event Araluen's Fremantle Chilli Festival 2010

Hi Guys

For all you Aussies that haven't heard yet the Chilli festival will be held on the Fremantle Esplanade (WA) this year on 13th &14th March. It has been moved form Araluen as the crowds were getting too big and there wasn't enough parking and neighbours were complaining etc. So Araluen are still organising it but it will be held in Freo from now on.

We will be there and will also be launching 2 new HOT products as well as selling our usual stuff plus some new Tshirts I have designed. I have also donated some plants and seeds that Araluen have grown which will be on display. You can find us in one of the big tents. Scorpion Chilli will also be there so go and check their stuff out too.

It is looking to be a big event this year with them expecting around 20,000 - 30,000 people. They have also just recently found out that 2 cruise liners will be docking at the Fremantle Port on Sunday with one of them being The Queen Mary 2 (the biggest ship to ever dock in Freo!).

So head on down for a great day of tasting (& burning), great entertainment, drinking and chef demonstrations. Pass outs will be allowed (not of the drinking type) so that you can also have a look around Freo and then come back into the festival.

Ok I think I have said enough. See you there! :onfire:

Sat 13th 12noon - 8pm
Sun 14th 10am - 5pm
Entry $15 Adults, $8 from 5 -15yrs old, Family $40

And whats that all about startin time 12 noon Sat????? Oh well will have to start with a Chilli Beer:):)

Should be a Chilliwoodstock fest where we bring our swags, drink and eat Chilli all weekend:cool:

Micca

Micca302 said:
Should be a Chilliwoodstock fest where we bring our swags, drink and eat Chilli all weekend:cool:

Micca

"To get back to the warning that I received. You may take it with however many grains of salt that you wish. That the brown chillies that are circulating around us aren't too good. It is suggested that you stay away from that. Of course it's your own trip. So be my guest, but please be advised that there is a warning on that one, ok?"

I will be going on Sunday ... are there any chilli competitions on that I should know about so I can go win some $$$.

Micca302 said:
And whats that all about startin time 12 noon Sat????? Oh well will have to start with a Chilli Beer:):)

Micca

Yeah I might suggest it for one year but Freo wouldnt be big enough either!
Just gone down to setup and it looks like it will be an awesome weekend. I'm really pumped and excited, but still have last minute stuff to do.

Taj there arent really competitions as such except for stallholders where they will get the audience to judge the best tasting product and the hottest product. Each one is on a seperate day but can't remember which one is which.

See you guys there! (i'm stall 16, the double tent)

Well there goes another excellent Chillifest. Now gotta wait another year:(

Unfortunately didn't get to take bugger all pictures this year. Must have something to do with all the Chilli beers and Canefire Rums:lol: Next year I am definately going the 2days!

Well anyway heres a picture of what I scooped this year
rimg0016c.jpg

Hey I missed out getting some Smokey Jolokia sauce from Wildfire, any chance of keeping us a bottle Candice?
Looked like alot of people got down there, wander how many came through?

Anyway heres a few BadBoys that were not behaving that had to get locked up
rimg0013.jpg

7-Pod, TS and Bhut

Scorpion was on fire, taking out 7 people with their hottest sauce of the show! And i'm pretty sure that Wildfire took out an award too.

Micca

I will not forgive you Candice for putting those Bhuts, Scorps and 7Pots behind those bars.

If only my arms were a little longer ... ... ... :D

Beautiful looking plants, I will upload some photos later.

I went with my mum (it was her birthday) and I was a bit disappointed by it.

I expected it to be more lively, more entertainment going on etc. It would have been really good with organised competitions which were advertised, say having 3 chilli eating competitions per day, 12:00 2:00 and 4:00. Prizes could be just like a bottle of sauce or something, nothing major. The chef who was doing the cooking shows, whilst my mum knows him and says he is a really nice guy, they could not afford someone to do the camera work? It all seemed a little bit cheap to me ... as well as the microphone not really being that loud. The guys singing were not really that loud either, the main mic was too quite compared to the ambient noise and music.

$15 entry is a bit expensive, especially for the lack of entertainment. I only tasted 4 sauces, mainly because of the crowds around the table, and my mum was not really enthused about being there. I did the stupid thing of tasting Z from Wildfire ... after that I wasn't going to be able to taste anything else ... note to self, next time, extract sauces come last. I didn't buy any sauces as my fridge is full of them ... a lot of the vendors couldn't give two shits about the customers I noticed, and seemed quite bored with their jobs. Obvious exceptions are of course Wildfire Chilli, Scorpion Chilli, Chillifreak and a few others.

I got quite tired of hearing "This is the hottest sauce in the world" "This is the hottest blank" ... no ... just no ... they are really not. People who still claim Habaneros are the hottest in the world piss me off, or that a Habanero (red/orange concentrate) sauce can be hotter than say a Naga/Scorp (hybrid concentrate) sauce. I am not that fond of the hab sauces, whilst some of them can be really sweet and nice, the actually smell/taste of habaneros have never taken my fancy, and I hate the long burn compared to Nagas which are short but painful.

