• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Are Aphids selective of the plants they attack ?

That video lists a few other bugs that will eat 'em. Kinda surprised they didn't mention a Praying Mantis. They eat anything that they can catch.

Surely you can find a company over your way that will send some good bugs..... One of the nice Aussies on here is in the know I'll bet =)

And yes, I did just call you Shirley!

That video lists a few other bugs that will eat 'em. Kinda surprised they didn't mention a Praying Mantis. They eat anything that they can catch.

Surely you can find a company over your way that will send some good bugs..... One of the nice Aussies on here is in the know I'll bet =)

And yes, I did just call you Shirley!
i think importing insects will be a problem with the customs. i think i have to get some time to lure ladybugs here. i do get lots of ladybug but its the 12 spotted ones. the adults and its larva is more busy eating my plant up then helping me get rid of aphids. it nearly killed my brinjal/eggplant plant. one of my old post has those devastating pictures.

I'd google around then and see what you can do to attract that species. Maybe you can get some of the bags to cover the eggplant with. The ones you use to cover peppers so you don't get hybrid seeds (forgot the name!) Then the ladybugs can be brought in by the eggplant, but since they can't get to it they must resort to aphids. That's all I got for now.....getting.......sleepy.........

Not to sure the 12 spotted ones are ladybugs, I think there Japanese Beatles, and there behavior is different! kinda like honey bees and African honey bees. I believe a true ladybug only has like 5 or 7 spots, maybe less and the black spot are large.

We literally have an infestation of Japanese Beatles around here in Wisconsin, they will congregate certain times of the year. not sure I could put enough zero's behind a 9 there are so many,

Don't really know if they eat aphids or not, maybe so; I haven't seen an aphid in the 10 years I've lived here.

I have had them before when I lived in Michigan and I feel sorry for any one that has to deal with em.

But look at the bright side! O maybe there is none!

Good hunting, SC

Cool Video!!! SC
the bugs are all adults.. how do they survive in that tiny beg..

They were having an orgy, suppliers just through in a few tangled twigs and they love the close quarters!

Have you read my above post, I have a straw hat for gardening, (don't say it) anyway I left it lying upside down on the transplant table one fall; in the spring i found they had almost filled the entire hat, I burned it.!!!!!!!!!!

Just in there nature I guess, I'd hate to be the ladybug at the bottom, you'd have to put up with all the crap.LOL

Cheers SC

Not to sure the 12 spotted ones are ladybugs, I think there Japanese Beatles, and there behavior is different! kinda like honey bees and African honey bees. I believe a true ladybug only has like 5 or 7 spots, maybe less and the black spot are large.

We literally have an infestation of Japanese Beatles around here in Wisconsin, they will congregate certain times of the year. not sure I could put enough zero's behind a 9 there are so many,

Don't really know if they eat aphids or not, maybe so; I haven't seen an aphid in the 10 years I've lived here.

I have had them before when I lived in Michigan and I feel sorry for any one that has to deal with em.

But look at the bright side! O maybe there is none!

Good hunting, SC
thanks Sc

but i think this is the ladybug that i have common in my garden.

IMGP7276-600.jpg

Identification
Most ladybirds are beneficial to the garden, but Twenty Eight Spot Ladybirds can be leaf eating pests. They are fairly large ladybirds The larvae are yellow with stiff dark hairs.The larvae are easy to recognize because they are yellowish creamy colour, with a frizzy outline and they feed on the undersides of the leaves. they can continuously eat 24 hrs a day.

Good on ace, I stand corrected, I new the bad ones had more spots, and they also bite.

SC

Interesting Name: Do you know if they are actually called, (slang) ladybugs or ladybirds?

Any suggestions for keeping the little guys interested in sticking around after the feeding frenzy? I've been kicking around the idea of buying a "ladybug house" to try to keep them from flying off after the feast.

Good on ace, I stand corrected, I new the bad ones had more spots, and they also bite.

SC

Interesting Name: Do you know if they are actually called, (slang) ladybugs or ladybirds?
hmm i did not notice that difference.. i just copy and paste it from a garden website
i just googled it and found that they all refer it as ladybirds.

Any suggestions for keeping the little guys interested in sticking around after the feeding frenzy? I've been kicking around the idea of buying a "ladybug house" to try to keep them from flying off after the feast.

They like vegetation at ground level to hide/hibernate in. I have alyssum growing below a lot of my chillies and the ladybugs hang out down there and just cruise the chillies looking for treats before retreating to the alyssum to rest and hide.

They will hibernate in there for the winter too if it doesnt get too cold. If it does thats when I presume you would need a ladybird/bug house for them.

They like vegetation at ground level to hide/hibernate in. I have alyssum growing below a lot of my chillies and the ladybugs hang out down there and just cruise the chillies looking for treats before retreating to the alyssum to rest and hide.

