• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Are Aphids selective of the plants they attack ?

I got a hot pepper bush which is aphids free and beside it i got a Yam/taro root plant . This taro plant has hundreds of olive green aphids. it covers the leaves and the stems.
the strange thing is that non of the aphids are on the hot pepper plant ? Both the plants are planted on the ground. i am wondering why.. i did kill all the aphids on the taro plant once but it came again.. even more in numbers...

what should i do ?? leave it like that or go for the kill again..( i don't think the aphids are effecting the taro plant much.

Hay srin2

They like the hot ones too. multiply like rabbits, I think they prefer the weak, personaly I would try to eradicate them.

I've had them before myself, didn't take long and they were out of control! I hate em!!!!!!!!

Best of luck, SC

Hay srin2

They like the hot ones too. multiply like rabbits, I think they prefer the weak, personaly I would try to eradicate them.

I've had them before myself, didn't take long and they were out of control! I hate em!!!!!!!!

Best of luck, SC
i hate them also(use to squash them between my fingers but i am seeing something here. i mean they are not disturbing my pepper plants and its been more than a month.i am of course cautious if any of the taro plant touches my pepper plant i cut them off. hehe

and the pepper plant manage to become a big bush (for the first time that i did not have to fight the aphids and the plant is healthy.)

I think they attack lots of plants, i have been lucky so far and havent had any here with any of my overwintered plants or new seedlings. But at my moms house in her sunroom, it seems they are attacking overwintered pepperoncini, habanero, small lemon tree's, and a few other of her household plants i dont know the names of.

they are not selective.

but sometimes it appears that way, like habaneros, but in my experience they focus on where their eggs have dropped.

many times it appear like they are attracted to the habs, but if you blast the soil with aphid killer, you will find them on annuums and they will focus on that plant until you zap them. many times i look at my plants and wonder why did they pick my orange habs. then i nuke them. then you see them bunched on a sannam and wonder what is the difference. the key is to nuke them on the first plant they munch on. they will then move on to the next.

I think they attack lots of plants, i have been lucky so far and havent had any here with any of my overwintered plants or new seedlings. But at my moms house in her sunroom, it seems they are attacking overwintered pepperoncini, habanero, small lemon tree's, and a few other of her household plants i dont know the names of.
hmm u have been lucky! 2 years i had problems of them attacking every pepper plants i had.

they are not selective.

but sometimes it appears that way, like habaneros, but in my experience they focus on where their eggs have dropped.

many times it appear like they are attracted to the habs, but if you blast the soil with aphid killer, you will find them on annuums and they will focus on that plant until you zap them. many times i look at my plants and wonder why did they pick my orange habs. then i nuke them. then you see them bunched on a sannam and wonder what is the difference. the key is to nuke them on the first plant they munch on. they will then move on to the next.
so if i nuke them on the taro plant they might moved to my annuums beside ? i would hate to spray anything on my pepper plant now that its has many pods on it.

that's right srin, the little fuckers just keep moving. as an experiment, take an innocent plant that has aphids and squish a few and what their behaviour, when they get the smell of fresh killed aphid, they will literally allow themselves to fall off a plant to the ground. if you don't pick up on this, they will attack the same plant, just climbing back up off the branches that they fell. but if you zap the plant as well, with a substance they that doesn't appeal to them, they move on.

that's right srin, the little fuckers just keep moving. as an experiment, take an innocent plant that has aphids and squish a few and what their behaviour, when they get the smell of fresh killed aphid, they will literally allow themselves to fall off a plant to the ground. if you don't pick up on this, they will attack the same plant, just climbing back up off the branches that they fell. but if you zap the plant as well, with a substance they that doesn't appeal to them, they move on.
thanks Mark. that explains a lot when i squash them they keep coming back to the same plant. my early times , this use to happen always. until the plant gives up on life! i lost quite a lot of plants this way.. u know trying to be organic and not using any chemicals on the plant. i did evolve away from that concept..when i keep losing plants to aphids. i think i will spray neem oil first on my pepper plant then go for the aphids on the next plant.!

