• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests aphids?

Stormin said:
Two of my Thai peppers had severe aphid infestation. Here's what I used to kill them.

In a clean spray bottle, I mixed
1 oz. Wesson Oil
1/4 oz. Dawn Antibacterial Dish Soap
1/4 oz. Listerine
6 oz. CocaCola
6 oz. Warm Water
Shake hard to mix. Spray the plant hard, be sure to soak the aphids.
Let the plant sit for two hours. Rinse spray bottle and spray down plant with clean warm water to remove the oil. All aphids were dead and no damage to the plants.

I still haven't seen any aphids since I sprayed this mixture onto my plants.

Guess I'll wade in...
I'm not exactly gay about the whole organic thing- quite the contrary, it's all pretty nonsensical to me unless you accept a lot of goofy assertions. So-called 'natural' and 'organic' sprays have killed more of my plants than aphids have- neem oil especially can kill weak plants. Man didn't get to where he is by disavowing the tools he has developed, and the fresh veggie aisle in your local grocery store isn't stocked full of delicious and cheap fresh goodness year 'round because farmers are giving their crops a bath in soda pop and listerine and soup seasonings- man has developed some extremely effective and safe chemicals that work. Among them is Sevin. It works. Use it as directed and you will still be alive and your children will not develop ADHD and antennae and a third nipple. The biggest problem with most all organic methods is that the vast majority of times it's sought after as a remedy it's too little too late- with the exception of Ladybugs, most every organic method is at best a minor annoyance to aphids and the like. If they are used proactively they can keep an infestation from occurring but once it's begun you'd be best off by bringing out the big guns.

Without preventive measures you will never win the battle. You'd be best off if, seasonally, you thoroughly sterilize all containers and if you're in a greenhouse, sterilize the greenhouse as well on a fairly regular basis. The best way to do both is with a large (1 or 2 gallon) pump sprayer filled with a 10% bleach solution. Spray down ALL surfaces in your greenhouse or your deck or wherever you are growing. Spray down ALL containers both inside and out and then spray them down with a garden hose. Use new soil for planting and repotting, and it's best to sterilize the dirt either in a microwave or oven prior to use.

Hinky said:
Guess I'll wade in...
I'm not exactly gay about the whole organic thing- quite the contrary, it's all pretty nonsensical to me unless you accept a lot of goofy assertions. So-called 'natural' and 'organic' sprays have killed more of my plants than aphids have- neem oil especially can kill weak plants. Man didn't get to where he is by disavowing the tools he has developed, and the fresh veggie aisle in your local grocery store isn't stocked full of delicious and cheap fresh goodness year 'round because farmers are giving their crops a bath in soda pop and listerine and soup seasonings- man has developed some extremely effective and safe chemicals that work. Among them is Sevin. It works. Use it as directed and you will still be alive and your children will not develop ADHD and antennae and a third nipple. The biggest problem with most all organic methods is that the vast majority of times it's sought after as a remedy it's too little too late- with the exception of Ladybugs, most every organic method is at best a minor annoyance to aphids and the like. If they are used proactively they can keep an infestation from occurring but once it's begun you'd be best off by bringing out the big guns.

Without preventive measures you will never win the battle. You'd be best off if, seasonally, you thoroughly sterilize all containers and if you're in a greenhouse, sterilize the greenhouse as well on a fairly regular basis. The best way to do both is with a large (1 or 2 gallon) pump sprayer filled with a 10% bleach solution. Spray down ALL surfaces in your greenhouse or your deck or wherever you are growing. Spray down ALL containers both inside and out and then spray them down with a garden hose. Use new soil for planting and repotting, and it's best to sterilize the dirt either in a microwave or oven prior to use.

Hinky, feel free to douche yourself with clorox once a day and dust yer self with sevin all you want.

My peppers are indoors for the winter. I really don'( like the idea of 50,000 ladybugs in my house. Maybe your house needs hosed with clorox. Mine doesn't.

It is also an hour trip to the nearest garden center. I used what I have, and it worked quite well.

finally !!

my plants are cleared of aphids.. with the help of the friendly lady bug. it did the work slow and steady, it manage to munch on the little aphids. hehe

Back