• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Are you cutting back the grow in 2017 or expanding?

I'm expanding, by default-- this is my first year growing at home.  I've never grown chiles on any kind of scale before, beyond helping to grow quite a few plants on a large area of land, which was totally unlike how folks tend to grow on a commercial level. (It was a work assignment; a jobsite for adults with DD...)  My home/hobby set-up won't be anything like that, as far as size and as far as how i intend to organize it.  I've been reading quite a bit, but I'm having trouble visualizing how much room I'll really have and how that will translate to total number of plants, and how many varieties, etc.  My seed stash, though very young, is already too big for my space, thanks to magnanimous members on THP and my own overzealous efforts to hoard seeds.

Cutting back. Too many to care after with ferts, water, etc. Never got around to TLC like epsom spray and aphid control. I had my favorites, however. 80+ seedlings, plants, over winters.

I tripled my production last year and expanded to about 400 plants. I only have so much room in the greenhouse, so next year, the number will remain the same. I will be expanding the types and reduce the numbers of certain types, like cutting back on reapers. Expanding killer chocolates. Tom

I'll be redesignating space...I always save a little space for new varieties to try out but some of my plants exceeded my allocated spacing so that requires a bit of reconsideration for next years locations.

I'm going to be focusing on the baccatum and pubescens family of peppers primarily. I'll still grow my bhuts, bonda ma jaques, Jigsaw Gators (love these), and some annums too. Those aji and rocoto plants grow LARGE and need a bit more space!!!

Gonna go with about the same number - two dozen or so.  My growing area is limited.  I'll overwinter maybe half that allocation.  

This year I grew only 4 Supers, two of which didn't produce more than a few scrawny pods.  (Some Chinense just don't like the stupid heat.)
I might actually plant a few more stupid-hots next year. Some of the crazy-looking pods (The Devil's Duodenum and the like) are fun to give to people. 

Other than that, I've got another half-dozen baccatum varieties to try, plus a few PL varieties that I need to buy.

I only grew one single superhot this year (BOC - thanks to Jameson for the seeds), but plan on growing quite a few more next season.
But over all, I'll be growing about 25-30 pepper plants that will include the obligatory Poblanos and Jalapeños, and at least two varieties of Scotch Bonnets, plus several superhots from Mojo Peppers.

BTW: Still hoping that Judy restocks soon  :)

Moving from my south facing balcony to an allotment garden. So will be a big expansion. Now just need to find out how many peppers I can grow as I also want to grow some "normal" food. If all goes well I'll sign up for a garden twice as big the next season

I am gonna have a bonnet grow next season if all goes well.
So far one bonnet hybrid that to me if it grows similar will be more like sbj7 2.0
Baccatums will be grown at moms.
The total of plants so far is 24 to 36

Had 63 plants this year, will be cutting back to about 40. This was the third year for rocotos, and will be my last. I had 4 Giant Mexican Rocotos, and got 3 ripe peppers total.
Tried Paper Lanterns and 7 Pot white and loved them. Tried Cumra Cherry, and couldn't eat them. They seem to have a super hard shell that even after stuffing and roasting, was inedible.
I love Red Trinidad Congos, and will always grow them. I'll be growing Tabasco and yellow fatalli, for drying.
And of course japs, cayenne, and Thai Priks for everyday eating. Oh and a few Ajis for a different flavor both fresh and dried.

I had 55 varieties this year at around 175 plants total, there were so many plants I wanted to try.  Next I am cutting back to no more than 30 varieties but will grow the same amount of plants.  My concerns are about controlling or better controlling cross pollination if possible. 

cheers

Cutting back on chinenses here, way to floral,sopay tasting for me. Gonna go with more ajis and annums as they are more guest friendly at my house.

Back