the key thing is to note, they will move on, they are always in survival mode. you have to kill the aphids that exist, then clean the plant, as you know, they will hide in the smallest of locations. you then have to clean the soil surface around the cleansed plant. the surviving aphids will move on, that is why one day you look at a plant with no aphids and 2 days later they are at the top leaves. as days elapse and the product you use to suppress the aphids disolves, they return to the first plant...mainly because they can hide so well.

many times i have squished aphids off a plant, thinking i zapped all of them, return to the plant only to find several more. this was only do, to my lazy attempt to remove the aphids. now i target a plant, squish the aphids that i can see. knowing many will just drop to the soil. i spray the plant and skim about 1/4" of soil away, then return a few hours later to inspect the plant and remove any aphids that have decided to return. once they are gone i replace the soil with a fresh topping. this usually cures the plant for at least a month or longer before i notice any return visitors.

until you can get a natural predator to help you will have to use some form of pesticide and it can be organic. recently there has been a post on natural aphid repelents posted.

good luck

the key thing is to note, they will move on, they are always in survival mode. you have to kill the aphids that exist, then clean the plant, as you know, they will hide in the smallest of locations. you then have to clean the soil surface around the cleansed plant. the surviving aphids will move on, that is why one day you look at a plant with no aphids and 2 days later they are at the top leaves. as days elapse and the product you use to suppress the aphids disolves, they return to the first plant...mainly because they can hide so well.

many times i have squished aphids off a plant, thinking i zapped all of them, return to the plant only to find several more. this was only do, to my lazy attempt to remove the aphids. now i target a plant, squish the aphids that i can see. knowing many will just drop to the soil. i spray the plant and skim about 1/4" of soil away, then return a few hours later to inspect the plant and remove any aphids that have decided to return. once they are gone i replace the soil with a fresh topping. this usually cures the plant for at least a month or longer before i notice any return visitors.

until you can get a natural predator to help you will have to use some form of pesticide and it can be organic. recently there has been a post on natural aphid repellent posted.

good luck

thanks a lot for your info. i will do that as soon as possible. its raining heavy now... i wonder if its raining at home as well. everything is going to be wet!

In my experience when the plants go outside the aphids die because the bugs that eat them live outside.. Ive only had severe aphid problems indoors...but I agree KILL THE BASTARDS!

good luck!

xo

+1 on the Ladybugs. I pray for a pest free season, but so help me, if an issue crops up, I'm sending in the polko dot soldiers for sure.

http://www.marchbiological.com/beneficial-insects/view-all-products/

http://gardeningzone.com/index_25_61_63.html

KILL 'EM ALL!!! Get some nice hungry ladybugs and they will take care of your aphid problems!
i don't think they will sent those ladybugs to malaysia :( but i did see some ladybugs on my pepper plant and another insect which i will take photo later to find out what are those.

In my experience when the plants go outside the aphids die because the bugs that eat them live outside.. Ive only had severe aphid problems indoors...but I agree KILL THE BASTARDS!

good luck!

xo
i got hundreds of them now.. need to take some action tomorrow.. by the time i am back home today it will be late and dark. so far the pepper plant is ok... just having some nutes problem.
thanks nicole for your luck :)

+1 on the Ladybugs. I pray for a pest free season, but so help me, if an issue crops up, I'm sending in the polko dot soldiers for sure.

http://www.marchbiological.com/beneficial-insects/view-all-products/

http://gardeningzone.com/index_25_61_63.html
thanks for the links but i don't think they can sent out of US. :(

Cool Video!!! SC
the bugs are all adults.. how do they survive in that tiny beg..

Excellent video SC! "Here ladybug, ladybug, ladybug! Come eat some big, fat, juicy aphids for daddy...."
hehehehe

Back