that I use more natural solutions.

Back