But then again not every is a chilli head, the general public is quite stupid in regards to anything, not just chilli.

I couldn't even get near the Scorpion Chilli tent because it was so packed everytime I walked pass. Even with Wildfire I had to stand there for a good couple of minutes to get to the counter.

But regardless of all the above, Araluen did a good job. The ample shade cloths were really a good idea, the free drinking water, thank god they actually thought ahead and arn't cheap compared to other events I have seen run. The ambo post made me laugh, but after what Candice was telling me happened the day before I seemed to miss all the action. I do believe that the chilli industry is just going to get bigger, as more people get hooked to the natural high associated with them.

FYI, the guy at the Nandos tent was the same asshole that banned me from his store for complaining there wasn't enough chilli sauce on the chicken.

Ahh Taj, are you a newbie to the Chilli fest?
Made those mistakes before my friend and learned two important things-
1st – rock up as the doors are opening and start taste testing first thing to miss the crowds.
2nd – Start at the mild first before burning all taste buds off. Made this mistake one year when I started off with Mega Death sauce and lost all taste. Was interesting though going around telling everyone that their “hot” sauce was mild!

Unfortunately I have never seen any Chilli eating comps being held at the fest which is a shame. Herbs’R’Us usually give a plant away to anyone that will eat A whole Hab, but not too sure if they did that this year.
There is a Chilli eating comp in about 2 weeks being held at Habaneros’4’Gringos factory and being supported by Chillifreak. The details should be on Chillifreaks website.

I was definitely disappointed with the entertainment too and the Bar section, but that’s the way it goes. Hopefully they will change it next year?

Micca

Micca, what is that behind the pepper?

thehotpepper.com said:
Micca, what is that behind the pepper?

They call it a Burner. It is a Chilli covered Chilli salami/dry sausage that is very tasty, but not really a “Burner”.

Micca

SeeYouJimmy said:
At least one of you enjoyed yourselves, nice selection you have there Micca. Does Dave have any Scorpion Blood on the go?

He did have some yesterday at the fest. Hopefully he has got some left.

Micca

I think Araluen did quite a good job with Fremantle, and considering it was their first year in a new location there are always going to be some bumps in the road. They could have had the drinking area advertised a bit more instead of having it hiding at the back for example, but you learn as you go on.
It was quite a good weekend and we were flat out the whole time. No time for breaks for food or toilets but it was good to be busy. Not sure of the numbers that went through yet but will probably find out this week. I think we would have had a record attendance and am pretty proud that so many Aussies enjoy their chilli.

Thanks Micca for all that Jerky, it was a life saver! Even though it was a bit hard talking to customers while chewing on jerky :) I didn't get a chance to talk to you much and was hoping that Adam had given you some sauce, so next time we see ya we will give you some and some of the Hot Embers spice if you like.

Anyway I will post some photos later. Am going to try and have a break from chilli for a few days and get back to normal.

Wildfire Chilli Australia said:
Thanks Micca for all that Jerky, it was a life saver! Even though it was a bit hard talking to customers while chewing on jerky :) I didn't get a chance to talk to you much and was hoping that Adam had given you some sauce, so next time we see ya we will give you some and some of the Hot Embers spice if you like.

Not a problem Candice with the Jerky, hope it wasn't too hot for ya.
Cool with the sauce and Hot Embers, Cheers guys.
Definately catch up for a BBQ after some recovery:cool:

Hey Taj,
Here is a link to Chillifreaks website-
http://www.chillifreak.com/Default.aspx?f=pv&ctr=Default&mid=4&pid=4&page_id=79
The Chilli eating comp starts soon and you will find an enrty form on the page.
Last years winner had 9 Peppers and some extract sauce, so pretty full on. But i'm sure you could handle heaps more than that;)
They say theres more than $700 worth of goodies up for grabs:cool:

Micca

Micca302 said:
Not a problem Candice with the Jerky, hope it wasn't too hot for ya.
Cool with the sauce and Hot Embers, Cheers guys.
Definately catch up for a BBQ after some recovery:cool:

Hey Taj,
Here is a link to Chillifreaks website-
http://www.chillifreak.com/Default.aspx?f=pv&ctr=Default&mid=4&pid=4&page_id=79
The Chilli eating comp starts soon and you will find an enrty form on the page.
Last years winner had 9 Peppers and some extract sauce, so pretty full on. But i'm sure you could handle heaps more than that;)
They say theres more than $700 worth of goodies up for grabs:cool:

Micca

No it was just right. We actually finished all the hot ones first then had the medium left. I love hot stuff just cant bite into a whole superhot like you can :lol:

Adam was actually in the chillifreak comp last year and came third. They were eating monster size habs for ages before moving onto some sauce and a baby naga. 1st prize was some hydro gear, the 2 peop,le left actually went halves in 1st prize and second prize cos they could keep going. Adams prize was a chilli freak cap, drink bottle and 2x Hab 4 Gringos sauces.

Back