• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

areo garden

I have a small areo garden that really grows well till the plants get tall, but when I transplant the peppers into soil they all have died! What can I do to insure they will live? Am I suppose to clip the roots or leave them, do I clip the top or leave it?
thanks Pappy

Leave it all...I have transplanted 2 from Aerogardens this season that almost died. I had to get them into the NICU! It really pisses them off, thats for sure! All I did, was put them in quality soil, and kept the roots moist.... They took a hard fall for 2 weeks or so, then bounced back!

Leave it all...I have transplanted 2 from Aerogardens this season that almost died. I had to get them into the NICU! It really pisses them off, thats for sure! All I did, was put them in quality soil, and kept the roots moist.... They took a hard fall for 2 weeks or so, then bounced back!
thats what I did but I have lost 6 plants in good soil doing that!

Sounds like a shock going from hydro to dirt, I would give super thrive or some other B vitamin supplement a try. This should help control the trauma of transplanting.

Sounds like a shock going from hydro to dirt, I would give super thrive or some other B vitamin supplement a try. This should help control the trauma of transplanting.
+1 - I think using a transplanter of some kind is a good idea in any case.
Most contain some B-1. I've been using Lily Miller for a number
of years with good success. It provides some mineral nutrients
as well as the B-1. Good luck!

Good info!
Was considering a couple of them for early starting next year, but was worried if they would make the transfer to dirt.
Had sucess with root tone on cuttings of "different" plants decades ago, but never tried it on established roots.
Any one have luck with it for hydro transplants?
Don't really want to risk expensive frankenchili seeds on a test. :confused:
And you know some wierd new frankenchili will be forthcoming somewhere this season.
Hopefully, quite a few.

this my aerogarden, transferred them in my 3gallon smart pots, i never put anything on them just watered them thoroughly, and put in the shade for 1 week or 2 and introduce them to full sun after

Feb 1 to march 13 in aerogarden
IMG_1306.jpg

March 13 transferred them to 3gallon Smart Pots
2012-03-13145312.jpg

2012-03-13150012.jpg

2012-03-13150257.jpg

2012-03-13145339.jpg

2012-03-13150503.jpg

march 22 9days later after transfer
2012-03-22164618.jpg

June 17
IMG_0578.jpg

thanks for the info on getting a transplant supplement! I curled the roots just like you did but bamb all died and in partial shade. early morning sun and noon till sundown shade! will give it a try again!

Was gonna say ask Pinoypride. And then poof I see him reply. I'm going to be transplanting them soon as well. Good to know. I think I will transfer and only give hardening suntime. Hope mine do well. :).

I just transplanted from hydro to soil last night. So far she looks good, and were supposed to have overcast and rainy weather for a few days, so I think it'll have plenty of time to adjust before it gets too warm.

You could also transplant them into passive hydroponic pots instead of dirt, not so different from aeroponics so the shock wouldn't be quite as big, and passive hydro works just great for chilis.

I was recently considering transplanting some TMS into aeroponics and am wondering if doing so will decrease the overall spiciness of the peppers.
Another question was the optimal level of humidity for them to be growing in. About this thread I would recommend using hydroponics as a sort of bridge stage between aero and soil.

Back