They will hibernate in there for the winter too if it doesnt get too cold. If it does thats when I presume you would need a ladybird/bug house for them.
Sanggroper . thanks for the info. :)

hey sri, as i was at my local library today studying various topics it hit me that my original response to your question may not have been completetly accurate.

for those aphids that attack peppers, they don't care which pepper plant they attack other than they stay close to where they were born until they run out of food or something scares them off.

however, there are those aphids that do focus on just one type of plant like the black cherry aphid....but i didn't think this was your question and didn't think you were being bothered by black cherry aphids.

aphids are complexed, though a simple creature, they don't come in a one size fits all bug. some lay eggs, some bare their young live and some do just focus on one type of plant, the ones the target peppers also look to tomatoes and other green foliage to feed on.

the aphids i have, in my house, travel from my italian parsley, peppers, goji berry and some other flowering plants i have(can't remember what they are called) and they don't touch my easter cactus. the information i provided before should only be followed with container plants and a few outdoor garden plants because any more than that, then you lose control of the ability to target the aphids. All my plants are in 1 gallon containers and readily easy for me to address and control.

i do have a sapping type tree in my yard, that in some summers produces extreme aphid populations, that i do spray with just plain water to knock them out of the tree. last year, for whatever reason i had very few aphids in the tree. the year before(2009) i couldn't walk in the grass under he tree as it was so sticky with aphid juice. i actually took out a pail of soapy water and a hard brissell broom and had to scrub the grass. at the same time, my ant population went crazy as did my ladybugs. often, i would pick up ladybug larvae and move them to my pepper plants. you have to remember that my pepper plants, for the most part are brought inside in the evening due to the cold. i have several totes that i fill with like minded pepper plants and just carry them from my deck into my house in the evening.

for outdoor plants, depending on how many you have, would get up early and manually squish as many as i could. then i would spray them will a botanical insecticide. one product i have uses Pyrethrin daisy extract as its fighting agent. does it work.. somewhat. i found some aphids on my dwc plants early this morning so after squishing the visible aphids, i gave the plants a dose of this juice. 4 hours later i return to find more aphids, that just moved from their hiding spots to the outter leaf.......ya....i squished them too. tonight, they seem to be aphid free, in this case i have no soil to remove and any that fall into the nutrient resavoir become nutrient.

hope that helps and i hope i didn't confuse you as i thought about it all day.

this is what i was talking abt. aphids in this post
p1040383s.jpg

a zoom shot of the aphids in the next plant (taro/yam plant)
p1040384s.jpg

hey sri, as i was at my local library today studying various topics it hit me that my original response to your question may not have been completetly accurate.

for those aphids that attack peppers, they don't care which pepper plant they attack other than they stay close to where they were born until they run out of food or something scares them off.

however, there are those aphids that do focus on just one type of plant like the black cherry aphid....but i didn't think this was your question and didn't think you were being bothered by black cherry aphids.

aphids are complexed, though a simple creature, they don't come in a one size fits all bug. some lay eggs, some bare their young live and some do just focus on one type of plant, the ones the target peppers also look to tomatoes and other green foliage to feed on.

the aphids i have, in my house, travel from my italian parsley, peppers, goji berry and some other flowering plants i have(can't remember what they are called) and they don't touch my easter cactus. the information i provided before should only be followed with container plants and a few outdoor garden plants because any more than that, then you lose control of the ability to target the aphids. All my plants are in 1 gallon containers and readily easy for me to address and control.

i do have a sapping type tree in my yard, that in some summers produces extreme aphid populations, that i do spray with just plain water to knock them out of the tree. last year, for whatever reason i had very few aphids in the tree. the year before(2009) i couldn't walk in the grass under he tree as it was so sticky with aphid juice. i actually took out a pail of soapy water and a hard brissell broom and had to scrub the grass. at the same time, my ant population went crazy as did my ladybugs. often, i would pick up ladybug larvae and move them to my pepper plants. you have to remember that my pepper plants, for the most part are brought inside in the evening due to the cold. i have several totes that i fill with like minded pepper plants and just carry them from my deck into my house in the evening.

for outdoor plants, depending on how many you have, would get up early and manually squish as many as i could. then i would spray them will a botanical insecticide. one product i have uses Pyrethrin daisy extract as its fighting agent. does it work.. somewhat. i found some aphids on my dwc plants early this morning so after squishing the visible aphids, i gave the plants a dose of this juice. 4 hours later i return to find more aphids, that just moved from their hiding spots to the outter leaf.......ya....i squished them too. tonight, they seem to be aphid free, in this case i have no soil to remove and any that fall into the nutrient resavoir become nutrient.

hope that helps and i hope i didn't confuse you as i thought about it all day.
hmm a bit confused... but let me sleep over it. :)
i never had aphids till a few years ago my wife brought back some vegetables that were cover with them. she did not notice it then. So i just threw it in my garden where i throw my vegetable cuttings.( did not know aphids were that time, should have :flamethrower: ) a year after that i started to have aphids very season! but this time i think they have reduced in numbers of plants they attack and kept away from my pepper plants. last attack was last year on my seedlings.

Back