• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pubescens Are Capsicum pubescens Leaves Edible?

Are Capsicum pubescens Leaves Edible?

I smelled some fallen leaves from my Capsicum pubescens Plant. They smelled like hot peppers, however, when I started chewing one, I wasn't comfortable with the taste, and spit it out. It reminded me of some random bush leaf that one would not normally eat.

Are these leaves edible? Is there anything unsafe about eating them?

Thanks

If you eat enough you'll get a hairy tongue? I'm not actually sure but don't see any reason why you couldn't eat a leaf.

Yep, as MrArboc said... nightshades are known for having many poisonous parts, and some all-around poisonous plants in general. As good as the plants might smell... just stick to the peppers themselves. I wouldn't risk it.

I have heard that Scotch Bonnet leaves are edible, in Asia they are stuffed with rice, in much the same way that vine leaves are in Greece, I expect they are either steamed or boiled first before eating.

I suppose you could and people from Asia will eat anything. I wouldn't but only because I want peppers . Leaves are the solar panels for my pepper plants. I'd think if you cut off many leaves the plant would be harmed somewhat and not produce as many pods.

Peace and happy eating,
P. Dreadie

Antonio said:
I have heard that Scotch Bonnet leaves are edible, in Asia they are stuffed with rice, in much the same way that vine leaves are in Greece, I expect they are either steamed or boiled first before eating.

I didn't even know Scotch Bonnets was grown in Asia.

MrArboc said:
I didn't even know Scotch Bonnets was grown in Asia.

It was something I read in one of these forums over the weekend, but as I am not able to find it again, and because it does not make sense, I would suggest not trying this at home.

Maybe if you boil the leaves they are edible? I remember MANY years ago when I was in my early teens I ate poison ivy pie. You know I thought I would never say this but HOLY CRAP was it good. But I remember that the trick was you had to boil the leaves twice in order to remove the poisons from it. I suppose it might be worth looking into if you were serious about it in some kind of cuisine but otherwise id listen to everyone one else and not eat any more.

Why even chew leaves when you have peppers? Doesnt make much sense to me... Like eating a paper plate that had a juicy cheeseburger on it...

Silver_Surfer said:
Park a goat next to your plant and ask him if it's edible. :lol:

I can tell you with near certainty that goats will eat most ANYTHING. That is why I am sending my two goats off to summer camp (read friends house that has overgrowth in the back 10 acres) I have grown to like the dang goats and wouldn't want them to get a case of "fatal lead poisoning" if I looked out into the back yard and was now minus many pepper plants.

Maligator said:
I can tell you with near certainty that goats will eat most ANYTHING. That is why I am sending my two goats off to summer camp (read friends house that has overgrowth in the back 10 acres) I have grown to like the dang goats and wouldn't want them to get a case of "fatal lead poisoning" if I looked out into the back yard and was now minus many pepper plants.

Yes they will and clearing underbrush is all I've ever used them for, except for inviting a few to a BBQ on the 4th of July. :)

Back